Studiosity

Studiosity Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews

hourpaytimeworkfeedbackflexiblestudiositygood

Great staff; flaws otherwise

The team of writers at Studiosity is a great part of it; despite being online, they do a good job at facilitating a close community through the group chat! However, sometimes the upper staff/those not reviewing the papers can be a bit out of touch and expect an excessive amount of work for the time and pay provided.

Pros

Work whenever you want; good learning opportunity

Cons

Low pay for a lot of expected effort

Nearly no work available during so-called high demand period. A complete waste of time.

Their poor hiring practices have led to nearly no work during their high demand period. There are 2000+ specialists for Writing Feedback and the actual demand absolutely does not justify the need for this many people to be hired on. I have waited in the queue for 2-4 hours just to get a $4.13 submission during a “high demand” period. This is unacceptable and a complete waste of time. They have disregarded the many complaints and concerns of their specialists and still continued to mass hire when specialists were already concerned about the lack of work. Very disappointing and very poor practice from this company.

Pros

Variety in submissions

Cons

No work actually available, low pay

Insights into Studiosity

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Meh

Good job for making spare change, bad for every other possible reason you could imagine. You get paid pocket change for doing the most. The only way to be satisfied here is to do the bare minimum— that’s all they’re paying you for.

High wait times, low pay

I did first enjoy working at Studiosity because of the flexibility. However, a major downfall of the format in my opinion is the unfair pay. Each submission has a set worth depending on its length and estimated correction time. For the level of detail and analysis expected on behalf of the writing specialists, the time taken to correct these submissions is doubled if not tripled. Yet, you are not paid for that extra time. You must wait in a queue (often over an hour) to receive work as the company has overhired employees.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

unfair pay, long waits in queue, high expectations

For spare time only

Work is rewarding as you give help to students, however, there is little to no work available the majority of the year. It seems they have a difficult time estimating business volumes and so the 'busy periods' become their mass hiring periods and you are left sitting in a queue for hours on end waiting for work. Pay is comparatively low for the knowledge and expertise required, but again, the work is rewarding in its own way - just don't expect this to be a full-time job or even a side hustle. It's purely a hobby that earns you peanuts every few weeks.

A good working experience with no dull moment

I have enjoyed every single day of working with Studiosity. There is never a dull moment. This is largely due to the diverse nature of our students and their writing topics. I am actually learning a lot working at Studiosity as an Academic Writing Specialist. And the fact that you determine your own schedule makes it very convenient. There are endless training opportunities and weekly incentives for performance. It has been a wonderful experience.

Review Summary

A typical day is logging into the system and taking a spot in the work cue. You learn about new topics but the work is not steady and pays very little. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing help to students.

I do not recommend this company. There is almost no work available.

I was hired believing that there would be a lot of work as we were going into a busy period (April-May, August-October), but there has almost been no work available at all. There is no “busy” period. You are put in a queue that can last for hours and then receive a $5-6 submission. Absolutely ridiculous. They have over hired the amount of tutors they need, and now everyone is left hanging.

Pros

Submissions are interesting.

Cons

Long wait times during “busy” period. Almost no work available.

Good if you have spare time

Good if you have some spare time. You can work whenever you want, wherever you want. It can get pretty exhausting, but rewarding to know that you are helping students around the world.

4 August 2022
Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to see you have benefitted from the flexibility of the role and that you have found working with students rewarding. :)

Flexible Hours, great experience

I believe that working in Studiosity is a great opportunity for me because flexible hours is a very big advantage for me.Management is very good, and the income you get depends on how much you work.They can consider raising the payment a little bit though.

23 May 2022
Thank you for your feedback :) We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the flexibility of the role!

okay with it

their place was nice and organized. i had a great experience working there and would do it again. everyone is very nice and friendly and i'm able to get the work done.

29 April 2022
Thank you for your feedback! It is lovely to hear you found working with us such a great experience. :)

Good vibes but really have to work to get paid.

If you can do it, that's amazing, and you're a hard worker. If so, you should probably go somewhere and get what you are worth. Difficult to make ends meet with a regular job, even moreso here.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Bad pay for time spent

11 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We consistently find that when Specialists use the tools and training provided, they consistently return high-quality feedback within the specified time frames. We are also constantly refining and developing our tools further to make the provision of such feedback even easier, in addition to regularly reviewing our pay rates to ensure they are fair. :)

Flexible with low pay.

Required quite a bit of reading and training, but despite this, I believe shift work would pay better if you are looking into deciding between the two.

