Student Works Employee Review

View all Student Works reviews

Great experience, had a blast
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2018
Student Works gives great experience in leading a team, developing a business plan, marketing, and ensuring that you can make some good money along the way.

Other Student Works Employee Reviews

Takes advantage students
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2019
I worked for this company for 2 years and they quote each job at a much higher rate than other contractor and use your home as a training ground for painters who don’t know what they’re doing and don’t care about the job. I showed up to the first day in my second year to a boss who had no idea what he was doing and no painting experience. I lost so much money due to improper training. Our wages get marked up on the quote sheets (ex. Marked up at 23$ but the employees only see 17$). They take 32% of each job and do not pay their franchisees, digging them into debt and then force you to pay 6500 to get out of the contract. Do not DO NOT go with this company. They only use students to bring in sales and don’t care about their success, instead they just mentally push people to meet quotas and they blame them and give them trouble when they do it wrong. The district manager also threatened his employees when they say they’re going to quit and said that he has means of getting the money which wasn’t pretty. My second franchisee had to quit due to terrible advice from his district manager causing him to go into thousands in debt and now they’re trying to drain him of even more money. Don’t go with this company. They’re AWFUL.
Pros
My franchisees were nice people.
Cons
Unpaid lunches, piece rate pay which when jobs are under quoted means you get underpaid, franchisees get lack of training and thrown into the job site
Unfair management, don't bother working for this company.
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 July 2019
My manager set up a job for us about 2 hours out of town. It was a house, and would take 4 days to complete, so we would be staying there ("camping") for the duration it would take to finish. My manager promised to accommodate us while we were there with a place to sleep and supper. We had to pack our own food which was not compensated by them. The "accommodation" they gave us was a tent trailer with numerous holes, and a single pack of frozen hotdogs for supper. I was the only female and had to share the small space with two other male workers— highly inappropriate. We all knew it was unfair and wrong but stuck it out for the first day.

It was humid and very hot, and the mosquitoes were especially terrible at this particular job due to the trees and bushes surrounding the entire house. I felt sick by the end of the first day and expressed that it didn't seem worth it to my manager. They gave us a pay raise for the job, but by the end of the next day I was too sick to stay and had to go home. Another worker had gone home by this point so it wasn't just me. I told my manager and kept them updated, even said I would go out again if I was feeling better, but never heard back from them. I couldn't go back due to sickness/nausea from the mosquito bites and humid weather and was unwell for the following couple of days.

I didn't hear from them until the following Monday where they requested to meet with me, so I did, and when I got there my manager was obviously mad at me. They told me they had no more work for me and that my next pay cheque would be my last. They lied about
  more... having no work for me to do, because I was still in touch with my crew partner who had met them earlier and had been given flyers to deliver. My manager fired me without notice or good reason. Up until that point I worked hard and finished everything they gave us to do, despite the many times when the working conditions were unsafe.

I would not recommend this job to another student; the workload is hard but tolerable under the proper conditions, but you won't be paid enough and may end up being let go without warning.
Pros
small income
Cons
very poor management, unsafe conditions, poorly compensated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.