Summit Kids
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

Summit Kids Employee Reviews

Canada66 reviews

kidchildownerparentfeelstaffschoolbad

Unstable and Scary CEO...don't trust her.

I feel like over the last few years, the quality has gone WAY down. When I first joined Summit Kids, I felt supported, was given excellent resources & professional development opportunities. But somewhere along the line..everything changed. Operations Management had no power to make any changes or do anything to help the program supervisors. This was due, in my opinion to the extreme instability of the CEO and her decision making ability. First one thing, than another.....change after random, non-sensical change. No clear direction for the company's path...taking off on holidays ..leaving everyone wondering what they were supposed to do and giving NO CLEAR LEADERSHIP to operations management who are left to answer all the questions of the supervisors..and having no answers. The only reason I stayed so long was my dedication to my program, kids &staff. And I never recieved ANY recognition of my hard work and dedication. I eventually burned out and left because I just couldn't take it anymore. Also....a t-shirt is NOT a reward for years of dedication and hard work...and they were UGLY to..

A company with fresh and innovative approach , an idea that good enough isn’t good enough .

In all honesty Summitkids is a good company. They strive hard for the benefits of children, parents and employees. It provides a relaxed work environment for employees and a safe and conducive environment where children are cared for, and engaged with planned programmes. Parents, employees and children are respected, supported and carefully cared for. Summit just is a productive and fun working place. Team work is what I also admire here in Summit kids. The management also works hard to make summitkids like a family.

Insights into Summit Kids

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Best Company I’ve Been Part Of!

Summit Kids has provided the best work environment I have experienced in child care ! Summit management absolutely loves what they do, and it shows! The work culture is like a family and always supportive. Programming expectations are high but it pays off everyday. The kids absolutely love what we do and working here is always a new adventure!

Best job I've ever had

I love this company, I have worked with Summit for 2 years and it is by far the best most rewarding job I have ever had.They have given 2 rounds of raises to every employee in the time I have been there as well as a bonus for referring a friend if they hire them ($300!). At our team meeting before school started one girl got $900 cash for referring 3 people.The company cares about kids and staff and it shows.

Pros

Staff events & parties

Management is completely inept

Run, run far far away, this place is absolute garbagio and is not worth your time. Lord forbid you consider sending your kids to this hole. The management knows nothing about children’s wells being.

Pros

Quitting

Cons

Everything but the kids themselves

Awful management

Unprofessional company. They should not be in business as management consistently undermines their workers in the field by creating new rules like needing to shuffle staff around schools. In what world is that helping us build relationships with these kids? Nobody in management understands early childhood education and honestly should not be running a business like this. They're not in it for the kids. They just want money. Run as far as you can from this company.

Revolving Management

It's really odd to see such a high turnover with Management for a Before and After School program, it speans to the toxicity of the environment up there. It's chaotic, disorganized, and there's always a new system being put in place. The behaviour and language used is unprofessional and everyone lives in fear of the CEO.

Great programs

You get to make up your own programs which consists of a combination of you and the kids ideas, strengths, and interests. Supplies aren't always available so the programs van get very interesting with a limited amount of supplies to get the program where it should be. Staff is friendly and caring and team work is very important.

Amazing Leadership Development

I understand that everyone has a different perspective, and not everyone is the right fit for a specific child care company. From my perspective, I don’t think the happy people are submitting reviews here.Summit Kids is unique. I have personally had two positive experiences as a Campus Lead at Summit Kids. I actually left for a few years to pursue other teaching jobs, and returned, craving the structure and the energy that a position at Summit Kids can provide.The standards might be higher than at other child care places that I have worked, but the opportunities to learn and grow are endless. I feel that the professional development opportunities were outstanding at Summit Kids, and so was the support that I received from the management.I was able, and encouraged, to think outside the box, and I felt that my creativity was encouraged and nourished at SummitKids. The relationship between staff and the families is a special one, and the expectations to have high quality programming resulted in happy children and happy families. There were many structures in place that were helpful to ensure that nothing was forgotten. Teamwork was embraced and encouraged, and opportunities to meet with other leaders happened weekly.I would certainly recommend working at Summit Kids if you’re a creative person who is interested in continuous improvement. I haven’t had other jobs that I would want to return to, but I have no regrets that I returned to Summit Kids, and although my career path has gone in a new direction, I credit my development at Summit Kids for that.It’s a place that -

Pros

Great Professional Development Opportunities, Creativity Encouraged

Cons

Working Hard (but work/life balance is encouraged)

Not Worth It

I will give them this, most of the kids are actually alright and you can have fun with them if you have the right mindset. Most of the other staff are also very friendly and are good with the kids. My issue is that the position I applied for was "driver," I was hired as a "driver," but then told to get the child development paper "just in case you want to become a child group leader in the future." On my first day I was being introduced as a driver and a child group leader. I understand its a daycare/after school care facility but had I know the position was essentially childcare with some driving I would never have even applied. I was not the only one they did this to. There were others who were forced into one thing that was the polar opposite of what they applied for. Another issue was the hours. Six hour work day, part time, no benefits. Except the six hours was split up. Two hours in the morning, four in the afternoon. Essentially, a ten or eleven hour day but only being paid for six. There are much better places to go if you want to develop skills in childcare. Managers do the best with the resources they're given in terms of equipment and toys they can buy for you to use with the kids, but those resources are extremely limited. Lots of stuff gets broken or goes missing and simply doesn't get replaced. I could go on and on about this place but I'll just say this: this place will destroy your mental health. Look elsewhere.

