Student Works Employee Review

View all Student Works reviews

Shady Company: prays on student who need jobs but can't find any and on clients
painter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON14 June 2019
Why is it shady?

- You are told not to talk about the budgeted time for a project or any problems that arise near the clients.

- Training was not paid and took place for a few days where me and another person had to paint the house of the supervisor for free. The training didn't end when we showed the sufficient skills for the job, but when the area we started was finished completely.

- The zing term: "result based environment" is used, this does not mean you get to beat the allotted time and earn 30$/hr as you might be baited with; it means that the managers can set any budget and complain when you take more time.

If you read this and still chooses to ignore this review and you end up having training time set up. Check if the training is paid and ask how much time will you be training. If you are not paid and the time depends on your learning speed: run. This is not a legal advice but it might be the company tries to not pay for your training by putting it outside normal work times. So if your training is setup for 5 PM or so, your going to be scammed.

The last paragraph is ways that I see to check if your specific supervisor will be good or bad. If your supervisor pays for training then your good to go... probably. Remember to see if they ask for your SIN number and a void check first, if they don't they might not pay you, as they have no way of doing it yet.

If you know the supervisor in person, ask your self: "how did they get to that position?". If your answer is "probably their parent got them in because they are pretty irresponsible" then you know they
  more... won't be so good.

You will probably get an inexperienced manager, this means they will usually be afraid of losing any money if you take a realistic amount of time to finish the project, causing to either cut your hours or rush you to make mistakes you will have to clean for free outside of work hours.
Pros
Work with other students.
Cons
Shady practices. unreal time budgets. work with inexperienced managers.

Other Student Works Employee Reviews

Awesome experience
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 July 2019
The best introduction you can get into business as a student, without question. Amazing program, amazing people in it. The owner is truly passionate about developing students and you can feel it.
Pros
Money, network, experience
Cons
Work every day
Takes advantage students
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2019
I worked for this company for 2 years and they quote each job at a much higher rate than other contractor and use your home as a training ground for painters who don’t know what they’re doing and don’t care about the job. I showed up to the first day in my second year to a boss who had no idea what he was doing and no painting experience. I lost so much money due to improper training. Our wages get marked up on the quote sheets (ex. Marked up at 23$ but the employees only see 17$). They take 32% of each job and do not pay their franchisees, digging them into debt and then force you to pay 6500 to get out of the contract. Do not DO NOT go with this company. They only use students to bring in sales and don’t care about their success, instead they just mentally push people to meet quotas and they blame them and give them trouble when they do it wrong. The district manager also threatened his employees when they say they’re going to quit and said that he has means of getting the money which wasn’t pretty. My second franchisee had to quit due to terrible advice from his district manager causing him to go into thousands in debt and now they’re trying to drain him of even more money. Don’t go with this company. They’re AWFUL.
Pros
My franchisees were nice people.
Cons
Unpaid lunches, piece rate pay which when jobs are under quoted means you get underpaid, franchisees get lack of training and thrown into the job site

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.