Summerhill Market logo
Summerhill Market

Summerhill Market Employee Reviews

Boring and very repetitive ... was hard to go in after a few months

Not much creative room .. Relaxed vibe . Large scale cooking . nothing special . Hours were ok but not enough work for full days most of the time due to poor labor management.

Prepared Foods

The best staff at Summerhill all end up leaving for better paying/better-managed companies. I witnessed several department heads making minimum wage and being mistreated by the general manager. The turnover rate is very high because they do not appreciate their good staff when they have them. I was offered a $1 raise with a huge promotion, and told it would take several years before I would be making what my predecessar made. I've worked at 2 Summerhill Locations so trust me - DON'T DO IT!

Pros

Staff Discount, Full-Time Hours

Cons

Long Hours, Don't expect a raise, Bad management

dont work there run away

As cashier you have to do multiple job in the store this is meant to be a high-end grocery store, where stuff is expensive and you're supposed to give premium service for minimum wage and long hours 43.5 hrs a week and it pretty impossible to get a raise even though the owner are raking in the money they watch your every move on camera like they don't trust their employees. i so glad i left i know i can do better else where.

Pros

great staff

Cons

they expect a lot of work for minimum wage

Nice co-workers overall, not nice management.

This is meant to be a high-end grocery store, where stuff is expensive and you're supposed to give premium service and walk customers to their cars (even far away) with groceries, but you get paid as you would at any normal grocery store. As a cashier, honestly a lot of my time was spent organizing stuff on shelves and stocking fridges and making samples, as it was not incredibly busy when I worked there. Co-workers were nice overall, but the supervisor and owners were not nice, and are the main reason I quit. Supervisor often took own bad moods out on you, and owners thought they were quite holier than thou and only showed up occasionally to survey the place or get someone into trouble. It's a job where it takes a while to get home at night with counting out your tills and cleaning and getting rid of any expiring items, lots on your to-do list. Not a job with any real chance of growth, you're low on the pecking order and you'll probably stay there till you leave.

Pros

can get decent food for half off at the end of the day.

Cons

unfriendly owners and supervisors

It’s was good experience

Summerhill was a great experience and great staff and it’s was a great job To have it got me though the month For the time it helped me a lot And I worked with my friend

Great place to work Management was fantastic Very flexible shift Staff member were very friendly Great product Involved with customers Opened for holidays

Okay.

A great place to work. Really nice and friendly staff. Don't expect a raise, even if promised one. When negotiating your pay, get it in writing because they will screw you over and pay you less than what they promised. I've seen this happen to many people.

Long days with poor pay for Toronto standards

Would not recommend the job for a full-time working professional. The role is more suited to part-time working students looking for some spare cash on the weekend.

Meatcutter from 2011/12

Pros - Hours were abundant. - Kept busy and productive. - cleanliness, food and safety Cons - Uppermanagement, narsistic mentality and unprofessional at times. - Wage lacked competitiveness. - Job loss weariness. - Benefits and lack of progression.

grocery clerk

Family can be really nice . They can also be greedy , lying, backstabbing cowards. they have no idea of what it takes to run a department, and they don't appreciate THE staff

Jobs at Summerhill Market

See more jobs

Great work place

The owners are great people. There are way too many people in the wrong positions. The pay should also reflect the key players in the operation. Over worked and underpaid

Average and Comfortable

Working as a cashier went exactly as you would expect. Image, however, was extremely important and it was always crucial to place your best foot forward.

Pros

Friendly Co-workers

Cons

Long Hours

Great Experience

Great experience working alongside an amazing group of staff, helping and educating the public. Working in the soon to be biggest industry in the country.

idk

typical day involves keeping department tidy and well stocked, packaging pastry items, assisting customers, preparing daily samples hardest part of the job was...

Summerhill Market high-end grocery store

Summerhill Market is a fast pace high-end grocery store where I started working as a store clerk dealing with customers on daily basis. Summerhill is popular for their Summerhill own cuisine

Co-workers are great. Management not so much.

I love the people who I was so fortunate to meet at Summerhill. Management is kind of not there and when they are it's because something is wrong. Blame game life. You would have a manager come to you clueless and telling things that are out of your power. Then you see them standing around making conversation about non work. You think instead of yelling and pointing fingers they would offer to help lend a hand because department is lacking hands as usual, but hey being over worked is okay I guess? Feel bad for the people who actually work. Room for advancement? Nope. Knew a few people there who are there for 3 to 4 years and still at minimum wage. It's very easy job though. Just expect of lack of hands on any day. This place is nice if you want to settle and be comfortable at minimum.

Pros

Samples.

Cons

Short staff, management?, over work.

OK first job

It was fine but also boring at times, it was what you would expect out of a cashier job at a grocery store. The manager was pretty nice and same with the other employees.

nice

enjoy working there, it has good working environment. co worker were supportive. Supervisor was helpful. Good to work there. nice place to work on average

friendly work place

very welcoming and have a good quality standard they also have a good Vision and Mission that keeps this company alive over a decades in spite of location distance.

Efficient, average work, good co-workers, some flaws

The work is very fast paced, with you always keeping a smile on your face. I learned many different skills in each department. I learned: how to provide quality customer service, about fruits and vegetables, about everyday grocery products, a little of cashier knowledge, and how to deal with a variety of people. The management is organized and I can say with ease, my supervisor is one of my favorite co-workers. The hardest part of the job is making sure each customer leaves satisfied, due to the fact each person likes things done a certain way. The most enjoyable part of the job is I'm always around my co-workers, so I am always in a social setting. The only flaws are the benefits are lackluster, and we are tasked with providing exemplary customer service at the same wage as someone working at an establishment such as No Frills.

Co workers are great, management...not so much.

Co-workers were the best part of the job. Even my direct boss was great but the higher up management needs to respect their employees and the work they do for their company. You're also expected to work crazy long hours(yes, you get the overtime) but it never ends and if you do want to leave after the 8hr mark, you're made to feel like you need to make up for 'leaving early'. I was a manager. When minimum wage went up, I became a manager working for minimum wage. They didn't even attempt to rectify this even after I stated I would leave if I didn't get a raise. So I'm now no longer an employee and they're offering the raise I asked for in their new job posting. Really classy Summerhill.

Pros

good co-workers

Cons

long hours, bad management, not competetive wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summerhill Market. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3Job security/advancement