Pros

flexible

Cons

low pay, inconsistent nature of work

19 April 2022
Thank you for your feedback. :) Student usage of the Writing Feedback service does typically follow the trends of an academic calendar, with the busy and quiet periods that entails. However, our Specialists receive regular service usage updates throughout the year, and are always advised of any upcoming quiet periods well in advance.

A moderate side job

The assignments are impossible to complete in the provided time frame given the requirement of the organisation, student's expectations, and the original purpose of the task. So you can end up earning a quarter of minimum wage by working almost one hour. It basically depends on the type and quality of assignment (more faulty more feedback more time). Easy to burn out. But somehow the whole system is quite impressive and you feel like working if you are into education-based jobs. Only thing is the payment is not justified at all. I have not entered to the time of year when folks fight in queue for submissions. So can't tell much about it. Otherwise it's a decent job with super flexible working hours.

19 April 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. :) It is great to see you have enjoyed the flexible nature of the role! We have always found that when our Specialists are utilising the tools and training provided correctly they are able to consistently return high-quality feedback on submissions within the specified time frames. Additionally, we are constantly reviewing and refining our tools to make the provision of such feedback even easier.

Exploitative Labour and Unrealitic Expectations

The pay is minimum wage, but only if you can actually complete the papers in the allotted time frame, so most people will make less than minimum wage. They get away with this by calling everyone a "contractor," but then they micromanage your submissions (which should not happen if the workers are truly contractors).So, you might think, "well, I can just submit papers faster so that I make minimum wage." However, their reviewers will complain about your work if you do not give, say, 30 minutes of work to a paper that is allotted 15 minutes of pay. Now, the only thing I found is that there was enough miscommunication between teams that you really didn't have to take any of the advice that the reviewers would give you, but this does create an unnecessary amount of stress on the workers. This would be alleviated by increasing the pay per page (or, the expected time to complete each page). The excuse from Studiosity that other services pay even worse isn't a justification; it just serves to show precisely how predatory these companies can be.The entire business model basically functions on high turnover and extracting free labour from struggling undergrads. If you do end up working for this service, don't be pressured into spending 30 minutes or an hour on a 15 minute paper. If they allot the work as 15 minutes, then just do what you can in 15 minutes. The reviewers will complain no matter what you do.

19 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we have a dedicated QA Team who regularly review the submissions each Specialist completes, the aim of doing so is always to provide our Specialists with clear, actionable feedback to help them improve their work and meet our overall quality standards. This process falls under the umbrella of ‘performance improvement’ rather than ‘micromanagement’, which we do not believe in. We regularly review our pay rates to ensure they are fair, in addition to reviewing the time allocated to each submission type. We have also found that when Specialists are making appropriate use of the tools and training we provide, they are able to consistently return submissions within the specified time frames and to the expected standard. Additionally, we are constantly reviewing and refining our tools to ensure that the provision of feedback is as straightforward and easy as possible. For clarity, as there appears to be some level of misunderstanding based on your feedback: - The Studiosity team has never encouraged any Specialist to spend more than the paid time working on a submission. - We do not seek undergraduates; all of our Specialists hold (at minimum) a completed bachelor’s degree. We also encourage any Specialists working with us to make contact with the QA Team if they are unsure of how the system works, or how they can work efficiently within it. Our QA Team is here to support all Specialists.

I quit because of the wait times to get a document to deliver

It's a great premise: proofread papers and get paid. However, they have so many people online waiting to get a paper that the wait time was sometimes two hours and the paper you get will only pay $5.18. It's not worth the waiting.

Pros

good screening process and platform

Cons

wait time is way too long to be worth it

6 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. :) Student usage of our service follows the trends of an academic calendar, with both busy and quiet periods. In the quiet periods there can be some wait times, but we make sure to advise our Specialists of usage trends well in advance so they are prepared.

Great work-from-home, but company culture is demanding

I worked in a number of positions for different services at Studiosity as a remote contractor. Aside from upper management, I've seen it all. For this, I'll speak mostly as a Subject Specialist (one of the contractors who does the work with students.)Typical day: Log in and wait for work. This can take hours in slow months, with some days nothing at all, but when the company gets too many contractors, it can still take a long time during school season. By the time I left, the Writing Feedback service had way too many specialists and there was not enough work to go around anymore for two busy seasons. It was incredibly frustrating to not have any work available at all and be waiting with almost 100 other specialists/contractors to do work! There used to be fewer specialists, but then the demands for the service (students and schools using it) got unbearable and corporate needed to do something to make sure they still delivered on under-24-hour promises. So they hired too many people.What I learned: It's a decent service, but it seems that there is a turnaround issue with positions. I often see job postings for the company and there have been a number of times where personnel changed. I also learned that students have wildly different expectations for the service compared to what is delivered. Whether that's from false advertising or just lack of knowledge, who knows, but it was frustrating to have students get upset with my work when I was just doing what Studiosity's guidelines instructed me to.Management: There is no contact between the contractors (the 'subject specialists') -

