Summerhill Market Employee Reviews

Great work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2019
The owners are great people. There are way too many people in the wrong positions. The pay should also reflect the key players in the operation. Over worked and underpaid
Average and Comfortable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2019
Working as a cashier went exactly as you would expect. Image, however, was extremely important and it was always crucial to place your best foot forward.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Summerhill Market high-end grocery store
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2018
Summerhill Market is a fast pace high-end grocery store where I started working as a store clerk dealing with customers on daily basis. Summerhill is popular for their Summerhill own cuisine
Co-workers are great. Management not so much.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2018
I love the people who I was so fortunate to meet at Summerhill. Management is kind of not there and when they are it's because something is wrong. Blame game life. You would have a manager come to you clueless and telling things that are out of your power. Then you see them standing around making conversation about non work. You think instead of yelling and pointing fingers they would offer to help lend a hand because department is lacking hands as usual, but hey being over worked is okay I guess? Feel bad for the people who actually work. Room for advancement? Nope. Knew a few people there who are there for 3 to 4 years and still at minimum wage. It's very easy job though. Just expect of lack of hands on any day. This place is nice if you want to settle and be comfortable at minimum.
Pros
Samples.
Cons
Short staff, management?, over work.
friendly work place
Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
very welcoming and have a good quality standard they also have a good Vision and Mission that keeps this company alive over a decades in spite of location distance.
Efficient, average work, good co-workers, some flaws
Bagger/Stock/Produce (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2018
The work is very fast paced, with you always keeping a smile on your face. I learned many different skills in each department. I learned: how to provide quality customer service, about fruits and vegetables, about everyday grocery products, a little of cashier knowledge, and how to deal with a variety of people. The management is organized and I can say with ease, my supervisor is one of my favorite co-workers. The hardest part of the job is making sure each customer leaves satisfied, due to the fact each person likes things done a certain way. The most enjoyable part of the job is I'm always around my co-workers, so I am always in a social setting. The only flaws are the benefits are lackluster, and we are tasked with providing exemplary customer service at the same wage as someone working at an establishment such as No Frills.
Co workers are great, management...not so much.
Assistant Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2018
Co-workers were the best part of the job. Even my direct boss was great but the higher up management needs to respect their employees and the work they do for their company.

You're also expected to work crazy long hours(yes, you get the overtime) but it never ends and if you do want to leave after the 8hr mark, you're made to feel like you need to make up for 'leaving early'.

I was a manager. When minimum wage went up, I became a manager working for minimum wage. They didn't even attempt to rectify this even after I stated I would leave if I didn't get a raise. So I'm now no longer an employee and they're offering the raise I asked for in their new job posting. Really classy Summerhill.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
long hours, bad management, not competetive wages
Hard core labor
Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  446 Summerhill ave23 June 2018
has high expectations for their employees working should be about teamwork instead of arguing 247 I have worked in a lot of places but this one sucks!
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Too much labor, push you to work fast in small places, some co-workers don't listen to people who have experience
okay.
Baker and Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  North York, ON22 October 2017
Coworkers are great! management needs improvement on verbal communication skills. There are a lot of skills you can obtain from this job such as being patient, communication skills and creativity.
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
Good hours, above average pay. Was one of my favourite places to work. That's why I was there almost a decade. People who I worked with were awesome, built a lot of friendships being there. Management was fair and always treated you fairly and addressed problems.
Pros
Nice discount on food items
Cons
Not the easiest place to get to by public transit
nice workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
it was learning experience for me .nice coworker to work with. very good and helpful manager . there is not much chance to grow . nice location and very nice customer .
Very good workplace for New comer.
Food Preparation Team Member (Former Employee) –  446 Summerhill Ave,Toronto, ON23 February 2017
It's a good workplace of work. I have been working there since I came here in Canada. The manager and the co workers are nice and helpful. I never had an experienced about hard time in my workplace. required training related to my work are provided.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours.
Cons
good opportunity to learn.
High Customer Service
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
It's important to the market to offer a high quality of customer service in every area.The company knows that very well that's why they give a very pleasant workplace environment, and co-workers help you to improve your skills as a team job.
Pros
Flexible hours, good work environment, supportive
Cons
Salary
Okay company.
Front End Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
Family-owned company, owners have little regard for conflict resolution with employees. Great staff at North location; drama-filled main location. Decent management.
Pros
coworkers, food
Cons
owners