Student Works Employee Reviews

Well managed and friendly workplace
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2018
The job was labor intensive but relatively simple. Most days were spent painting the outside of houses. The hardest part of the job was working outside in the summer painting for long days. The most enjoyable part was meeting the customers and interacting with them.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Weather permitting
Easy and fun work environment
Painter (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 April 2018
Got along with co-workers and boss easily. Great way to interact with good people around my age and a nice summer tan painting outdoors. Pay was nice, but the experience was the most memorable.
Great experience, had a blast
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2018
Student Works gives great experience in leading a team, developing a business plan, marketing, and ensuring that you can make some good money along the way.
Great time
Manager, Window and Eaves Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 April 2018
Very good environment to learn how to run a business, great staff and you meet great individual every day. Bad job for lazy people. Learn a lot of life lessons.
Be comfortable with heights and understand the piece rate system.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklin, ON12 April 2018
I worked for two summers at student works. Both of my owner operators were pretty good guys who were well organized. I enjoyed my summers but the work was hard.
interesting
Painter (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 March 2018
if you do not have friends to do the job with you DO NOT DO THE JOB. you get underpaid for the amount of labour you put in, and the boss you work for rips you off majority of the time.
Good Place to Work if you have experience
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON14 March 2018
Good place to work if you want to work outside and gain practical experience. Not a great place to work if you are a slow painter as you will make less money because of the pay system. The pay system is broken as it encourages people to work faster and sloppier.
Pros
Made good friends
Cons
Long hours, the pay system isn't great
Not good work with low pay
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 February 2018
I should have left earlier. Total pyramid scheme that took advantage of many young people that didn't know any better. I am hoping someone that is about to take this job sees this review and decides otherwise.
Pros
Go Karting once
Cons
Low salary
Not Worth It
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
I worked at Student Works Painting for all of 2 weeks before being fired due to my "lack of enthusiasm towards painting." I'd argue it was because I wasn't getting paid my hours and I spoke up about it that my manager decided to let me go.
The job itself was long hours with barely any training beforehand and you were expected to work overtime with no pay if the job wasn't making good time.
Overall I do not recommend.
Pros
Sometimes my manager bought us lunch
Cons
Bad pay, no training, no overtime pay
Its a good opportunity to learn, but you really have to commit.
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2018
This job taught me a lot, but it almost made the year i spent working it a living h*ll. I made almost no profit and hated the process. My DM didn't seem to care a whole lot either.
hard
Painter (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC1 February 2018
my pay was always cut. piece rate isn't done right. times when i should be making money im not. sometimes dangerous when you have to go up a very long ladder with barely any experience
Entrepreneurial
FRANCHISE OWNER/OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Canada29 January 2018
Student Works Painting taught me a lot about how to effectively operate my own business. I learned a lot about myself and grew as an individual. To successful operate a Student Works Painting Franchise you must work extremely hard and put a lot go hours into it. Overall good learning experience, lots of work, good pay.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Student Works takes a large cut of revenue
Terrible Management
PAINTER/Sales (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 January 2018
Completed the season in August and did not get my final pay cheque until October. Very unprofessional leadership and not an enjoyable job. Working outdoors for 8 hours at a time was difficult as well.
Pros
Time outdoors, great coworkers
Cons
Unprofessional management, disorganized
Great work experience!
Marketer and Student Contractor, Painting Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2018
Great teamwork and always busy with jobs to do. Really fun way to spend the summer and develop some practical skills in marketing and managing your time.
Pros
Great teamwork
Waste of a Summer
Painter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick17 December 2017
Only worked half of the summer and had to get another student job due to a lack of jobs found by supervisor. Money was ok, but was basically minimum wage after unrealistic budgets weren't met.
Pros
Friendly environment at first.
Cons
Too many to list.
Difficult, uncomfortable and a tad dishonest, but it pays well
Franchise Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 December 2017
I ran a franchise for one only one season because that was all i could stomach, however, in that one season I made close to $20k.

Running a Student Works Franchise requires a huge time dedication from day one if you are going to be successful. If you slack off and don't take it seriously it can be easy to lose money on the endeavor.

The hardest part for me was the marketing, all the people you hear about that did $30-$50k were definitely out every single night banging on every door in there city and hustling for every lead. A good cold-caller can maybe get 1:20 people to give a lead and then maybe 1:5 of those become sales, however, if you run everything right 1 sale can easily mean $1000 in your pocket. But getting doors slammed in your face and insulted at 1:20 or so doors can really wear on you quick.

The only truly unethical part of the business is having to bold face lie to customers about your abilities early on. The training for how to paint is not until April and you start booking gigs in January, so for those early jobs when the customer asks if you can get a nice finish on something you just have to say yes and hope that after the training you will actually be able to. It definitely bit me more than once where my rep said to tell someone i could handle something which, come May, I definitely could not.

If you just want to make bank over the summer there is probably no better way for a student, however, you better not plan on having any actual summer in the meantime.
Pros
Good Pay, Invaluable Experience
Cons
Moderate Risk of Losing Money, No Work/Life Balance
Great Summer Internship Opportunity
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE21 November 2017
Student Works Painting and Window Cleaning offers as a great summer internship for students who have the ambition and the dedication to put their all into the business that they are building. The company culture is great with many individual high achievers aiming to raise the bar and defy expectations o what a student-run business is capable of.

Overall working with them was great and I would highly recommend to any student looking for a challenging work experience with great rewards.
Pros
Entrepreneurial Experience
good experience not for everyone
Painter (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 November 2017
good work experience with good people to work with. Also having optimal hours to have a life outside work. But very labour intensive and you need to be ready to bear the heat in summer months.
Pros
optimal hours
Cons
labour intensive
Hustle HARD
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 October 2017
Work Hard, Play Hard. Working with student works you learn that the amount of hours you put in are directly correlated with the results. Prepare to be challenged and pushed for the better.
Pros
sales experience
Challenging experience with many learning opportunities
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 October 2017
Building a business for the summer through Student Works Painting becomes a very satisfying experience after long hours of hard work juggling marketing, hiring, sales and employee/production management. At the end of the summer, I gained important insight about my capabilities, my improvements and how to incorporate what I learned into my future endeavours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.