Student Works Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

poor management
WINDOW CLEANING, STUDENT WORKS (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2019
poor and unfair management, underpaid and not respected. When i tried calling a superior at the company i was told that there was no one to help me and i was forced to quit.
Owner/Operator
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2019
An incredibly challenging position that teaches you a ton about being an entrepreneur. You learn a lot and have lots of autonomy. The management and support is quite extensive and they provide pretty intensive training. Long days, you certainly have to be willing to work.
Pros
Great pay, lots of learning, autonomy, unique experience, amazing culture.
Cons
It’s a lot of work, you have to be ready to put in the hours over the summer and manage your time well.
I didn't get paid even close to hours worked.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa6 November 2018
The underquoted the jobs in such an unnatainable way - meaning any additional hours worked went unpaid. Quoted hours: 7, actual hours: 25.
The manager I had was actually lovely which is why I stayed for the month and a half I did, however everything other than that was awful and she knew it as well. Outdoor painters got all but neglected working at this company.
Great time
Manager, Window and Eaves Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 April 2018
Very good environment to learn how to run a business, great staff and you meet great individual every day. Bad job for lazy people. Learn a lot of life lessons.
Not enough work
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 September 2015
When I was hired to work for Student Works Painting, I was promised much more work than I received. I was also promised an increase in pay over the summer which I also never received. However, it did give me the skills to be able to take on painting jobs on my own.
Pros
Good skill building experience
Cons
Not enough work
Poor Managemant
Painter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 June 2014
Worked for a week until I was unexpectedly laid off. Was confused as I believed my work was getting better and although I had little experience I felt getting better but my owner/operator believed otherwise. At the job site my operator even told me many times how well I was doing and I didn't disrespect him or the client or my coworkers at any time. When I was laid off he also didn't give me any examples of where he saw I wouldn't be good in the job and even said to try other painting companies. The whole thing seemed fishy and now myself and my family and friends will never use student works ever and as I was disrespected and definitely treated unfairly.
Pros
Painting was fun
Cons
The Owner/Operator
Enjoyable environment
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 October 2012
It was a enjoyable job with a lot of friendly, hardworking co-workers.