Studiosity

Studiosity Employee Reviews

2.6Pay & benefits

Great system w/ lots of resources, but terrible pay

What I like about this company is that you can work from home, and you can work pretty much whenever you want as well. The online system is also pretty easy to navigate and makes some tasks easier (such as the Comment Helpers when annotating student work). They also have plenty of helpful resources which is great, such as the Learning Hub and the online chats.My biggest gripe with this company, however, is that the pay is insanely low for what you're expected to do. Yes, Studiosity is mostly transparent about their method of pay, but I still find it upsetting that pay isn't by the hour (it's by billable minutes and depends on the length of the student work) and that most of the time, it's for much less than minimum wage. I feel like their time expectations for how long it should take you to not only thoroughly read a submission, but also provide meaningful feedback, to be unfairly high. While I do finish submissions within the max timeframe, I'm finding it almost impossible to do them within their minimum predicted timeframe.I just think that if they expect you to have a degree and be well-versed in subjects such as writing, then the pay should match those qualifications. I'd love to not have to rely on another job to make a living wage. Overall, this is a good job to have if you have spare time, but I wouldn't recommend it as your main.

Pros

Can work whenever and wherever you want

Cons

Very low pay, sometimes work isn't available during slow periods

A hit and miss company

First of all, most of Studiosity's strong points can be attributed to its very intuitive and user friendly online platform. I give massive credit to the IT department and the programmers who maintained and developed this because it really is a great platform to use that makes life so much easier for tutors. The work culture is also very supportive in terms of employee rapport. They have chatrooms for you to mingle with other tutors and discuss the work or just about anything. The work is also flexible that you can have your own schedule.Aside from that, I do not have much else to compliment this company. Their HR and quality assurance departments are really hit and miss. HR do not reply to emails and it is extremely difficult to get them to reply to you about anything. Even when they do reply, it's always corporate platitudes and, often, unhelpful information.Training materials are also inconsistent and, at times, outdated, and contradictory. Their "training" consists of reading a bunch of PDFs and then spending a few weeks being attached to a "mentor". The issue is that, because their training materials and the assignment examples they gave contain contradictory guidelines, "mentors" often perpetuated these inconsistencies in their feedback by linking you back to these documents. Then, if you have more questions and concerns, they deduct your performance scores because you "did not improve" or "failed to follow guidelines". You can go the majority of your training following the outdated guidelines until realising that they did not provide you with any meaningful feedback -

Pros

Intuitive online platforms. Great work culture

Cons

Pay. Management. Treatment of tutors.

OK for a side gig

I enjoyed working for Studiosity for about a year and then the manager changed. Things weren't as good after that but I stuck around for a total of three years. Where previously there had been individual feedback and a mentor assigned to work with tutors, after the management change there was suddenly only generic feedback and the mentor vanished. When I asked if the mentor was still available, I got no reply. I took a break from the work but when I tried to reactivate my account this year, I was told my work quality wasn't good enough. This was a surprise as I have worked successfully as a tutor for many years, had received no negative feedback (just the opposite, in fact) and my student feedback was 5/5. The work is fine for a side gig but the company has a habit of understaffing and then expecting tutors to work well over more a full-time week during busy periods. When tutors complain about the workload, the company over hires and there's not enough work to go around.

Pros

Flexible hours, if work is available

Cons

Alternates between too much work and not enough

Outrageous

Seriously!?It's 2020. Have you seen the cost of rental housing?!The price of groceries? Utilities?This company expects well educated people to eagerly work for them for $15 an hour!!!???It's outrageous. Believe in yourself! Don't settle! If you're smart enough to teach or tutor then you're smart enough to get paid a decent wage!Best of luck job seekers. If worse come to worse start your own tutoring company but DON'T settle for $15 an hour!!!! Ever! It's utterly disrespectful!!!!Shame on this sham of a company.

30 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.We are sorry to hear the pay hasn't met your expectations. We do provide considerably better rates than other competitors in the market by allocating payment on word count rather than number of pages. Also, we do try to be as transparent about this in the recruitment process as possible as we don't have a traditional model. There is a lot of flexibility and convenience with using our platforms which is why hourly rates may differ from other models. A lot of our specialists find this model very profitable for them but this may not be suited for your needs. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. We wish you good luck in your future endeavours!

Poor compensation. I would not recommend this job.

The company advertises $15/hour but you realistically will make a lot less. When I first started, I made $3.75 for an hour of work. While you may get faster over time, do not expect to make $15 an hour. You may average around $10 an hour. The company expects a lot from you, but does not compensate their contractors fairly at all, given the amount of work you are expected to put in. Very poor business practice, in my opinion. Also, the feedback comments you receive from "mentors" is subpar and sometimes, very unnecessary. Management also hounds you about "demand", but there are many times where there is no work at all, even during "busy periods". Expect no work at all during certain weeks. The only pros are that you can work at any time (when there is work) and the submissions from students can be interesting.

