Student Works Employee Review

View all Student Works reviews

Reliable work and good pay
Crew Chief / Exterior Painter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 April 2015
Each day consists of arriving at the job site, discussing work strategy, and then painting all day. Door to door marketing is a minimal component of the job. The job can be monotonous at times, but overall is rewarding. No experience is required, managers will train you on the job and therefore this company is a great way for students not trained formally in a trade to find reliable summer work. Must be willing to work long hours and at heights.
Pros
Constant work at decent pay
Cons
Employees must work at heights on ladders, Job has potential for injury even though saftey training is provided

Other Student Works Employee Reviews

Awesome experience
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 July 2019
The best introduction you can get into business as a student, without question. Amazing program, amazing people in it. The owner is truly passionate about developing students and you can feel it.
Pros
Money, network, experience
Cons
Work every day
Takes advantage students
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2019
I worked for this company for 2 years and they quote each job at a much higher rate than other contractor and use your home as a training ground for painters who don’t know what they’re doing and don’t care about the job. I showed up to the first day in my second year to a boss who had no idea what he was doing and no painting experience. I lost so much money due to improper training. Our wages get marked up on the quote sheets (ex. Marked up at 23$ but the employees only see 17$). They take 32% of each job and do not pay their franchisees, digging them into debt and then force you to pay 6500 to get out of the contract. Do not DO NOT go with this company. They only use students to bring in sales and don’t care about their success, instead they just mentally push people to meet quotas and they blame them and give them trouble when they do it wrong. The district manager also threatened his employees when they say they’re going to quit and said that he has means of getting the money which wasn’t pretty. My second franchisee had to quit due to terrible advice from his district manager causing him to go into thousands in debt and now they’re trying to drain him of even more money. Don’t go with this company. They’re AWFUL.
Pros
My franchisees were nice people.
Cons
Unpaid lunches, piece rate pay which when jobs are under quoted means you get underpaid, franchisees get lack of training and thrown into the job site

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.