Student Works
Happiness score is 75 out of 100

Student Works Employee Reviews

It is a decent summer job, and I have to say the person I worked under was the most amazing boss I could ever have. Although, you are not paid as much and you aren’t guaranteed a 8 hour day unless it truly takes you that long to get the job done. Any mistakes will come out of your paycheck, so keep that in mind. I think that is fair but some may not. I do find you do much more work that you get paid for, but overall if I finished a job sooner than quoted, I did have much more time in my day for other things.
Pros
Learn a new skill, interesting work
Cons
Pay is not great
Do not work here. Terrible and unsupportive management team. At the end you get paid less than minimum wage. Company takes out all these expenses that they never discuss. Company is a scam and uses students. Don’t work with them or use their services.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, underpaid, lack of support
Being an Owner/Operator with the Student Works Management Program is the best opportunity to develop hands-on business experience before you graduate. As a Manager, you learn to develop a marketing plan for your small business, you learn to sell to customers and close deals, you learn how to attract and recruit a team of fellow students and you learn the complexities of project management. When you walk away from the experience, whether you do it for one summer or for multiple summers, you will have been challenged and you will grow significantly from the experience.
Pros
Best opportunity to learn how to become a manager and successful entrepreneur, Amazing culture and company values
Cons
Being an Operator with Student Works like any instance of being an entrepreneur is hard work
Worked many unpaid hours, many unpaid door to door flyer advertising. And when I decided to leave the 4 person team halfway throughout the summer I wasnt paid for the final 2 weeks of my work, which was around $800. The hours are long but go by quickly and most of the budgets are unnatainable at least for everyone I worked with.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Exausting, and Terrible money management
Working with Student Works was an unforgettable experience, from the people you meet to the value of the lesson you continue to learn every day. Student Works has really set me up for the best future possible.
During my time with Student Works, I learned skills that will be useful in many aspects of my life and that applies to any career I might do after this. The select group of people that are part of this company create a great work atmosphere where people work hard and play hard and everyone is always happy to help.
Student Works is a great place to start on your path to entrepreneurship. Not only do you acquire business skills needed to succeed in the summer, you gain invaluable interpersonal and soft skills throughout the year and you will finish the summer as a completely different individual than when you started. While 2020 has been a write off for a lot of people I can safely say that it has been the best year of my life financially, personally and in terms of school. This was all possible due to the support and systems set in place at Student Works and the direct coaching you receive from your DM. It’s not for everyone however, your results depend heavily on how hard you are willing to work and push yourself. It is not like any other summer job out there and if you think you have the work ethic and drive to run your own business and want to learn skills that will set you up for success in the future I would definitely recommend applying.
Pros
Make your own Schedule, Work/Life Balance
Cannot reccomend the Student Works Management Program enough! For any students that are looking to test out the business world, student Works is an amazing place to start. They have developed systems to aid you in sales, marketing, recruiting and painting itself. They truly care about your success and work with you everyday to achieve your goals! The benefits of this company are endless and I have even found some of my best friends through this company, this past summer was all I could have asked for and more
Pros
Good Money, Learned tons
Cons
Extremely long days to start the summer
Working as a manager with Student Works I've been surrounded by countless other motivated students all working together at similar goals in running their businesses. The role has given me such a clear sense of purpose and given me skills that are transferable to any career I pursue within business after I graduate from school. Not only the technical skills of running a business but also the character development it takes to work within teams. I have a hard time picturing any other summer position while in University that would have given me as big of a headstart as Student Works has.
I have been an Owner/Operator with Student Works for two consecutive summers now in Thornhill, Ontario and it has has hands down been the best and hardest two summers of my life. Going into my first year of university I had never had a job prior so when I heard about the opportunity I wasn't sure if I'd cut it or even be given an offer. Looking back now at the person I was when I was applying is a completely different person than I am now. Thanks to Student Works I have learned so many valuable soft and hard skills that I will able to take with me in my future career as well as personal life. The company not only invests so much money to train you and help you succeed but you're also grouped up with other students running a business as well. You're all given amazing one-on-one mentorship by an awesome business coach who has been with the company for many years. Throughout the summer there are also planned events where all the operators and business coaches meet up and have an a great time. This job isn't easy at all and takes many hours in the Winter and Spring to be able run a successful business in the summer, but its all worth it when you make the amount of money equivalent to the hours you put in plus more. Also, the other students you will meet in the company are all amazing and hardworking individuals that will push you to be better constantly. I couldn't recommend Student Works more!!
