Student Works Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Long hours, unreliable pay, not enough training
Marketer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2019
Management was often disorganized and had an unrealistically tight schedule. The pay was "incentive-based piece work" so if you are behind schedule you are essentially working for free.
Fun and stimulating work environment focused on quality of work
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
Student Works is a great company providing students with secure summer job opportunities while they are out of school. The workplace was always accepting and encouraged employees to teach each other and learn to be the best painters they could be. The employees and managers were always respectful and communicative, and every job was completed on time or sooner, and always met the clients expectation of quality. The pay rate was dictated by the speed of work completion. You are paid per job, not by the hour, so the harder and faster you work, the more you will make. However, every completed project is inspected by every painter, the site manager, and the client before being approved as being completed.
Pros
Fun work environment and the ability to dictate how much you make by how hard you work
Cons
Weather dependent (i.e. cannot work in the rain, therefore cannot finish work for pay)
assisted in alleviating my social anxiety and helped improve my teamwork skills
Marketer/painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2016
spent most of the time in marketing going door to door, worked mostly on my own but soon got a chance to work with a team, unfortunately i was unable to continue due to medial issues at the time, but it wasn't to bad of a job
Pros
social interaction, biweekly pay, tools of the trade provided.
Cons
long hours, depending on where you live travel can be a hassle, some negative customers
Fun job to have for those wanting to make money over the summer.
Door to Door Salesman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2016
I didn't mind this job because it allowed me to gain experience as a door to door marketer, encouraging me to build on my social skills and confidence with speaking. Allowed me to take control of a situation and deal with it according to me.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Inconvenience for those without a car
Long hours of under paid labour
Painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2013
This was a rough summer to find seasonal jobs so painting was the first opportunity and I took it. It was poorly run but with good intentions. I learned a lot about people and how to deal with clashing personalities.

A typical day would start at eight and end whenever we finished or when the owner of the house asked we be out. After that we'd do an hour or two of (unpaid) cold calling while our boss did estimates which were hideously inaccurate.

The job was very dangerous with lots of ladders that were over 30ft high and were hardly ever tied off to anything. I received little to no training and learned most technique on my own.

I did however like that I got to be moving all day and sometimes got to work alone.
Pros
physical labour, good work out
Cons
underpaid, and dangerous