Pros

Work from home, set your own hours, independent work

Cons

Pay, disorganised management, unsteady and unstable workload, communication

27 February 2022
Thank you for your feedback. :) The Writing Feedback service has always followed an academic calendar, with the busy and quiet periods that come with it. We take care to ensure that our Specialists are apprised of these periods well in advance, and are clear that the nature of the work is seasonal; this is also made clear during our recruitment processes.The guidelines our Specialists must follow when providing feedback to students are there to ensure that the work we do upholds Studiosity’s Academic Integrity policy, which underpins all that we do. Students are occasionally frustrated when we cannot edit or proofread their work, but our approach has been tailored to help them make meaningful and long-term improvements in their academic writing. We focus on helping them to identify errors and areas for improvement and providing them with the necessary information and support they need to make those improvements in their learning journeys. We frequently review our training, recruitment, communication, and service management processes to make sure they are consistent, fair, and well-suited to meet the needs of our Specialists and students. We also regularly review our pay rates to make sure they are fair and in line with the most recent industry standards. We will continue to do so as Studiosity and the demand for our services grows. :)

Work-life balance and supportive team

Working for Studiosity provides me with a great work-life balance. I am able to work remotely, with a collaborative and supportive team, in a role that allows me to help students to improve on their own skills. Holding a mentoring position also allows me to work closely with many of Studiosity’s Specialists and I find this relationship very rewarding.

Pros

Flexible, collaborative and supportive

20 February 2022
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! It is fantastic to hear that you find your role so rewarding. :)

Good culture, flexible schedule, but underpaid.

The management and organizational culture are good, supportive, providing timely response. Besides, it is totally remote and flexible, good for those who want to make some extra money. However, it is overall a gig work with low pay.

Pros

work from home flexible schedule good culture

Cons

low pay

9 February 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed the flexibility of the role as well as our supportive organisational culture. :)

A hit and miss company

First of all, most of Studiosity's strong points can be attributed to its very intuitive and user friendly online platform. I give massive credit to the IT department and the programmers who maintained and developed this because it really is a great platform to use that makes life so much easier for tutors. The work culture is also very supportive in terms of employee rapport. They have chatrooms for you to mingle with other tutors and discuss the work or just about anything. The work is also flexible that you can have your own schedule.Aside from that, I do not have much else to compliment this company. Their HR and quality assurance departments are really hit and miss. HR do not reply to emails and it is extremely difficult to get them to reply to you about anything. Even when they do reply, it's always corporate platitudes and, often, unhelpful information.Training materials are also inconsistent and, at times, outdated, and contradictory. Their "training" consists of reading a bunch of PDFs and then spending a few weeks being attached to a "mentor". The issue is that, because their training materials and the assignment examples they gave contain contradictory guidelines, "mentors" often perpetuated these inconsistencies in their feedback by linking you back to these documents. Then, if you have more questions and concerns, they deduct your performance scores because you "did not improve" or "failed to follow guidelines". You can go the majority of your training following the outdated guidelines until realising that they did not provide you with any meaningful feedback -

Pros

Intuitive online platforms. Great work culture

Cons

Pay. Management. Treatment of tutors.

OK for a side gig

I enjoyed working for Studiosity for about a year and then the manager changed. Things weren't as good after that but I stuck around for a total of three years. Where previously there had been individual feedback and a mentor assigned to work with tutors, after the management change there was suddenly only generic feedback and the mentor vanished. When I asked if the mentor was still available, I got no reply. I took a break from the work but when I tried to reactivate my account this year, I was told my work quality wasn't good enough. This was a surprise as I have worked successfully as a tutor for many years, had received no negative feedback (just the opposite, in fact) and my student feedback was 5/5. The work is fine for a side gig but the company has a habit of understaffing and then expecting tutors to work well over more a full-time week during busy periods. When tutors complain about the workload, the company over hires and there's not enough work to go around.

Pros

Flexible hours, if work is available

Cons

Alternates between too much work and not enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Studiosity. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Studiosity with

Learn about Studiosity in popular locations

• Studiosity