Student Works Employee Reviews

manual labour, previous painting ability is an asset
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Magog, QC27 February 2017
Billingualism is a must.
Must be in good shape.
Most enjoyable is working outside and getting some fresh air.
opportunity to earn more if one works hard enough
Previous painting skills and experience/training is key.
Robbed
Painter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2017
Was assured that even in piece work I would at the very minimum be paid for my hours. By the end of the summer I had worked over 500 hours that I was not paid for.
Not impressed with management, but decent wage
Painter (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 February 2017
Management was terrible; from a 5th year BCOM student I expected better:
- training was not sufficient
- they were not specific on instructions
- dangerous jobs were expected to be completed(involving painting around a live electrical wire while on a 12 ft ladder)
Pros
Wage
Cons
Worst management I have ever experienced
Exhilerating way to improve your qualities and develope new ones
Operator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
SWP offers students the opportunity to be young entrepreneurs and gives them the training, coaching and backup to do so. The work is hard but the payoff is huge. The environment is amazing and the social events are a blast. The people who are saying that it is a scam are people who werent willing to put in the amount of work that they were clearly warned about in the selection process
Pros
Money, connections, self improvement
Cons
Hard work
Learning experience of a lifetime
Senior Franchise Operator (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC19 January 2017
Working as a franchisee with SWP is an incredibly challenging, but rewarding experience. It is one that will teach you many things about life, business, and maybe even yourself. It is highly demanding and requires a lot of time, but the rewards, both personal and financial, are well worth the effort.

My manager was a great help in my 3 year journey running my own small business, he and the other managers are always available to answer questions and troubleshoot, give advice, and just generally help out.

The culture at Student Works is fun and energetic, on all levels including the management.
assisted in alleviating my social anxiety and helped improve my teamwork skills
Marketer/painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2016
spent most of the time in marketing going door to door, worked mostly on my own but soon got a chance to work with a team, unfortunately i was unable to continue due to medial issues at the time, but it wasn't to bad of a job
Pros
social interaction, biweekly pay, tools of the trade provided.
Cons
long hours, depending on where you live travel can be a hassle, some negative customers
Fun job - horrible management.
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
I worked for Student Works in Red Deer and was not treated fairly, nor did I get equal treatment to other employees. The "manager" was not vocal about his concerns/expectations and would often not respond to questions. Went about everything in a very unprofessional matter. I worked for about a month then decided to move on.
They also over charge customers - even for their own mistakes/bad job. Not good quality painting. And the whole "piece work" idea... Don't waste your time if your a student. This company screws people out of their time and money.
Pros
Good working hours, nice lunch break, friendly co-workers
Cons
disrespectful and unprofessional management
Fun job to have for those wanting to make money over the summer.
Door to Door Salesman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2016
I didn't mind this job because it allowed me to gain experience as a door to door marketer, encouraging me to build on my social skills and confidence with speaking. Allowed me to take control of a situation and deal with it according to me.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Inconvenience for those without a car
Poorly Managed and Unprofessional
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 July 2016
It's piece work so if they job is supposed to take 10 hours, regardless of if it takes 6 hours or 15 hours to complete, you're paid for 10. This would not be an issue if the person who estimated the hours did so accurately. On only 2 days of the 45 that I worked there did we finish when the estimator said we should have. My team and I worked quickly and tried our best to finish on time everyday, but as I said above, it was nearly impossible to finish when the estimator said we should. The person in charge of my team was too busy to answer our calls, and rarely came to help us paint, which often left us with unclear instructions on what to paint. This left some costumers very unhappy with the mistakes that were made that could have been avoided with a better, more organized manager. They had me and the other painters on very high ladders unsupervised for hours at a time. You don't get paid for the 20 hours of training either which consisted of painting one of the manager's houses for him for free. Overall, not a good place to work.
Cons
Don't get paid for all the work you do, poorly managed
Huge Benefits IF you work hard
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON28 April 2016
Working as an operator was an incredible, full-throttle immersion in all aspects of a business. Results are incredible in a short span of time and can produce a very lucrative summer. Leaving the job you feel as though you are truly capable of anything because of everything you learned and experienced. This job is not for the faint of heart as it requires 100+ hour weeks and little forgiveness for blunders along the way. A lot of stress can come from this job if you are prone to it. The management is a hands-off group that let's you do as you please with some guidance along the way but the operator is mostly independent all summer. If business is your interest and you are prepared to devote your time to your business then this job is spectacular. Be prepared for plenty of curve-balls though.
Pros
Build your own schedules
Cons
You're on your own mostly
Unprofessional
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 April 2016
Working 60 hours a week with a 2 week pay check, I would come back home with 350 $. I couldn't afford anything. Work was good and messy, however the salary at the end of the day was disappointing.
Fun Workplace
Painter (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK14 April 2016
It is fun and the boss is cool. Also, the people that I work with are nice and the clients and very appreciative of the work we do.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
cold calls
Fun place to work and be active.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 March 2016
As someone who enjoys manual labour in my youth, working with people my age in a company that recognized hard work with financial recognition was a great experience.
Great place to work, lots of teamwork and fun
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 February 2016
a typical day at student works: prepare crew for daily tasks, such as marketing and labour duties.

what i learned was how to handle workers in a professional manner and how to sell yourself on the job. How to treat people.

I got to meet management once, from what i know he was very friendly and straight to the point.

coworkers were always friendly and got along great with each other, completed all tasks ask of them and showed me how important team work really is.

Hardest part of the job was trying to maintain a steady schedule so all employees were happy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to come to work knowing that it was going to be something i enjoy doing everyday. The work crew kept things interesting :)
Pros
great group of people and excellent bonuses
Cons
couldnt get part time work (went back to school)
Made me become a better worker
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB1 February 2016
A typical work day included marketing, estimating or producing work or all three. I learned how to hire, fire and make employee's the best workers they could be. The hardest part of the job was running producing smoothly whole still trying to book work. The most enjoyable was seeing clients so happy when we finished the job and their house was freshly painted.
Pros
Good profit
Fantastic
owner operator (Current Employee) –  Georgetown4 January 2016
Student Works is an amazing environment! Provided a ton of insight into the world of entrepreneurship and an outstanding group of people!
Painting houses or inside buildings.
Alberta - Painter (Former Employee) –  St Paul, AB15 October 2015
It was fair, painting houses or inside buildings, using ladders and paint brushes to paint sprayers. Laying down tape and tarps so no paint messes. Was summer job so it only lasted 3 months.
Pros
Some of the people we were painting for were very nice
Cons
Boss not giving us all the details or not giving us enough supplies to finish said task within time, sometimes no bathrooms around so that was no fun
Not enough work
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 September 2015
When I was hired to work for Student Works Painting, I was promised much more work than I received. I was also promised an increase in pay over the summer which I also never received. However, it did give me the skills to be able to take on painting jobs on my own.
Pros
Good skill building experience
Cons
Not enough work
Franchisee/Operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 July 2015
I was gifted with the opportunity to run my own business at 18. Naturally this provided a huge opportunity for growth. WIth the stamp of a recognized company, I was given a practical crash business course in marketing, sales etc. As with any business the return on investment takes time to see. I only had the opportunity to run my company for one year.
It was great!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, Ontario8 July 2015
Student Works is a well balanced company with flexible hours and a tight-knit staff. I built many friendships through this company and I couldn't be more happy with the affability of the manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.