Student Works Employee Review

View all Student Works reviews

Learning experience of a lifetime
Senior Franchise Operator (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC19 January 2017
Working as a franchisee with SWP is an incredibly challenging, but rewarding experience. It is one that will teach you many things about life, business, and maybe even yourself. It is highly demanding and requires a lot of time, but the rewards, both personal and financial, are well worth the effort.

My manager was a great help in my 3 year journey running my own small business, he and the other managers are always available to answer questions and troubleshoot, give advice, and just generally help out.

The culture at Student Works is fun and energetic, on all levels including the management.

Other Student Works Employee Reviews

Shady Company: prays on student who need jobs but can't find any and on clients
painter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON14 June 2019
Why is it shady?

- You are told not to talk about the budgeted time for a project or any problems that arise near the clients.

- Training was not paid and took place for a few days where me and another person had to paint the house of the supervisor for free. The training didn't end when we showed the sufficient skills for the job, but when the area we started was finished completely.

- The zing term: "result based environment" is used, this does not mean you get to beat the allotted time and earn 30$/hr as you might be baited with; it means that the managers can set any budget and complain when you take more time.

If you read this and still chooses to ignore this review and you end up having training time set up. Check if the training is paid and ask how much time will you be training. If you are not paid and the time depends on your learning speed: run. This is not a legal advice but it might be the company tries to not pay for your training by putting it outside normal work times. So if your training is setup for 5 PM or so, your going to be scammed.

The last paragraph is ways that I see to check if your specific supervisor will be good or bad. If your supervisor pays for training then your good to go... probably. Remember to see if they ask for your SIN number and a void check first, if they don't they might not pay you, as they have no way of doing it yet.

If you know the supervisor in person, ask your self: "how did they get to that position?". If your answer is "probably their parent got them in because they are pretty irresponsible" then you know they
  more... won't be so good.

You will probably get an inexperienced manager, this means they will usually be afraid of losing any money if you take a realistic amount of time to finish the project, causing to either cut your hours or rush you to make mistakes you will have to clean for free outside of work hours.
Pros
Work with other students.
Cons
Shady practices. unreal time budgets. work with inexperienced managers.
Hectic and unrealistic
Painter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2019
Your experience will really depend on who your franchisee is. Mine was disorganized and unprofessional, never updating the schedule and sending us to the wrong address. Very inefficient, making multiple trips back and forth to the paint store because of miscommunication. Expect to use your own vehicle to transport and store the crew kit as well as driving all over the city for hours to get the paint your franchisee forgot- and don’t expect any form of extra perk or to even be make crew chief for doing this extra work. There’s essentially no hands-on training, you teach yourself as you go which is stressful and the franchisee constantly asks if we’re doing things ‘properly’ without ever training us ‘properly’. The time budgets they set for most jobs are accurate/tight but occasionally you’ll be expected to do a hard job in half the required time. In the interview they say it’s a Mon-Fri job but expect to be scheduled weekends without being asked. Overall, it’s an ok job for a summer but don’t expect to gain much experience other than mediocre painting skills, and learning how to have patience with incompetent coworkers.
Pros
Monthly pay increases
Cons
No training, no benefits, no gas reimbursement, disorganized