Student Works Employee Reviews for Owner Operator Driver

Fantastic Opportunity to Project Oneself into the Professoinal World
Owner/Operator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON26 March 2019
Student works has provided invaluable training on both personal and professional growth. It provided me with the opportunity to become financially stable while paying my way through school, all the while building unique resumé that will separate me from my from my graduating class.
Constant coaching is available through your district manager in during the preseason and over the summer. This company succeeds if you succeed! Thus, support is given every single step of the way.
The potential for growth in one year is astounding. However, it is on the individual to make it worth the while.
Pros
See below!
Cons
Extremely Hard Work
Very wonderful experience
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 February 2019
This past summer I had the pleasure to run my business in Montreal where I gained many important skills.
I also gained great managing skills, as I had hired many employees over the summer, trained them, and had them on the work site following a production schedule.
My organization skills were tested to the extremes, because if I were not ready for the day, it would only result in a customer or worker being upset with me, leading to a complaint or turnover. I ensured that I was always prepared for whatever job we had to complete, and because of this I have become more organized than I ever have been in my life.
With all of these great skills backing me up over the summer, I managed to operate a $32,000 painting business, and could not be more proud of myself.
Pros
Meet new amazing people, learn extremely useful skills, make $
Cons
Long hours, expect it to take a lot of your time
Opportunity unlike anything else
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2019
Student Works Painting is an incredible company to be working with. The company teaches core values and habits that is not only crucial for the success of the program, but also for your life after the program. Student Works has taught students the value of working hard, and what it truly takes to be a successful individual. The workplace culture is unlike any other workplace culture. Everyone in the company wishes nothing but success for each other and keeps each other very accountable to our ambitions.
Pros
Opportunity, potential for great financial success, amazing networking opportunities
Cons
N/a
Excellent workplace for hard workers!
Owner / Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2019
Student works painting is committed to creating a strong atmosphere with an emphasis on personal development. The program is extremely difficult and extremely rewarding. You will be putting in long, hard hours the way you would operating any business. Expectations are clearly laid out and guidance is provided to ensure you are on track to hit your goals.

Excellent experience overall, very challenging and very life changing. Not for people who are not interested in taking the next step in their life and work harder than they have every worked before.
Pros
life changing experience
Amazing work environment, Good hours/pay
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON4 February 2019
I've worked with Student Works for 2 years now. its an awesome work environment and well managed business. There is no problem getting hours and you're encouraged to work extra time if you please by most managers. If you strive for more responsibility, along with higher pay, there is always opportunity. I gained skills in marketing, customer relations, sales and of course painting. Definitely a worth while opportunity and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes results based pay. Very possible to make a lot more money than most jobs like this because you get paid more for working efficiently.
Pros
Results based pay, no shortage of hours, super fun environment
Cons
work some weekends, but only when absolutely necessary
Amazing Opportunity for Growth
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 January 2019
Through this program, I have learned how to sell a product, manage properly, and recruit effectively. My first year was one of the toughest experiences I have ever gone through and I came out of that year a changed person. I did, of course, return for my second year with significantly higher goals than the previous year and much more confidence. Learning how to run a business through Student Works will prepare you for any professional career more than maybe any other job could. I have gained invaluable experience, knowledge, and friendships through this program and I would not be the same without it. The network of immediate operators in the program and the extended network of amazingly successful alumni will both push you and pull you to becoming the best person that you can be. Because of what this program has done for them, you will find that this whole network is more than willing to volunteer their own time to help others in the program. Additionally, it will likely be one of the most fun summers of your life: Student Works' motto is "Work Hard, Play Hard".

There are of course negatives to the program, as there are in any positions, but to be completely honest if you are the right person for the position, they aren't negatives, it's actually something you'll be drawn to. These negatives are: you will work harder than you EVER have before, things will go wrong that will likely stress you out, and there is no guarantee of success, you have to work for it.

Ultimately, I would not be the same person without going through this program and my belief as to what is possible
  more... for my life would be a fraction of what it is today. If the negatives don't scare you and instead pull you forward, I would HIGHLY recommend this position.  less
Pros
Network, Good Training, Changed mindset, Good Atmosphere, Large Opportunities for Growth
Cons
Long hours, hard work, no guarantee of success
Great business exposure!
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  London North30 January 2019
For anyone interested in learning more in the field of business, student works is by far the best program you can get into. It equips you with skills such as recruiting, marketing, sales, production and many more. Unreal experience that i cant say enough about
Owner/Operator
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2019
An incredibly challenging position that teaches you a ton about being an entrepreneur. You learn a lot and have lots of autonomy. The management and support is quite extensive and they provide pretty intensive training. Long days, you certainly have to be willing to work.
Pros
Great pay, lots of learning, autonomy, unique experience, amazing culture.
Cons
It’s a lot of work, you have to be ready to put in the hours over the summer and manage your time well.
Great program that nourishes personal development and provides a high income
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Haliburton, ON30 January 2019
Lots of opportunity for advancement in the company. Many opportunities for pay raises and overall a fun and supportive environment! Managers are very receptive to feedback and try their best to make your experience as great as it can be!
Pros
Operator events, networking, encouraging and supportive environment
Cons
Can have long hours
Best work experience for an entrepreneurial student
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON29 January 2019
Student Works Painting gave me the ultimate challenge while in University. I gained so many unbelievable skills that have been used several times since owning my own painting business. I learned how to manage every aspect of a business which has been invaluable to me.
I met some of my best friends by being a part of this company and I even met amazing people through the clients that I did work for, which was unexpected.
I would recommend Student Works Painting to anybody who has an interest in business and wants to eventually be involved in what the business world has to offer.
Pros
Networking events, great company culture, life long relationships, results oriented compensation
Cons
Long hours, challenging job for a full time student to manage
Best experience of my life
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 October 2018
Student Works Painting gives you all the tools to run a smooth and profitable business. They give you daily coaching and support whenever you need it.

