Student Works Employee Review

View all Student Works reviews

Fun place to work and be active.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 March 2016
As someone who enjoys manual labour in my youth, working with people my age in a company that recognized hard work with financial recognition was a great experience.

Other Student Works Employee Reviews

Horrible Experience
Opérateur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 June 2019
80% of their employees leave every year. It's not because it's hard.. it's because you won't have a good summer.

They will promise you lots of money. But they are hiding fees, not giving you proper training and won't support you properly. I hated my summer.
Pros
You learn how to charm clients into beliving your lies
Cons
You don't know what you're doing.
Shady Company: prays on student who need jobs but can't find any and on clients
painter (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON14 June 2019
Why is it shady?

- You are told not to talk about the budgeted time for a project or any problems that arise near the clients.

- Training was not paid and took place for a few days where me and another person had to paint the house of the supervisor for free. The training didn't end when we showed the sufficient skills for the job, but when the area we started was finished completely.

- The zing term: "result based environment" is used, this does not mean you get to beat the allotted time and earn 30$/hr as you might be baited with; it means that the managers can set any budget and complain when you take more time.

If you read this and still chooses to ignore this review and you end up having training time set up. Check if the training is paid and ask how much time will you be training. If you are not paid and the time depends on your learning speed: run. This is not a legal advice but it might be the company tries to not pay for your training by putting it outside normal work times. So if your training is setup for 5 PM or so, your going to be scammed.

The last paragraph is ways that I see to check if your specific supervisor will be good or bad. If your supervisor pays for training then your good to go... probably. Remember to see if they ask for your SIN number and a void check first, if they don't they might not pay you, as they have no way of doing it yet.

If you know the supervisor in person, ask your self: "how did they get to that position?". If your answer is "probably their parent got them in because they are pretty irresponsible" then you know they
  more... won't be so good.

You will probably get an inexperienced manager, this means they will usually be afraid of losing any money if you take a realistic amount of time to finish the project, causing to either cut your hours or rush you to make mistakes you will have to clean for free outside of work hours.
Pros
Work with other students.
Cons
Shady practices. unreal time budgets. work with inexperienced managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.