Student Works Employee Reviews for Painter

Great Company
Painter (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 May 2019
Friendly, hard working crew. They are very diligent in meeting all requirements of the client, and do an excellent job setting up and cleaning, so the client can be assured that their space is taken care of and looking great when they come home.
Long hours, unreliable pay, not enough training
Marketer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2019
Management was often disorganized and had an unrealistically tight schedule. The pay was "incentive-based piece work" so if you are behind schedule you are essentially working for free.
huge resume booster, loved every minute of running my own business
Painter (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON4 February 2019
Had a great summer painting with my friends, my boss was a great guy and had work for us all summer long. I built some great relationships with fellow painters, the pay was great as well! Worth all the hard work
Pros
Good pay, great people
Cons
Hard work, long hours
Empowering Organization
Manager/Painter (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON30 January 2019
My problem solving and conflict management skills were forced to evolve. A typical day began in arriving at the job site in the morning, walking through the project with the client. We then planned out the most effective way to tackle the job, prepared paint and tools and went at it, tracking our progress with prepared production planners. Upon completion, we were to ensure the client was satisfied with all aspects of the job, collect the cheque for the final payment, clean up and head out. Company culture is fantastic, with everybody enrolled in excellence and hard work. Furthermore, there is plenty of room for upward mobility depending on how much responsibility you're willing to take on for the business. Overall, it is an incredible organization for learning valuable skills and testing your limits
Pros
Occasionally rewarded with drinks and coffee for good work
Cons
Can't think of any
I didn't get paid even close to hours worked.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa6 November 2018
The underquoted the jobs in such an unnatainable way - meaning any additional hours worked went unpaid. Quoted hours: 7, actual hours: 25.
The manager I had was actually lovely which is why I stayed for the month and a half I did, however everything other than that was awful and she knew it as well. Outdoor painters got all but neglected working at this company.
Unsatisfied and unorganized workplace
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
My colleagues were fantastic but overall, not the best experience or management I've received before. I sat around waiting a lot in the morning due to my boss consistently running an hour late daily and with the equipment I needed to to complete my duties. Pay was not always accurate and was being distributed wrongfully when I was first hired. Before I took this job I enjoyed painting until the workload was distributed unequally and some colleagues were favored over others.
When it came to questions they were never fully resolved or answered even after perusing and emailing management. It was also not a very steady summer job as I anticipated to keep it from May to August, unfortunately my boss had a conflict which resulted them being gone for a week or two but I was never informed of their return leaving me without a job since July. Therefore my experience was not great and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to students who are expecting to pay off school. Even though you are promised a certain salary, it is doubtful that you will receive it.
Pros
Job for the Summer
Cons
Long hours, hit or miss with management, weather conditions
'inconvenient, bad manager
Painter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 July 2018
The job itself can be fun. Or not. The manager I had was the sketchiest piece of garbage, who always got on your case for not doing something properly when you haven't received adequate training for it. She sat around and ordered you to do things while she just ate food.
Well managed and friendly workplace
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2018
The job was labor intensive but relatively simple. Most days were spent painting the outside of houses. The hardest part of the job was working outside in the summer painting for long days. The most enjoyable part was meeting the customers and interacting with them.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Weather permitting
Easy and fun work environment
Painter (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 April 2018
Got along with co-workers and boss easily. Great way to interact with good people around my age and a nice summer tan painting outdoors. Pay was nice, but the experience was the most memorable.
interesting
Painter (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 March 2018
if you do not have friends to do the job with you DO NOT DO THE JOB. you get underpaid for the amount of labour you put in, and the boss you work for rips you off majority of the time.
Not Worth It
Painter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
I worked at Student Works Painting for all of 2 weeks before being fired due to my "lack of enthusiasm towards painting." I'd argue it was because I wasn't getting paid my hours and I spoke up about it that my manager decided to let me go.
The job itself was long hours with barely any training beforehand and you were expected to work overtime with no pay if the job wasn't making good time.
Overall I do not recommend.
Pros
Sometimes my manager bought us lunch
Cons
Bad pay, no training, no overtime pay
hard
Painter (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC1 February 2018
my pay was always cut. piece rate isn't done right. times when i should be making money im not. sometimes dangerous when you have to go up a very long ladder with barely any experience
Terrible Management
PAINTER/Sales (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 January 2018
Completed the season in August and did not get my final pay cheque until October. Very unprofessional leadership and not an enjoyable job. Working outdoors for 8 hours at a time was difficult as well.
Pros
Time outdoors, great coworkers
Cons
Unprofessional management, disorganized
Waste of a Summer
Painter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick17 December 2017
Only worked half of the summer and had to get another student job due to a lack of jobs found by supervisor. Money was ok, but was basically minimum wage after unrealistic budgets weren't met.
Pros
Friendly environment at first.
Cons
Too many to list.
good experience not for everyone
Painter (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 November 2017
good work experience with good people to work with. Also having optimal hours to have a life outside work. But very labour intensive and you need to be ready to bear the heat in summer months.
Pros
optimal hours
Cons
labour intensive
It was okay
Painter (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON12 September 2017
I got to work with friends, indoors and outdoors and sometimes in my own community. Got to canvas a number of areas and experience the marketing aspect of the job.
the pay is not worth the work
Painter (Current Employee) –  Summerside, PE7 September 2017
the hours are long, with no benefits of any kind. the company underpays its employees. the work conditions are usually just fair. you must work long hours to see any kind of income.
Lots of hard work
Painter (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 July 2017
In doing this job, you have to be motivated, and be able to work well with people. It is a lot of hard work, and really tiring. It is an asset to have a car and not rely on public transportation.

