Study.com Employee Reviews

Good for independent writer
researcher/writer (Former Employee) –  telecommute5 February 2019
The company offers flexible work hours. They provide excellent links to excellent resources. Although generally cooperative with writers, sometimes instructions can be confusing.
Study.com is a great place to work!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CA18 January 2019
Study.com is a great place to work. Like any other company it is what you make it! The atmosphere is much like a start-up. The company is growing and lots of great things are happening.
Pros
Culture, people
Cons
Maternity leave policy is 5 days
Great place to pick up extra work...
Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  Home Based3 November 2018
I loved working for Study.com when I first started because as a contract worker there was so much to choose from and I was never waiting for something to pop up. I soon learned that is only the case when they earn a new contract and then slowly the availability of projects decreases until there is only a few. The management is good about replying for technicals issues or project questions, but take longer to respond about new project dates or projected new contracts, etc. Basically, this is not a reliable source of income by itself. It's great as long as you aren't relying heavily on it for income. I did notice that management will reach out to current contractors with new opportunities which is really nice! Everyone I worked with was very nice.
Pros
Unlimited flexibility with schedule.
Cons
Not always steady
Good for Freelance Writers
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CA3 September 2018
I have worked for two years with Study.com on a contract/freelance basis, and have been very happy with the company. The supervisors are very helpful and friendly, and I have worked with several editors who are very invested in helping the writers do their very best work.
Pros
interesting work, freedom in schedule
Cons
lack of consistency in freelance jobs
Study.com
LESSON PLAN WRITER (Current Employee) –  Online8 August 2018
I love working for them. I can work as much or as little as needed. I am able to write lessons in areas that I have experience and increase my experience by researching new topics to write about.
Would be great if there was work to be paid
writer (Former Employee) –  california16 May 2018
The pay is ok but there hasn't been any work for a while so i didn't think it was worth applying for so little work.This is not a part-time job, more likea fiverr side gig thing.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no work, pay is ok
Flexible schedule
Writer- Contract (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GA14 May 2018
I enjoyed working with Study.com and saddedned that my contract ended. Working with them was enjoyable and engaging. I was able to have control over the topics I wanted to write about and the editors were great to work with.
Great for Freelancers
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  Remote19 April 2018
I've been with Study.com for more than two years, and I enjoy the flexibility and consistent work. There is consistent work available, and the review process and payment is efficient.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Limited advancement and no pay increase.
Don't expect much
Contract Writer and Editor (Former Employee) –  Remote12 April 2018
It is a contract job, so the amount of work is never predictable. Pay is not great, unless there is enough work, and you can do enough to make it worth your time.
Pros
Can work whenever it fits your schedule
Cons
Not enough work, and the work is repetitive
Productive and fun
Freelance Video Caption Editor (Former Employee) –  Pune, Maharashtra19 January 2018
Productive and fun experience working for study.com. They have flexible working hours, no deadlines, total freedom. Work itself is educational for the employee.
Interesting work, work allows for more freedom
Mathematics Instructional Content Writer (Current Employee) –  N/A1 January 2018
A typical day at work involves me essentially writing and callaborating on math and general academic content. Enjoyable as it allows freedom to pursue personal interests.
Great for a quick side-buck
Contract Writer (Current Employee) –  Work from home5 December 2017
Initially, I was hired as a contract writer for text lessons, which was very enjoyable and an easy way to earn a quick $40. When that project expired, a new project was introduced with significantly lower compensation. Although the work was lighter, $4 per question answered seems a bit low.

Still, the work is not difficult and the team is very easy to work with. They are quick to answer questions I might have.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work is straight forward
Cons
Poor compensation for the newest project
Great Place to work dependent on goals
Customer Success Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CA28 November 2017
Company culture is great. Suffering currently as they try to figure out upper management and business lines. The people are great!! your manager or director might not be.
Great part time work
Freelance Writing Contractor (Former Employee) –  Remote12 September 2017
If you are looking for something on the side or part time, this is perfect. I wrote and transcribed for Study.com while on maternity leave, and it was exactly what I needed.
Pros
Work as much or as little as you want, they offer you different and better positions based on merit
Cons
Limited availability on work load, not typically enough to live on
Great Supplemental Income
Lesson Writer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere8 September 2017
I work as a lesson plan writer. I love working here in my free time! The work is not too difficult, the computer program is simple to use and it's a great source of additional income!
Study.com is awesome!
Software Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CA30 August 2017
A typical work day is I come around 8 or 8:30 (but that is just me, people come in between 7AM and 10AM) and look at our sprint backlog or any tasks I had started the day before. I am a software engineer in test so I may also look at bugs people have filed, file some myself, and/or look at the nightly test results. I am part of a feature team that has 2 week sprints and does all the typical scrum ceremonies. I work in a cross functional team that includes product managers, designers, developers, and data analysts. We also have innovation time, where you can work on projects that interest you outside of the normal sprint work. The hardest part of my job is finding the balance between testing and agility that every one is comfortable with.

But by far the most enjoyable part of my job is the people! I have made so many awesome friends at study.com, and everyone is friendly and approachable!!
Pros
awesome people, free food, happy hours every week, free caltrain pass, free gym membership, very welcoming to families, all health care paid for (you pay half for dependents), very into scrum, the right way.
Cons
finding the balance between testing and agility
Great for freelancers to choose work load
Content Writer (Current Employee) –  Remote30 July 2017
Study.com is a great place to work as a freelancer. I can work as much or as little as I want on a daily or weekly basis. Writing a lesson requires some research or personal knowledge about a subject.
Pros
Pay per blog/lesson/project
Cons
Availability of projects
Content Writer/Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CA3 May 2017
I've had a pretty great experience working for Study.com. It's made me a better writer and editor and I highly recommend a job like this for anyone in the arts, particularly writing (which is the case with me).

Unfortunately, there's not much room for advancement for the contract positions. I was moved up from content writer to content editor after working with Study.com for only a year and I've received periodic raises, but those eventually dried up.

That all said, I'd definitely recommend Study.com to anyone with writing and editing skills who needs some good supplemental income.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not much room for advancement
You could make more as a piece worker in a shoe factor
Assessment Item Writer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH20 January 2017
Study retains a well compensated internal staff in California and farms out the balance of the work to poorly compensated contractors. They want to hire highly educated and experienced professionals and pay nothing for their time and efforts. They hired me to write assessment items and once I completed the on-boarding materials was informed there were no projects available other than quiz optimization. Most of the quizzes are so poorly written, you are optimizing nothing and rewriting the entire quiz. When you send it on for review, the internal reviewers ask for more additional work for a few dollars per quiz. If you are looking for good paying side job, don't waste your time with this company.
Pros
Remote work on your own schedule. No minimum amount of work required. Pay seems to come as promised.
Cons
The compensation for contractors is horrible, In-house staff review and approve your work on their own schedule, the training documents are poorly organized and not well written
Flexible and exciting work environment
Assessment Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Remote30 December 2016
Flexible schedule reviewing library of quizzes and assessments. Most enjoyable - I can work as much as I want. I have learned about publishing companies and item writing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Study.com. Our community is ready to answer.