Studiosity

Studiosity Employee Reviews

Canada9 reviews
The company demands a very high standard from their workers. You go through several hours of unpaid training and you are not exactly paid by the hour on the job. For writing feedback specialists, it depends on the number of documents you can work on. Each document is priced depending on the length. The prices could use some increasing as they are not the best. But overall, if this is not your main job, its not so bad.
Pros
Work from home, set your own hours, learn a lot.
Cons
Bad pay
17 September 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Studiosity is committed to providing the best possible learning experiences for all of our students, which is why we think the initial training and induction process is so important. We want you to feel prepared for work, which is why we provide screenshots, clear instructions, and links to our interactive practice platform environments so that you can familiarise yourself with the interface and how it is used.

The times (and pay rates) allocated for providing feedback on student documents are based on data that is continuously monitored and revised. Generally, most Specialists complete their feedback within the paid timeframes and those who do not are offered mentoring support until they reach a point where they can comfortably work within paid timeframes. We understand that it may take a little longer while you're getting used to the system, which is why you are allocated a Mentor for one-to-one coaching during this time.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. Good luck in your future endeavours!
The company advertises $15/hour but you realistically will make a lot less. When I first started, I made $3.75 for an hour of work. While you may get faster over time, do not expect to make $15 an hour. You may average around $10 an hour.
The company expects a lot from you, but does not compensate their contractors fairly at all, given the amount of work you are expected to put in. Very poor business practice, in my opinion.

Also, the feedback comments you receive from "mentors" is subpar and sometimes, very unnecessary.

Management also hounds you about "demand", but there are many times where there is no work at all, even during "busy periods". Expect no work at all during certain weeks.

The only pros are that you can work at any time (when there is work) and the submissions from students can be interesting.
15 September 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with this feedback which is both valued and acknowledged.

As you'll know we allocate a given number of minutes per document you provide feedback on, based on the word count of the document. We add up those minutes and pay at the hourly rate. Many Specialists tell us it takes them longer than the allotted time when they first start with the service, but quickly get into a rhythm and are able to complete submissions more quickly after a while. As this is not a proofreading service, but a feedback service, the key is giving appropriate feedback within the allocated minutes to allow the student to focus on the major areas of improvement.

As for the demand, the Studiosity partners with education institutions across Asia-Pacific and the United Kingdom. The work is seasonal the work is ‘seasonal’ based on Academic Calendars and student demand levels. We aim to keep all our specialists informed about the demand across the year.

Specialist experience is incredibly important to us and we are always looking for input to further improve. Thanks for helping out students in their moment of need!
A typical day starts with logging into the website and joining the work cue. I have learned that management is very positive and very reponsive, providing positive-toned responses to e-mails within a day or two. The workplace culture occurs online and is generally positive. The hardest part of the job is the small payment received for the large volume of work. Often, work is not available and this makes the income opportunity unpredictable.

It is a nice job part-time job to have, but it is not a career upon which you can build a life. The work is long but fun, and it is nice to earn some money on your time off from other work. The work is enjoyable when it is available but the money needs to improve for the work being done.

That being said, the company makes it clear the compensation structure at time of hiring, so every person knows to what they are agreeing. I think most people, like me, also wish that the compensation could improve.

I would recommend working for this company because I have been treated well and I enjoy working for them.
Pros
Flex time work
Cons
Minimum pay
15 September 2020
Thanks so much for your feedback. Your comments are much appreciated.

You are absolutely right, this is a role for someone who is looking to help students in their moment of need and earn extra income. It is not suitable as a full time role due to the highs and lows in student demand across the year.

We do try to keep Specialists informed of demand and we are constantly working on ways to improve the process.

Thanks for helping students improve their life chances!
This is a remote contract, so it can be done anywhere there is an internet connection. I am not technically an employee, so I do not receive any benefits or a standard salary. The pay is piece rate and depends on how much I do. How much work I do depends on people submitting to the service and how quickly I can take the work before someone else does. Some times it is very slow and the pay is very low.

The management is great. It's remote, so we don't have anyone micromanaging, but there's also the possibility that there's no communication. However, this isn't the case at Studiosity. The team of managers responsible for the contractors are great-helpful, communicative, encouraging, and understanding.

A decent way to make a bit of extra money, but not dependable enough for fulltime salary or a way to pay the bills, unless you're really dedicated to spending many many hours picking up work, when there is work.

PROS

- work from home (or a cafe, or a library)

- meaningful assistance to students

- social atmosphere with other remote contractors

- payment is fair

CONS

- unpredictable work load

- piece work, which means the unpredictable work load leads to lower pay

- intellectual work, which can lead to burn out fairly quickly if you don't know how to pace yourself, and can make the pay seem lower because it's hard to stay engaged for fulltime hours
This job has a friendly support team and flexible work arrangement. You can choose when you work and for what amount of time for the most part (during busy times of the year, you're generally expected to work more, but you are compensated with bonuses if you complete enough work, and if you're planning to be on holidays or have other pressing commitments, such as school, they are willing to let you work much less). As a writing specialist, you never have to clock in or out, as with other jobs, so you can choose to do an assignment, take a coffee break, then do another one later, if you choose.

A downside is that you are paid by the assignment you take on, and these tend to be more time consuming than one might anticipate. However, if you'd like to make some extra cash on the side (or you have a lot of free or flexible time in the rest of your life) the amount can add up over time, leading to a good part-time salary (could be full time during certain peak times).
Students from all walks of life and different skills in writing will submit to the service for feedback. Some students, as can be expected, will need more help than others. When work is available, it is easy to log in and work on submissions for as long as you are willing. During the busiest periods, there is technically enough to do 40 hours a week, but looking at essays during this 40 hours is particularly exhausting, so I wouldn't recommend that.

The hourly wage is a bit undesirable. Most tutoring services start at $20/hour, yet Studiosity only offers $15/hour. During very busy periods, they offer incentives and bonuses which can make this position somewhat lucrative. They also don't offer wage increases for tutors who have been with the service for awhile and whose work is rated generally highly by students. There are also training documents that contractors must review on their own (unpaid) time, and sometimes we are limited as to what we can do with students.

While they say they are open to suggestions, I had an idea sent to academic services that went completely ignored. A senior tutor also confronted me once stating that something I was doing was against their guidelines. When I reviewed the guidelines, I found the tutor's statement to be inaccurate. When mentioning this to the tutor, I was (surprise) not met with a followup response. So this company ignores suggestions from their most dedicated workers, and hides when their unjust criticism is challenged.
I enojyed my time at Studiosity as a writing feedback specialist. You can work when you want (for the most part) and the work you do is helping students.
Pros
Work when you want, work is sometimes interesting, good management and tech improvements often
Cons
Hourly rates could be slightly better
This is an online platform where students from all over the world can submit their essays, reports, and CV's to get feedback from talented professionals from all over the world. The employers are very responsive and have worked to create a simple yet detailed way for us to provide feedback to clients.
It's an online platform where you schedule time slots before hand and it uses a chatting platform to help answer student's questions. Effectively managed. The hardest part of the job would be scheduling time slots especially during holidays. The fun part of the job is that it is online and you can work from anywhere
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Studiosity?