Summit Camps

Summit Camps Employee Reviews

3.1Pay & benefits

Lots of promises

if you do get a pay check it won't be right and make sure to have your contract and a record of your hours handy or you with be bent over.Learned a lot and am grateful for the experience however that was clearly a one way street. sink or swim environment. was able to approach management with issues however usually met with "i hear you but so what" attitude.... mid level managers had a high turn over rate due to lack of support and mentorship which lead to immediate resentment from staff. was encouraged to put up with verbal abuse from team members because head office refused to hire the appropriate staff or let go of the abusive staff. extremely challenging emotionally and physically but a great learning experience if you can compartmentalize and suck it up for awhile.

Pros

good food, can be a fun attmosphere

Cons

zero support or transperancy. not organized at any level

Family feel with awesome opportunities.

I have travelled all over Western Canada with Summit. The camps are always located is beautiful locations. Working in camp can be tough with covid, but I think Summit really tries to support everyone. A fun experience and you meet great people.If you love remote places to explore Summit is the company to join. Firecamps are the best.

Pros

Travel, benefits, opportunities to advance, great clientele.

Cons

Some camps are older, covid restrictions.

Management is disorganized, uncaring, unprofessional and incompetent. Huge staff turnover. Sudden changes to schedule and work location.

They'll tell you a schedule then they will change it several times, probably to a different location than where you were first told. You're trapped at a sober camp for weeks at a time 24/7. Huge staff turnover because of low pay and stress due to constant incompetent management. They have a poor reputation amongst industry professionals. Management don't communicate to the employees or amongst themselves,Most of my coworkers arent happy and it leads to a bad work culture. Daily jokes about incompetent management which is full of nepotism. Constantly understaffed. All your food is highly processed although the cooks do the best they can with the food that is available.

Pros

Free food; friendly co-workers, the cooks do the absolute best they can with what they have to work with., I'm happy with my position but i'm super flexible & don't need a regular paycheck

Cons

Stay at camp for 24/7 but only get paid for 10/12 hours, rampant nepotism, totally sober camp for weeks at a time, can't leave camp for weeks at a time, large staff turnover, really bad upper management

Enjoyed working there

I helped serve dinner met alot of people province wide including firefighters from Mexico and over all was a good experience . management was easy going and helped tackle issues if they occured.helped place food orders and kept track of numbers of workers in the camp coming and going security was helpful as well.

Official response from Summit Camps

19 February 2021
Thank you for your review :) We encourage you to reapply if you are interested in further work with us.

Got to work in fast-pace, Stressful.

I learned how to become a housekeeper, how to keep everything well organized. A day at work every day was kind of stressful, but I've got everything done on time. The hardest part of the job was carrying heavy boxes, without no cart to push it on.

Productive and fun place to work.

Had a busy day cleaning ,all good. Miss working for camp summit. I enjoyed the time I got to work here. Everyone was great. I'd be willing to go and work for them again!

Pros

free lunches, great hours, Away from home

Cons

Away from home

experience the outdoor living.

I worked from 3 am in the morning to 2 pm . I learned a lot of kitchen work and the i teach new workers about house- keeping . I stayed in camp 4 wks in and 2 wks out. The hardest part is you have to be in good shape when it comes to taking grocery in and putting things in the right place for the cook. I love working in camps. I'm ready and willing to stay in camp, fly in/ fly out. I'm used to long period of work. The most enjoyable is walking, fishing on weekends. We had our own rec room. Play pool table or darts or watch sports.

Unorganized and unqualified Management at all levels

Lack of strong leadership from the top down, lack of organized structure and proper communication. Tools are mostly unsafe and damaged, I emphasize extreme lack in supervision and leadership which leads to lost of crew morale.

Pros

Excellent hours

Cons

Camp accommodations and leadership

New experience

I enjoyed working in the remote fire camp. It was a new experience for me. I had to learn and adjust to working with different types of people. Hard work.

Jobs at Summit Camps