You will need to being lots of water everyday, and be prepared to work at heights. Make sure to bring lots of sunblock, and a good lunch.

The worst part of the job is that you will being working long hours and you have to go door to door to try and make sales.
Pros
Tips, working outside, work with good people
Cons
Long hours, heat, laborious, door to door
Prepare for lost wages and a giant headache
Painter (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove9 June 2017
The first red flag was being told we would not get paid for the training we attended. I was promised one project a week and I did not hear from my boss until two weeks after training. No email or text responses. My online schedule revealed I was given 3 projects for the next month.

Student works pays a piece rate. This means that a project is expected to get completed in a set amount of hours. If you finish early or take longer than expected, the pay remains the same. This was not a problem for me because I am an experienced painter. After my first project I asked my boss how much I would be paid for it. I also took pictures of the documents he provided us, outlining the project. If you decide to work for student works document all that you can! This saved my butt.

After my first shift, our pay day was changed multiple times. Excuses included "I am going away for the long weekend, so I will pay you Monday" and "I forgot to submit the hours to head office". Finally, I contacted the labour board who encouraged me to file a report. As required, I notified my boss of this process.

After this, a second shift was cancelled with no notice. My boss did not email or contact me. I just never heard back from him even though his texts registered as read. Two days after his most recent "expected pay date", he told me I could pick up my paycheque and sent me to an address with nobody home. Then he continued to ignore emails and texts for two days.

Finally, I wrote an angry google review and heard from head office. My boss immediately met me and dropped off my paycheque which
  more... was short. Turns out, I had been paid out for the exact number of hours I had worked. I soon got a call from someone higher up in the company to follow up. When I explained my hours, I was told that I misunderstood piece work. By revealing my documents and explaining that I had submitted them to the labor board I was finally paid out for the whole project, my training, and the cancelled shifts.

Head office is very unprofessional and sleazy for lack of a better word. Many excuses were made for my boss during the phone calls with management. The response to the review online mentioned that "There is no need to resort to social media at the expense of Student Works and especially all the other student business owners close to you". Head office repeatedly exploits students by using them as a ethical token when at the end of the day, they can make less than 10% of a very expensive project.

Student works asked me more than once to removed my online review which I did not. I asked that they instead follow up with my coworkers and compensate for their loss wages. As of today, this has still not happened.

This is my experience. I am sure you could be lucky enough to get a good boss who pays you well. Remember to take a picture of all project documentation or you have no way to prove what they promised to pay you.
Pros
work with cool people
Cons
unprofessional, labour board disputes, inconsistent hours, bad head office
Fun Job- Unprofessional Management
Painter (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 May 2017
Getting hired as a painter at student works was a job unlike any I ever had.

I made awesome friendships with my crew, had a lot of fun meeting different families and people, enjoyed doing the jobs I was assigned, however the company itself focuses only on benefiting management.

I learned some valuable skills that I can use for hand-work jobs possibly, but if I could do it over again I would have picked a more professional company that benefits their labourers better.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Bad Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.