Student Works Employee Reviews

Empowering Organization
Manager/Painter (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON30 January 2019
My problem solving and conflict management skills were forced to evolve. A typical day began in arriving at the job site in the morning, walking through the project with the client. We then planned out the most effective way to tackle the job, prepared paint and tools and went at it, tracking our progress with prepared production planners. Upon completion, we were to ensure the client was satisfied with all aspects of the job, collect the cheque for the final payment, clean up and head out. Company culture is fantastic, with everybody enrolled in excellence and hard work. Furthermore, there is plenty of room for upward mobility depending on how much responsibility you're willing to take on for the business. Overall, it is an incredible organization for learning valuable skills and testing your limits
Pros
Occasionally rewarded with drinks and coffee for good work
Cons
Can't think of any
Best work experience for an entrepreneurial student
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON29 January 2019
Student Works Painting gave me the ultimate challenge while in University. I gained so many unbelievable skills that have been used several times since owning my own painting business. I learned how to manage every aspect of a business which has been invaluable to me.
I met some of my best friends by being a part of this company and I even met amazing people through the clients that I did work for, which was unexpected.
I would recommend Student Works Painting to anybody who has an interest in business and wants to eventually be involved in what the business world has to offer.
Pros
Networking events, great company culture, life long relationships, results oriented compensation
Cons
Long hours, challenging job for a full time student to manage
Hard Job not for everyone
Exterior Painter (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2019
Busy job, fast pace environment, but satisfying when completing the Job. Depending on who your managers are can make or break the experience luckily my managers were fantastic and caring people
Pros
Cons
not hourly pay
Good place to hone your people skills!
Door to Door Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2019
Great way to get out there and learn to approach people.
Staff members are friendly and will go out of their way to make sure that you do well!
Student works is a great company to work for and is very accommodating to students who need to work part time.
Learned valuable skills
Lead generator (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON6 December 2018
it was a good working environment and learned alot. Scheduling could have been better planned as well as transportation to job sites. overall it was a good experience for me and i would do it again.
bad place to work
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON15 November 2018
This was one of the worse jobs i have had. They didnt pay like agreed. And i was givin a job title as crew chief but because employees where friends of boss i wasnt took serious. And then had hard time getting paid.
I didn't get paid even close to hours worked.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa6 November 2018
The underquoted the jobs in such an unnatainable way - meaning any additional hours worked went unpaid. Quoted hours: 7, actual hours: 25.
The manager I had was actually lovely which is why I stayed for the month and a half I did, however everything other than that was awful and she knew it as well. Outdoor painters got all but neglected working at this company.
it was ok
Cold Calling (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB22 October 2018
The job was ok except your going door to door in the cold. You also are only paid commission based on how many leads you get. If you get a community that doesn't have many leads, all that work goes for nothing.
Pros
Free hot chocolates
Cons
Bad pay.
Best experience of my life
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 October 2018
Student Works Painting gives you all the tools to run a smooth and profitable business. They give you daily coaching and support whenever you need it.

You get to work on all the aspects required to run a business. You get to do some sales, marketing, human resources, project management and administrative work. You get to develop excellent time-management and customer service skills.

