Student Works Employee Reviews for Store Owner

3.2Pay & Benefits
3.3Job Security & Advancement
Difficult, uncomfortable and a tad dishonest, but it pays well
Franchise Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 December 2017
I ran a franchise for one only one season because that was all i could stomach, however, in that one season I made close to $20k.

Running a Student Works Franchise requires a huge time dedication from day one if you are going to be successful. If you slack off and don't take it seriously it can be easy to lose money on the endeavor.

The hardest part for me was the marketing, all the people you hear about that did $30-$50k were definitely out every single night banging on every door in there city and hustling for every lead. A good cold-caller can maybe get 1:20 people to give a lead and then maybe 1:5 of those become sales, however, if you run everything right 1 sale can easily mean $1000 in your pocket. But getting doors slammed in your face and insulted at 1:20 or so doors can really wear on you quick.

The only truly unethical part of the business is having to bold face lie to customers about your abilities early on. The training for how to paint is not until April and you start booking gigs in January, so for those early jobs when the customer asks if you can get a nice finish on something you just have to say yes and hope that after the training you will actually be able to. It definitely bit me more than once where my rep said to tell someone i could handle something which, come May, I definitely could not.

If you just want to make bank over the summer there is probably no better way for a student, however, you better not plan on having any actual summer in the meantime.
Pros
Good Pay, Invaluable Experience
Cons
Moderate Risk of Losing Money, No Work/Life Balance