Student Works Employee Reviews for Painter/Laborer

bad place to work
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON15 November 2018
This was one of the worse jobs i have had. They didnt pay like agreed. And i was givin a job title as crew chief but because employees where friends of boss i wasnt took serious. And then had hard time getting paid.
Fun and stimulating work environment focused on quality of work
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
Student Works is a great company providing students with secure summer job opportunities while they are out of school. The workplace was always accepting and encouraged employees to teach each other and learn to be the best painters they could be. The employees and managers were always respectful and communicative, and every job was completed on time or sooner, and always met the clients expectation of quality. The pay rate was dictated by the speed of work completion. You are paid per job, not by the hour, so the harder and faster you work, the more you will make. However, every completed project is inspected by every painter, the site manager, and the client before being approved as being completed.
Pros
Fun work environment and the ability to dictate how much you make by how hard you work
Cons
Weather dependent (i.e. cannot work in the rain, therefore cannot finish work for pay)
manual labour, previous painting ability is an asset
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Magog, QC27 February 2017
Billingualism is a must.
Must be in good shape.
Most enjoyable is working outside and getting some fresh air.
opportunity to earn more if one works hard enough
Previous painting skills and experience/training is key.
Fun job - horrible management.
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
I worked for Student Works in Red Deer and was not treated fairly, nor did I get equal treatment to other employees. The "manager" was not vocal about his concerns/expectations and would often not respond to questions. Went about everything in a very unprofessional matter. I worked for about a month then decided to move on.
They also over charge customers - even for their own mistakes/bad job. Not good quality painting. And the whole "piece work" idea... Don't waste your time if your a student. This company screws people out of their time and money.
Pros
Good working hours, nice lunch break, friendly co-workers
Cons
disrespectful and unprofessional management
Poorly Managed and Unprofessional
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 July 2016
It's piece work so if they job is supposed to take 10 hours, regardless of if it takes 6 hours or 15 hours to complete, you're paid for 10. This would not be an issue if the person who estimated the hours did so accurately. On only 2 days of the 45 that I worked there did we finish when the estimator said we should have. My team and I worked quickly and tried our best to finish on time everyday, but as I said above, it was nearly impossible to finish when the estimator said we should. The person in charge of my team was too busy to answer our calls, and rarely came to help us paint, which often left us with unclear instructions on what to paint. This left some costumers very unhappy with the mistakes that were made that could have been avoided with a better, more organized manager. They had me and the other painters on very high ladders unsupervised for hours at a time. You don't get paid for the 20 hours of training either which consisted of painting one of the manager's houses for him for free. Overall, not a good place to work.
Cons
Don't get paid for all the work you do, poorly managed