Pros

A paycheque

Cons

Long days, lots of gossiping, untruthfulness from upper management

would absolutely never work there again

I lasted as long as I did in this job thanks to the lovely people I had on site with me, but if it had been up to management, I would have been out of there nearly right away. the parents always complained about the high turn over rate in the location, and honestly, it was easy to see why people did not want to stay. management is disorganized, most of the people have absolutely NO previous childcare experience, and have no idea what they're doing, we were often short staffed, got written up for trying to take time off for medical appointments/procedures (I once got written up for needing to go to the doctor due to my liver failing, and even though I gave them 3 weeks notice, they said I wasn't allowed the time off) and the pay was not worth it at all for the amount of work we had to do, and the lack of support we received. we would go weeks at a time without receiving proper materials, emergency kit supplies, and emergency snack supplies. would never work here again.

Possibly worst place to work

Summit cares only cares about making money, owner only has level one child care and is never around children. during covid I advise you to re think this place, they will take quantity or quality, money over life.

Pros

Cons

Lots I lost count

Lots of opportunities

Working for Summit Kids can be rewarding. Working with children is amazing. Working split shift isn't ideal but it is the business of Out of School Care. Working with parent expectations can be difficult and sometimes child behaviours (children that have aides in class but don't in their OOSC program) can be difficult to manage. Management puts on great professional development. There is room for advancement if you want it.

Summitt

So everyone will have a different opinion on work life with every job. It's truly what you make of it and the attitude you have going into the job.I my self have had an awesome experience with this company. I also came into my role with an eager and positive attitude.

Bad experience

Have very bad experience. While doing crafts with children they limit the use of paper after charging a lot to parents. Educator are asked to do all program planning, without knowing the interest of individual child interest I found educator need to force children to learn, it does not matter weather children is willing to learn or not. Disrespect for staff from program director Program owner are very mean

The supervisors of the company have no credibility I had to find my own place to rest such as underneath the stair because there was no staff room at

The senior supervisors and Human Resources manager of the company, Summit Kids, have no credibility. I was given a false promise of being able to transfer to another location, if I would continue working until the end of the school term, because I would then have seniority to be able to transfer to another campus; however, I discovered before the new school year, this promise was not true, because I was not re-hired. It took me over 30 minutes to get to work, which was very stressful for me, and then 45 minute to return home! What also angered me, was when I requested 2 days off, so that I would be able to go to a retreat, but then I was told by the supervisor of my campus that I was denied the time off, because I was needed too much as a driver. There was a four hour staff meeting that was required for all the Summit employees. Then, after looking at my pay cheque, I realized it was unpaid, and by being unpaid, it is against the employment standards regulations. Seventy employees who attended were also unpaid. So, multiply the wages of these unpaid employees by four hours. The employer saved a substantial amount of money by not paying us! Also, there was a revolving door of employees. During my 8 months of employment, 5 employees had quit. During a surprise audit by the government, one room that the children used as a reading room had to be closed, because the company did have the proper inspection. Another issue, was that I had to find my own place to rest during my one hour lunch break, such as resting underneath the stairs, because there was no staff room where we could -

Pros

Kids. Parents appreciated our hard work with tokens of appreciation.

Cons

Company did not pay employees for required meeting when it was our day off, No credibility with the senior supervisors. They say what they want to us, so that we do not quit.

One of the best childcare organizations I've worked with

Yes the hours are long and the pay isn't amazing but that is childcare. Summit Kids in my experience has provided some of the best pay within the industry and frequently supports their team members where they can. Management recognizes when people are doing amazing work and provides them with feedback on how they can improve and help within the company. There is frequent encouragement from team members to provide opportunities to meet up and learn about each other despite the wide spread of the company. There are frequent training opportunities and chances to see amazing speakers within the industry to help bolster knowledge and skills. Hardest part of the job is the long hours and low pay but that is childcare. Best part of the job is the kids, shortly followed by feeling as if you are part of a family and being able to interact openly with so many individuals in the industry at different levels.

Pros

Family feel, supportive management, great culture

Cons

Long hours and split shifts

Good place to work and get experience

Good place to work and get experience. Collaborating in child development is rewarding experience. Thought sometimes challenging, staff receives support.

Lasted only 2 months

I went in with high hopes. Summit requires you to complete hours of foolish programs. I never had a break, even though it was declared in my contract (illegal maybe). Worked 7 hours without a break. Could not even use the bathroom because I was "in ratio". No relief staff. No supplies for the children-took weeks to get glue sticks and pipe cleaners for crafts. The kids were out of control because they had nothing to occupy them. Fights and conflicts every day between kids because they were not engaged. No staff lasted more than 3 months.

Pros

nothing

Cons

illegal working hours

Stay away from this company!!!!

I'm not sure where to start... everything is wrong about this company! Don't be fooled by a nice office and multiple programs, or all the nice things they pretend to do. Owners are all about shady business, they don't care about staff or children. It's all about money for them!

Pros

nothing

Cons

horibble owners, shady business, low paying and long hours

Owners are fake and only cares about money

Where do I even start here. The owners are so out of touch with the industry they only started the con-pany years ago as a means to an end. They don't care about the kids as it's all for show and rules being broken all the time. The mentality of the companies owners are so toxic it bleeds into the culture of the rest of the organization where they don't tell each the head office anything to avoid conflict, even if it means dangers to children. The mentorship and guidance are a joke at best and the Most of thr management ensemble is only there to collect a pay cheque and put up/tolerate the owners trivial methods of engaging employees or lack of training. Probably one of the lowest paid in childcare and one of the most unethical when it comes to running a business. If you want to have a career. Avoid this place. if you want to find a part time job. Avoid this place. I cant go into all the crazy details of my horrible 7 months here but do pay attention and speak up because all of the other senior staff are too scared to say anything to the owners/management on how they really feel.

Pros

Nothing just the kids

Cons

Ownerships toxic relationships and senior staff talking about it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summit Kids. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement