Student Works Management reviews

Long hours, unreliable pay, not enough training
Marketer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2019
Management was often disorganized and had an unrealistically tight schedule. The pay was "incentive-based piece work" so if you are behind schedule you are essentially working for free.
poor management
WINDOW CLEANING, STUDENT WORKS (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2019
poor and unfair management, underpaid and not respected. When i tried calling a superior at the company i was told that there was no one to help me and i was forced to quit.
Work Hard Play Hard
Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 January 2019
Do not expect a 9 to 5 job.
They teach you how to run a proper business.
All you got to do is: JUST DO IT.
They tell want to expect.
They really follow the Work Hard Play Hard model.
Best work environment for personal growth
Division Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 January 2019
The culture within the company cannot be replicated. Working at Student Works has been the best 2+ years of my life. I was able to manage my own division of the company. This gives me a lot of control and flexibility over my work experience. A position as a division manager is super rewarding. I have learned and earned much more than the vast majority of my friends outside of the company. Upper management is also very active and engaging and genuinely care about growing managers as individuals.
Owner/Operator
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2019
An incredibly challenging position that teaches you a ton about being an entrepreneur. You learn a lot and have lots of autonomy. The management and support is quite extensive and they provide pretty intensive training. Long days, you certainly have to be willing to work.
Pros
Great pay, lots of learning, autonomy, unique experience, amazing culture.
Cons
It’s a lot of work, you have to be ready to put in the hours over the summer and manage your time well.
Empowering Organization
Manager/Painter (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON30 January 2019
My problem solving and conflict management skills were forced to evolve. A typical day began in arriving at the job site in the morning, walking through the project with the client. We then planned out the most effective way to tackle the job, prepared paint and tools and went at it, tracking our progress with prepared production planners. Upon completion, we were to ensure the client was satisfied with all aspects of the job, collect the cheque for the final payment, clean up and head out. Company culture is fantastic, with everybody enrolled in excellence and hard work. Furthermore, there is plenty of room for upward mobility depending on how much responsibility you're willing to take on for the business. Overall, it is an incredible organization for learning valuable skills and testing your limits
Pros
Occasionally rewarded with drinks and coffee for good work
Cons
Can't think of any
it was ok
Cold Calling (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB22 October 2018
The job was ok except your going door to door in the cold. You also are only paid commission based on how many leads you get. If you get a community that doesn't have many leads, all that work goes for nothing.
Pros
Free hot chocolates
Cons
Bad pay.
Best experience of my life
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 October 2018
Student Works Painting gives you all the tools to run a smooth and profitable business. They give you daily coaching and support whenever you need it.

You get to work on all the aspects required to run a business. You get to do some sales, marketing, human resources, project management and administrative work. You get to develop excellent time-management and customer service skills.

The culture is also like nowhere other. There are events prepared every two weeks so you can meet some of the most ambitious students across Eastern Canada. The networking is key!
Unsatisfied and unorganized workplace
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
My colleagues were fantastic but overall, not the best experience or management I've received before. I sat around waiting a lot in the morning due to my boss consistently running an hour late daily and with the equipment I needed to to complete my duties. Pay was not always accurate and was being distributed wrongfully when I was first hired. Before I took this job I enjoyed painting until the workload was distributed unequally and some colleagues were favored over others.
When it came to questions they were never fully resolved or answered even after perusing and emailing management. It was also not a very steady summer job as I anticipated to keep it from May to August, unfortunately my boss had a conflict which resulted them being gone for a week or two but I was never informed of their return leaving me without a job since July. Therefore my experience was not great and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to students who are expecting to pay off school. Even though you are promised a certain salary, it is doubtful that you will receive it.
Pros
Job for the Summer
Cons
Long hours, hit or miss with management, weather conditions
Growing experience like no other
Operator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 August 2018
In this position, you have the opportunity to grow and develop like no other role you will find as a student. You have the opportunity to learn invaluable sales, organizational, and management skills that basically transfer over to every other aspect of life. You have the possibility to make a lot of money, if you're willing to work harder than you ever have before. The network surrounding you and the training you get is one of the single best networks you will find in your life, and it will push you to find your better self. This position is not for everyone and is designed for those who are better than average. It's for those who are attracted to the possibility to be pushed beyond your limits and enjoy the challenge. It's long hours, and, like any other business, it will be a while before you see a profit. If you are unwilling or unable to work hard, and you want a smooth ride through the summer, you will not make good money for the amount of hours you worked. In this role, you will see continuous cycles of highs and lows, where the lows suck and highs are phenomenal. Would only recommend if you think you have a work ethic and dedication the excels beyond your peers. All-in-all, the best part of this challenging opportunity is that whether you succeed or fail, it will be one of the largest developmental experiences of your life and will set you on a better and higher path for your future career.
Pros
Possibility for good pay, guarantee of development, good network of people.
Cons
Long hours, hard work, no guarantee of success.
Terrible Management
PAINTER/Sales (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 January 2018
Completed the season in August and did not get my final pay cheque until October. Very unprofessional leadership and not an enjoyable job. Working outdoors for 8 hours at a time was difficult as well.
Pros
Time outdoors, great coworkers
Cons
Unprofessional management, disorganized
A great start to running your own business and learning the ropes
Student Works Painting - Franchise Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2017
If you are looking for so much more than you standard "Sumer Job" then do NOT turn down the clip board going around your university classroom! it could be a decision that changes your life. You learn so much about dealign with clients, managing employees and a to about yourself.
Hard but satisfying job
Owner / Operator of Burlington West (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 September 2017
They don't lie when they say that this will be the hardest thing you have ever done. It is stressful at the best of times and almost intolerable at the worst. However, at the end of the summer, looking back and realizing what you accomplished is better than anything you suffered for it. The district managers are there to hold your hand or kick you in the butt depending which one you need most and it makes it more manageable. Early mornings and late nights are expected and congratulated, but the parties are fast and furious.