You get to work on all the aspects required to run a business. You get to do some sales, marketing, human resources, project management and administrative work. You get to develop excellent time-management and customer service skills.

The culture is also like nowhere other. There are events prepared every two weeks so you can meet some of the most ambitious students across Eastern Canada. The networking is key!
Most Valuable Summer of my Life
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Outaouais, QC28 August 2018
I worked as a painter and an operator for 3 years and learned more from this program than I did in business school. This is real-life tangible work experience that permits young university students to utilize the business skills they have learned at Student Works in various aspects of the career and life. Not to mention the great company culture! I would recommend this position to anyone that is looking to challenge themselves and actually obtain real-life business experience as opposed to memorizing textbooks. Work hard in this program and you will see results!
Pros
Above-average compensation, high reward & satisfaction.
Cons
Long hours (if you leave everything to the last minute--up to you!!)
Great for people that are willing to work hard
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 August 2018
working with student works is an amazing experience and im so thrilled I took it on. The skills that you learn through this company are invaluable and will benefit you greatly throughout your entire life, no matter what path you decide to take. Your network will grow exponentially as there are so many great people that join the company who all have a very similar mindset to you, and they all know how to have a good time!
If you are willing to work the hardest you've ever worked before, grow yourself as an individual and business person, and make some fat stacks, I would definitely recommend this opportunity.
Pros
meet lots of great people, make lots of cash!
Cons
need to be willing to work reeaaaally hard
Amazing opportunity to run your own business
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 August 2018
Working with Student Works Painting has been an amazing experience as I got to run my first business successfully thanks to the tremendous suport and ongoing coaching. I learnt many important life skills throughout the experience as well.
Pros
Run your own business at a young age, constant coaching and support, established base for first business, work hard play hard!
Cons
Long days and large commitment (hard work pays off)
Amazing opportunity for hardworking students!
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 July 2018
I was the owner operator of a student works painting business for the past 3 summers. It really has been a life changing journey for me to go through the program. They taught me everything I needed to know to run my own business for the first time and gave me ongoing support and coaching throughout the 3 years.

This is a company focused on the personal development of its operators, which is probably my favourite part of the company. When you work hard, there is also unmatched earning potential for students.
Pros
Really great earning potential - which is directly tied to how hard you work, so you really earn what you're worth, A lot of autonomy because you're your own boss, Amazing company culture with other ambitious hardworking students, Learn how to run your own business with 1-on-1 coaching with experienced mentors
Cons
Long days, a lot of dedication to the business
Great experience, had a blast
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2018
Student Works gives great experience in leading a team, developing a business plan, marketing, and ensuring that you can make some good money along the way.
Its a good opportunity to learn, but you really have to commit.
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2018
This job taught me a lot, but it almost made the year i spent working it a living h*ll. I made almost no profit and hated the process. My DM didn't seem to care a whole lot either.
Great Summer Internship Opportunity
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE21 November 2017
Student Works Painting and Window Cleaning offers as a great summer internship for students who have the ambition and the dedication to put their all into the business that they are building. The company culture is great with many individual high achievers aiming to raise the bar and defy expectations o what a student-run business is capable of.

Overall working with them was great and I would highly recommend to any student looking for a challenging work experience with great rewards.
Pros
Entrepreneurial Experience
Challenging experience with many learning opportunities
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 October 2017
Building a business for the summer through Student Works Painting becomes a very satisfying experience after long hours of hard work juggling marketing, hiring, sales and employee/production management. At the end of the summer, I gained important insight about my capabilities, my improvements and how to incorporate what I learned into my future endeavours.
Hard but satisfying job
Owner / Operator of Burlington West (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 September 2017
They don't lie when they say that this will be the hardest thing you have ever done. It is stressful at the best of times and almost intolerable at the worst. However, at the end of the summer, looking back and realizing what you accomplished is better than anything you suffered for it. The district managers are there to hold your hand or kick you in the butt depending which one you need most and it makes it more manageable. Early mornings and late nights are expected and congratulated, but the parties are fast and furious.

Work hard, play harder.
Pros
great events
Cons
long hours, you pay for everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.