Subway Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with hard working colleagues
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK18 February 2018
At Subway, there is so much to learn. I learned store management, cost management and more importantly making customers happy. The employees working under me were hardworking, helpful and had good work ethic.
I absolutely enjoyed the time here.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 February 2018
The time I worked at Subway was amazing. I really enjoyed interacting witht the customers and building the rapports with each individual. Would love to work here again,
Review of Subway
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 February 2018
A typical shift at subway sandwiches usually includes a lot of repetitive tasks, which is nice if you like a predictable work place where you always know what to expect. Prepping food, ensuring clean work spaces, and clean dining area, fully stocking shelves of drinks and chips in FIFO (first in first out.) I learned a lot of patience, working with every range of customer who expects impeccable service from a world known chain. Dealing with certain people is hard, but it's the sandwich artists job to ensure the ordering goes smoothly. Management differs between locations, I've worked at 4 in 3 different cities. One particular location was not ideal. Hiring within a specific community in which i was not a part of. It made the work place feel very lonely. Other locations employing staff who didn't seem to bother with sanitation or food safety protocol. The hardest part of the job was handling less than ideal customers who can never have enough mayo, or who need the FRESHEST bread, even though it's all fresh. Having a good team who you communicate with really DOES help. The most enjoyable part of the job for me, was walking into work every weekend and knowing that the "ham and swiss with extra swiss" guy would be in at 5pm for his weekend treat, or knowing that the lovely German man and his girlfriend would be in for their milk and breakfast sandwich after church on Sundays at 10am. It's nice seeing people smile, knowing the smile is because of the service you are providing.
Pros
easy job, you can learn it fast, great job to learn english and for first time job seekers, free lunch, lots of customers to talk to
Cons
long hours, repetative work, sometimes not ideal coworkers or bosses, sassy customers
pretty good
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2018
Its pretty good environment on a subway. But, sometimes people yell at me. Then, i don't like to work over there. I was like why i am working over there.But, otherwise environment is great.
Great work environment with co-workers and customers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 February 2018
Subway is a nice workplace where one can learn a lot of skills such as working with team members, leadership skills, interaction with customers, problem-solving techniques and much more.
This particular Subway is a horrible place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON15 February 2018
The manager treats women badly. Hires too many people and doesn't give shifts to employees that have been there longer. Pays people under the table and those who get a real pay suffer from lack of hours. The restaurant is dirty and nothing is cleaned properly. Had to leave because I kept finding fake nails in the food that was prepped by people not in proper uniform. No hairnets so the food had hair. Management puts all failures on employees and takes no responsibility for the store. No proper training.
Pros
Cons
bad hours, screamed at by management in front of customers.
J'ai aimé sa
Artiste du sandwich (Former Employee) –  Quebec14 February 2018
Les clients étaient quand même tous assé gentil!!!!
Pros
6 pouce gratuit
Cons
Les closes étaient lourd pour le morale
it is good
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2018
feels good to work at subway
learnt different communication skills and able to adjust myself in fast paced environment,and also learnt how to make sandwich in better way.
Fast paced
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 February 2018
Subway is a very fast paced work enivronment. There is always work to be done including food prep and making customers orders. Subway had a very high turn over rate but the employees I worked with were nice.
Its a good high school job
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Lumsden, SK13 February 2018
I worked at Subway for 3 years while in high school. It was a good paycheck to get when I didn't have many expenses. It paid for fuel, etc. I moved on to bigger and better things before attending post-secondary.
Good place to start; not so great long-term
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2018
It's a great place to learn multi-tasking and task prioritization as it can be a very fast-paced environment depending on where the store is located. You can build a rapport with certain customers, learn to deal with difficult customers in a professional manner, and how to make customers smile!

However, if your manager isn't planning on leaving their position anytime soon, then you're pretty much stuck at the cashier/sandwich artist level, which means you're not getting a raise anytime soon. But hey. at least you get a discount on the food!

Hardest part of the job is dealing with tough customers who seem to really be trying to get you to break your composure. If you work there long enough though, you'll definitely learn how to give customers the right answers.

The best part is getting to try the new sandwiches at a discount. The cookies are pretty good too!
Pros
Healthy food for cheap, Great way to earn customer service experience
Cons
Virtually no advancement, Requires a great deal of patience
Make sandwicb
SUPERVISOR/SANDWICH ARTIST/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 February 2018
I have no bad experience but I this was busy store and I was able to work under that pressure. I can take calls as I have experience working in call center
Great place to work staff was enjoyable and easy to get along with would work there again.
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bentley, AB12 February 2018
Culture at this place was great and employees were wonderful. Tons of character, management was great and very understanding. the hours were flexible and clean working environment. no benefits sadly but the best part of working there was the coworkers. A day of work at subway was prep food serve customers clean repeat good for people who like repetition. I learned how to fix things and that the hardest part of the job is the cleaning because you have to move things around and lift heavy boxes and buckets.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
stuck inside all day
Environnement de travail très autonome et travaillant
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 February 2018
J'Ai beaucoup appris la-bas en l'espace de peu de temps. J'ai vraiment développé l'autonomie la-bas puisqu'il y avait certaines périodes où nous étions seuls. Cela m'A aussi permet de développer d'autres compétences. Malgré le fait que ce soit un travail demandant, on pouvait tout de même se sentir heureux.
Was a good steady workplace.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Englehart, ON9 February 2018
I most enjoyed the busy hours of the day when 2 hours felt like 30 minutes. During my time there i had learnt about food safety and handling. cross contamination. One of the hardest parts of this job was dealing with some of the costumers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Mean Employees
great work environment
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NS9 February 2018
Subway in Liverpool is fabulous, clean, friendly staff, and the manager is amazing, she taught me everything to help her. but only when she needed it.
she still asks me to this day when i plan on coming back to work
Pros
clean and friendly staff
all around
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2018
If you work in a subway within a busy area, make sure there are more than one employee you're working with because working alone is very hard. But the best thing about working at subway is there is no limit when it comes to free food (At least for our branch).
Pros
free food
Cons
i work alone sometimes for 4 to 10 hours
made sanwiches and worked with customers
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS8 February 2018
the job was easy to do as instructed, had lots of experience with cash registers it made this job very simple to accomplish , management was not very supportive in some of the problems at work
Positive environment and market knowledge enhances
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2018
I can say a perfect meaning of a job is where you get satisfaction and productive climate and you get a chance to make connections with person to person.
Pros
Eat fresh and feel fresh. Indeed a strong bond between you and your customers.
Cons
Lack of allocated Duties and good management might cause problems
Fun
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2018
Greets and serves guests, prepares food, maintains food safety and sanitation standards, and handles or processes light paperwork. Exceptional customer service is a major component of this position.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.

58.5K