Work hard, play harder.
Pros
great events
Cons
long hours, you pay for everything
Disorganized
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
Managers are very positive and supportive students but inexperienced. Results in a chaotic and disorganized work environment . The wage is definitely not worth it.
Prepare for lost wages and a giant headache
Painter (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove9 June 2017
The first red flag was being told we would not get paid for the training we attended. I was promised one project a week and I did not hear from my boss until two weeks after training. No email or text responses. My online schedule revealed I was given 3 projects for the next month.

Student works pays a piece rate. This means that a project is expected to get completed in a set amount of hours. If you finish early or take longer than expected, the pay remains the same. This was not a problem for me because I am an experienced painter. After my first project I asked my boss how much I would be paid for it. I also took pictures of the documents he provided us, outlining the project. If you decide to work for student works document all that you can! This saved my butt.

After my first shift, our pay day was changed multiple times. Excuses included "I am going away for the long weekend, so I will pay you Monday" and "I forgot to submit the hours to head office". Finally, I contacted the labour board who encouraged me to file a report. As required, I notified my boss of this process.

After this, a second shift was cancelled with no notice. My boss did not email or contact me. I just never heard back from him even though his texts registered as read. Two days after his most recent "expected pay date", he told me I could pick up my paycheque and sent me to an address with nobody home. Then he continued to ignore emails and texts for two days.

Finally, I wrote an angry google review and heard from head office. My boss immediately met me and dropped off my paycheque which
  more... was short. Turns out, I had been paid out for the exact number of hours I had worked. I soon got a call from someone higher up in the company to follow up. When I explained my hours, I was told that I misunderstood piece work. By revealing my documents and explaining that I had submitted them to the labor board I was finally paid out for the whole project, my training, and the cancelled shifts.

Head office is very unprofessional and sleazy for lack of a better word. Many excuses were made for my boss during the phone calls with management. The response to the review online mentioned that "There is no need to resort to social media at the expense of Student Works and especially all the other student business owners close to you". Head office repeatedly exploits students by using them as a ethical token when at the end of the day, they can make less than 10% of a very expensive project.

Student works asked me more than once to removed my online review which I did not. I asked that they instead follow up with my coworkers and compensate for their loss wages. As of today, this has still not happened.

This is my experience. I am sure you could be lucky enough to get a good boss who pays you well. Remember to take a picture of all project documentation or you have no way to prove what they promised to pay you.
Pros
work with cool people
Cons
unprofessional, labour board disputes, inconsistent hours, bad head office
Fun Job- Unprofessional Management
Painter (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 May 2017
Getting hired as a painter at student works was a job unlike any I ever had.

I made awesome friendships with my crew, had a lot of fun meeting different families and people, enjoyed doing the jobs I was assigned, however the company itself focuses only on benefiting management.

I learned some valuable skills that I can use for hand-work jobs possibly, but if I could do it over again I would have picked a more professional company that benefits their labourers better.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Bad Pay
Owner and Operator
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 May 2017
Expensive to start, to be honest. As much as they keep emphasizing that it is much less inexpensive compared to other franchises out there. It is not true because SWP is not a legal franchise, it simply operates like one. They have a really poor management, meaning the coaches or so called DM are not able to help you in any way besides emphasizing that you must hit your target goal. Also, they are really bad at assigning territories for their operators (Trust me you know what I mean or You'll know what I mean eventually). The company does not Pay for the events that they organize all must come out of your pocket... As for the training, they bombard you with massive information for 2 days and expect you to implement it ASAP ... sadly it does not work that way. As for the painting training... Seriously ... They can even provide a proper paint training ...
Pros
Business experience
Cons
Pay, long hours, unrealistic goals, training
Fun job with great people. Lacks managment.
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 May 2017
The work was great and the people who i worked with were amazing. I loved the work and the clients. Was not given what i was promised. Poor management. Management cared more about the money than the quality.
Pros
Great people. Great work.
Cons
Managment did not care about product only the money.
Not impressed with management, but decent wage
Painter (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 February 2017
Management was terrible; from a 5th year BCOM student I expected better:
- training was not sufficient
- they were not specific on instructions
- dangerous jobs were expected to be completed(involving painting around a live electrical wire while on a 12 ft ladder)
Pros
Wage
Cons
Worst management I have ever experienced
Learning experience of a lifetime
Senior Franchise Operator (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC19 January 2017
Working as a franchisee with SWP is an incredibly challenging, but rewarding experience. It is one that will teach you many things about life, business, and maybe even yourself. It is highly demanding and requires a lot of time, but the rewards, both personal and financial, are well worth the effort.

My manager was a great help in my 3 year journey running my own small business, he and the other managers are always available to answer questions and troubleshoot, give advice, and just generally help out.

The culture at Student Works is fun and energetic, on all levels including the management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.