Summerhill Market

Summerhill Market Employee Reviews

Canada23 reviews
This is meant to be a high-end grocery store, where stuff is expensive and you're supposed to give premium service and walk customers to their cars (even far away) with groceries, but you get paid as you would at any normal grocery store. As a cashier, honestly a lot of my time was spent organizing stuff on shelves and stocking fridges and making samples, as it was not incredibly busy when I worked there. Co-workers were nice overall, but the supervisor and owners were not nice, and are the main reason I quit. Supervisor often took own bad moods out on you, and owners thought they were quite holier than thou and only showed up occasionally to survey the place or get someone into trouble. It's a job where it takes a while to get home at night with counting out your tills and cleaning and getting rid of any expiring items, lots on your to-do list. Not a job with any real chance of growth, you're low on the pecking order and you'll probably stay there till you leave.
Pros
can get decent food for half off at the end of the day.
Cons
unfriendly owners and supervisors
Want to get taken advantage of? Want to be treated like a second class citizen if you're not caucasian? Want rules to be applied to you like you're some trouble making high school student? Then this is the place for you! Summerhill will watch your every move on camera for the low low price of minimum wage. Management thinks they're extremely intelligent. In reality if you threw a banana in the middle of a room during a meeting, 0/50 people would know how to peel it.
Pros
Some people there are really cool.
Cons
Run by children.
Search for work elsewhere..
You will be taken advantage of if you are not caucasian

Eyes will be on you if you are not caucasian

Highly suggest you look at other work options..
Summerhill was a great experience and great staff and it’s was a great job
To have it got me though the month

For the time it helped me a lot

And I worked with my friend
A great place to work. Really nice and friendly staff. Don't expect a raise, even if promised one. When negotiating your pay, get it in writing because they will screw you over and pay you less than what they promised. I've seen this happen to many people.
Would not recommend the job for a full-time working professional. The role is more suited to part-time working students looking for some spare cash on the weekend.
Pros
- Hours were abundant.

- Kept busy and productive.

- cleanliness, food and safety

Cons

- Uppermanagement, narsistic mentality and unprofessional at times.

- Wage lacked competitiveness.

- Job loss weariness.

- Benefits and lack of progression.
Family can be really nice . They can also be greedy , lying, backstabbing cowards. they have no idea of what it takes to run a department, and they don't appreciate THE staff
The owners are great people. There are way too many people in the wrong positions. The pay should also reflect the key players in the operation. Over worked and underpaid
Working as a cashier went exactly as you would expect. Image, however, was extremely important and it was always crucial to place your best foot forward.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
typical day involves keeping department tidy and well stocked, packaging pastry items, assisting customers, preparing daily samples hardest part of the job was...
Summerhill Market is a fast pace high-end grocery store where I started working as a store clerk dealing with customers on daily basis. Summerhill is popular for their Summerhill own cuisine
I love the people who I was so fortunate to meet at Summerhill. Management is kind of not there and when they are it's because something is wrong. Blame game life. You would have a manager come to you clueless and telling things that are out of your power. Then you see them standing around making conversation about non work. You think instead of yelling and pointing fingers they would offer to help lend a hand because department is lacking hands as usual, but hey being over worked is okay I guess? Feel bad for the people who actually work. Room for advancement? Nope. Knew a few people there who are there for 3 to 4 years and still at minimum wage. It's very easy job though. Just expect of lack of hands on any day. This place is nice if you want to settle and be comfortable at minimum.
Pros
Samples.
Cons
Short staff, management?, over work.
very welcoming and have a good quality standard they also have a good Vision and Mission that keeps this company alive over a decades in spite of location distance.
The work is very fast paced, with you always keeping a smile on your face. I learned many different skills in each department. I learned: how to provide quality customer service, about fruits and vegetables, about everyday grocery products, a little of cashier knowledge, and how to deal with a variety of people. The management is organized and I can say with ease, my supervisor is one of my favorite co-workers. The hardest part of the job is making sure each customer leaves satisfied, due to the fact each person likes things done a certain way. The most enjoyable part of the job is I'm always around my co-workers, so I am always in a social setting. The only flaws are the benefits are lackluster, and we are tasked with providing exemplary customer service at the same wage as someone working at an establishment such as No Frills.
Co-workers were the best part of the job. Even my direct boss was great but the higher up management needs to respect their employees and the work they do for their company.

You're also expected to work crazy long hours(yes, you get the overtime) but it never ends and if you do want to leave after the 8hr mark, you're made to feel like you need to make up for 'leaving early'.

I was a manager. When minimum wage went up, I became a manager working for minimum wage. They didn't even attempt to rectify this even after I stated I would leave if I didn't get a raise. So I'm now no longer an employee and they're offering the raise I asked for in their new job posting. Really classy Summerhill.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
long hours, bad management, not competetive wages
has high expectations for their employees working should be about teamwork instead of arguing 247 I have worked in a lot of places but this one sucks!
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Too much labor, push you to work fast in small places, some co-workers don't listen to people who have experience
Coworkers are great! management needs improvement on verbal communication skills. There are a lot of skills you can obtain from this job such as being patient, communication skills and creativity.
Good hours, above average pay. Was one of my favourite places to work. That's why I was there almost a decade. People who I worked with were awesome, built a lot of friendships being there. Management was fair and always treated you fairly and addressed problems.
Pros
Nice discount on food items
Cons
Not the easiest place to get to by public transit
it was learning experience for me .nice coworker to work with. very good and helpful manager . there is not much chance to grow . nice location and very nice customer .
It's a good workplace of work. I have been working there since I came here in Canada. The manager and the co workers are nice and helpful. I never had an experienced about hard time in my workplace. required training related to my work are provided.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours.
Cons
good opportunity to learn.