15 September 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with this feedback which is both valued and acknowledged.As you'll know we allocate a given number of minutes per document you provide feedback on, based on the word count of the document. We add up those minutes and pay at the hourly rate. Many Specialists tell us it takes them longer than the allotted time when they first start with the service, but quickly get into a rhythm and are able to complete submissions more quickly after a while. As this is not a proofreading service, but a feedback service, the key is giving appropriate feedback within the allocated minutes to allow the student to focus on the major areas of improvement.As for the demand, the Studiosity partners with education institutions across Asia-Pacific and the United Kingdom. The work is seasonal the work is ‘seasonal’ based on Academic Calendars and student demand levels. We aim to keep all our specialists informed about the demand across the year. Specialist experience is incredibly important to us and we are always looking for input to further improve. Thanks for helping out students in their moment of need!

Good for a side job

The company demands a very high standard from their workers. You go through several hours of unpaid training and you are not exactly paid by the hour on the job. For writing feedback specialists, it depends on the number of documents you can work on. Each document is priced depending on the length. The prices could use some increasing as they are not the best. But overall, if this is not your main job, its not so bad.

Pros

Work from home, set your own hours, learn a lot.

Cons

Bad pay

17 September 2020
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Studiosity is committed to providing the best possible learning experiences for all of our students, which is why we think the initial training and induction process is so important. We want you to feel prepared for work, which is why we provide screenshots, clear instructions, and links to our interactive practice platform environments so that you can familiarise yourself with the interface and how it is used.The times (and pay rates) allocated for providing feedback on student documents are based on data that is continuously monitored and revised. Generally, most Specialists complete their feedback within the paid timeframes and those who do not are offered mentoring support until they reach a point where they can comfortably work within paid timeframes. We understand that it may take a little longer while you're getting used to the system, which is why you are allocated a Mentor for one-to-one coaching during this time. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. Good luck in your future endeavours!

Meaningful work with great management, co-contractors, and competition

This is a remote contract, so it can be done anywhere there is an internet connection. I am not technically an employee, so I do not receive any benefits or a standard salary. The pay is piece rate and depends on how much I do. How much work I do depends on people submitting to the service and how quickly I can take the work before someone else does. Some times it is very slow and the pay is very low. The management is great. It's remote, so we don't have anyone micromanaging, but there's also the possibility that there's no communication. However, this isn't the case at Studiosity. The team of managers responsible for the contractors are great-helpful, communicative, encouraging, and understanding. A decent way to make a bit of extra money, but not dependable enough for fulltime salary or a way to pay the bills, unless you're really dedicated to spending many many hours picking up work, when there is work. PROS - work from home (or a cafe, or a library) - meaningful assistance to students - social atmosphere with other remote contractors - payment is fair CONS - unpredictable work load - piece work, which means the unpredictable work load leads to lower pay - intellectual work, which can lead to burn out fairly quickly if you don't know how to pace yourself, and can make the pay seem lower because it's hard to stay engaged for fulltime hours

Flexible Earning Oppourtunity

This job has a friendly support team and flexible work arrangement. You can choose when you work and for what amount of time for the most part (during busy times of the year, you're generally expected to work more, but you are compensated with bonuses if you complete enough work, and if you're planning to be on holidays or have other pressing commitments, such as school, they are willing to let you work much less). As a writing specialist, you never have to clock in or out, as with other jobs, so you can choose to do an assignment, take a coffee break, then do another one later, if you choose. A downside is that you are paid by the assignment you take on, and these tend to be more time consuming than one might anticipate. However, if you'd like to make some extra cash on the side (or you have a lot of free or flexible time in the rest of your life) the amount can add up over time, leading to a good part-time salary (could be full time during certain peak times).

A place to help students improve their academic writing.

Students from all walks of life and different skills in writing will submit to the service for feedback. Some students, as can be expected, will need more help than others. When work is available, it is easy to log in and work on submissions for as long as you are willing. During the busiest periods, there is technically enough to do 40 hours a week, but looking at essays during this 40 hours is particularly exhausting, so I wouldn't recommend that. The hourly wage is a bit undesirable. Most tutoring services start at $20/hour, yet Studiosity only offers $15/hour. During very busy periods, they offer incentives and bonuses which can make this position somewhat lucrative. They also don't offer wage increases for tutors who have been with the service for awhile and whose work is rated generally highly by students. There are also training documents that contractors must review on their own (unpaid) time, and sometimes we are limited as to what we can do with students. While they say they are open to suggestions, I had an idea sent to academic services that went completely ignored. A senior tutor also confronted me once stating that something I was doing was against their guidelines. When I reviewed the guidelines, I found the tutor's statement to be inaccurate. When mentioning this to the tutor, I was (surprise) not met with a followup response. So this company ignores suggestions from their most dedicated workers, and hides when their unjust criticism is challenged.

Good job

I enojyed my time at Studiosity as a writing feedback specialist. You can work when you want (for the most part) and the work you do is helping students.

Pros

Work when you want, work is sometimes interesting, good management and tech improvements often

Cons

Hourly rates could be slightly better

Worldly Website for Feedback.

This is an online platform where students from all over the world can submit their essays, reports, and CV's to get feedback from talented professionals from all over the world. The employers are very responsive and have worked to create a simple yet detailed way for us to provide feedback to clients.

Productive workplace with very friendly mentors

It's an online platform where you schedule time slots before hand and it uses a chatting platform to help answer student's questions. Effectively managed. The hardest part of the job would be scheduling time slots especially during holidays. The fun part of the job is that it is online and you can work from anywhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Studiosity. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5Job security/advancement

Compare Studiosity with

Studiosity Reviews by Location

• Studiosity
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?