The culture is also like nowhere other. There are events prepared every two weeks so you can meet some of the most ambitious students across Eastern Canada. The networking is key!
Great experience but a lot of work
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 September 2018
Student works is a great company to work for for a couple years if you are interested in business. They teach you everything you need to get started and they also provide and amazing support team. I would highly recommend working here and working here for a minimum of two years in order to really take advantage of the full experience.
Pros
Money, Culture, Experience, Relationships
Cons
Time Commitment, Work Life Balance
Unsatisfied and unorganized workplace
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
My colleagues were fantastic but overall, not the best experience or management I've received before. I sat around waiting a lot in the morning due to my boss consistently running an hour late daily and with the equipment I needed to to complete my duties. Pay was not always accurate and was being distributed wrongfully when I was first hired. Before I took this job I enjoyed painting until the workload was distributed unequally and some colleagues were favored over others.
When it came to questions they were never fully resolved or answered even after perusing and emailing management. It was also not a very steady summer job as I anticipated to keep it from May to August, unfortunately my boss had a conflict which resulted them being gone for a week or two but I was never informed of their return leaving me without a job since July. Therefore my experience was not great and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to students who are expecting to pay off school. Even though you are promised a certain salary, it is doubtful that you will receive it.
Pros
Job for the Summer
Cons
Long hours, hit or miss with management, weather conditions
Most Valuable Summer of my Life
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Outaouais, QC28 August 2018
I worked as a painter and an operator for 3 years and learned more from this program than I did in business school. This is real-life tangible work experience that permits young university students to utilize the business skills they have learned at Student Works in various aspects of the career and life. Not to mention the great company culture! I would recommend this position to anyone that is looking to challenge themselves and actually obtain real-life business experience as opposed to memorizing textbooks. Work hard in this program and you will see results!
Pros
Above-average compensation, high reward & satisfaction.
Cons
Long hours (if you leave everything to the last minute--up to you!!)
Great for people that are willing to work hard
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 August 2018
working with student works is an amazing experience and im so thrilled I took it on. The skills that you learn through this company are invaluable and will benefit you greatly throughout your entire life, no matter what path you decide to take. Your network will grow exponentially as there are so many great people that join the company who all have a very similar mindset to you, and they all know how to have a good time!
If you are willing to work the hardest you've ever worked before, grow yourself as an individual and business person, and make some fat stacks, I would definitely recommend this opportunity.
Pros
meet lots of great people, make lots of cash!
Cons
need to be willing to work reeaaaally hard
Growing experience like no other
Operator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 August 2018
In this position, you have the opportunity to grow and develop like no other role you will find as a student. You have the opportunity to learn invaluable sales, organizational, and management skills that basically transfer over to every other aspect of life. You have the possibility to make a lot of money, if you're willing to work harder than you ever have before. The network surrounding you and the training you get is one of the single best networks you will find in your life, and it will push you to find your better self. This position is not for everyone and is designed for those who are better than average. It's for those who are attracted to the possibility to be pushed beyond your limits and enjoy the challenge. It's long hours, and, like any other business, it will be a while before you see a profit. If you are unwilling or unable to work hard, and you want a smooth ride through the summer, you will not make good money for the amount of hours you worked. In this role, you will see continuous cycles of highs and lows, where the lows suck and highs are phenomenal. Would only recommend if you think you have a work ethic and dedication the excels beyond your peers. All-in-all, the best part of this challenging opportunity is that whether you succeed or fail, it will be one of the largest developmental experiences of your life and will set you on a better and higher path for your future career.
Pros
Possibility for good pay, guarantee of development, good network of people.
Cons
Long hours, hard work, no guarantee of success.
Amazing opportunity to run your own business
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 August 2018
Working with Student Works Painting has been an amazing experience as I got to run my first business successfully thanks to the tremendous suport and ongoing coaching. I learnt many important life skills throughout the experience as well.
Pros
Run your own business at a young age, constant coaching and support, established base for first business, work hard play hard!
Cons
Long days and large commitment (hard work pays off)
Amazing opportunity for hardworking students!
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 July 2018
I was the owner operator of a student works painting business for the past 3 summers. It really has been a life changing journey for me to go through the program. They taught me everything I needed to know to run my own business for the first time and gave me ongoing support and coaching throughout the 3 years.

This is a company focused on the personal development of its operators, which is probably my favourite part of the company. When you work hard, there is also unmatched earning potential for students.
Pros
Really great earning potential - which is directly tied to how hard you work, so you really earn what you're worth, A lot of autonomy because you're your own boss, Amazing company culture with other ambitious hardworking students, Learn how to run your own business with 1-on-1 coaching with experienced mentors
Cons
Long days, a lot of dedication to the business
Work Hard Play Hard
Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 July 2018
No beating around the bush this job is hard but super rewarding. Student Works provides you with all the tools run a successful business whether it be Painting or Exterior Cleaning. Two quality traits are needed to be a good to great operator! Strong personable skills for dealing clients on both the sales side of things and the production side. The other trait it will pay to be great at is having a strong work ethic and Student Works will help to encourage this with competitive weekly leader boards, weekly calls with coaches and a great network of people that are all wanting to push themselves to be better.

All in all, I had a great experience with Student Works after operating for two years and making six times what my peers made and working three times as much. Great company events and the people you network with is like no other.
Pros
Lots of freedom in schedule if organized
Cons
Working at times 60+ hours/week
'inconvenient, bad manager
Painter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2018
The job itself can be fun. Or not. The manager I had was the sketchiest piece of garbage, who always got on your case for not doing something properly when you haven't received adequate training for it. She sat around and ordered you to do things while she just ate food.
Fun!
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC20 June 2018
It is a very Interesting job, meeting new people, painting houses (interior and Exterior). Working as a team taught me a lot, It is a fun job when you know what you are doing and seeing people happy with there done. It made me feel appreciated.
Pros
30 minutes breaks.
Cons
Not enough work.
Not great.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
Estimates for how much I made per house were very very low, I worked 40 hours between mon tues wed thurs in my first week (with a 4 hour shift on friday) and only made my wage for 24 of those hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.