Pros
You get to pick who you work with, amazing mentors/coaches, awesome company culture, great benefits and incentives throughout summer
Cons
Long Hours, 4-6 months of hard work before you make any money, start up cost
Working for Student Works this summer was a unique and incredibly rewarding experience. After a detailed training day, I translated seamlessly into full time work, gaining skill and efficiency within the first few days. If you work hard and strive to improve, the benefits are immense! Another benefit of the Student Works program is the relationships you develop. My operator created a fun and enjoyable workplace for my colleagues and I over the summer. and made the job enjoyable throughout.Overall, Student Works has helped me develop my Marketing, People, and Time Management skills in only a short few months.
Pros
Develop skills, Benefit from your good work ethic.
Cons
Tedious if you are unwilling to work hard.
Working as a owner/operator for Student Works will be the most rewarding, challenging and life changing experience as a student. I just finished my first year as an operator for Student Works and without a doubt signed back for my second year as an operator in Ottawa. The past year with Student Works was the most rewarding experience I could have ever asked for. The skills you will learn related to sales, management, customer relations, and time management will carry with you for the rest of your life and will advance your overall skills in life. Being in complete control of your schedule and business with the support of the most knowledgeable coaches guarantees your success if you are willing to put in the hard work. This is a job where you get out what you put in - I highly recommend to anyone looking to take charge of their lives and get outside of their comfort zone. Student Works also provides an amazing network of likeminded people with fun events and you are guaranteed to have fun while working. The workplace culture is so positive and will help you succeed by having many people to connect with, ask questions, or get some inspiration!The hardest part of this job is changing your mindset and time management. Student Works provides you with the coaching and support to take charge of these challenges. The best part of this job is being in control of your own business, schedule and success - along with the amazing network you will have access to after this experience!If you're looking to take the next step in your management experience and life - I highly highly - more...
Pros
Fun events, great networking opportunities, flexible
As an operator for the management program, I've never learned so much in such a short period of time. Sales, leadership, customer service, marketing, and time management are some of the crucial soft skills you learn while being in the program. The culture within the company is amazing. Being surrounded by like-minded people and going to events (pre-covid of course) that help you relax and have an amazing summer. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing great quality work and having satisfied clients. The hardest part is being disciplined enough to set your business up for success, which should be expected. Nothing good comes easy.
Pros
Flexible schedule, non-stop learning opportunities, opportunities for advancement
Cons
No guarantee of success
This company will push you to your limits, in a good way! It gives you the freedom to be in charge of your life while giving you all the tools you need to succeed as a business owner, while always striving for you to push harder and brake barriers. Not only will you learn more than you would ever imagine running your business, you will be surrounded by hundreds of students who have the same mindset as you and are all there to support each other. The community is amazing, this company is one big family. This has been by far the greatest experience I've had so far.
Pros
Results based
Cons
Massive workload
Student Works gives students a heavy workload and high levels of responsibility and accountability as they operate their own businesses. Let me be clear: this is not a job for people looking for a 9-5, or people looking to have a casual part-time work experience. The workload is intense, and as a result, the rewards are intense. In an owner/operator position, you will receive training and real world experience in many fields that you peers will not. You will learn and execute sales tactics, marketing strategies, interviews and management of your own team of employees; all of which is invaluable experience that you cannot find at any other "student" job. The company culture is great with a heavy focus on being accountable and having fun after working hard. All managers are always open to providing coaching and they are available on-call 24/7 to answer any questions or help you through difficult situations/conversations. This job perfectly sets you up for a transition from university to either entrepreneurship or higher-level management positions at companies after graduation. Your earnings are all profit-based. As a result, what you earn is based off of the effort you put into your business. If you work hard, you will make great money at this job. It has helped many students to pay all school expenses and allowed some to invest in properties or other businesses to set them up for a career after university.
Pros
Experience, responsibilities, culture, income
Cons
Heavy workload
As a bright-eyed first year University student with high ambitions for myself and my future, I found myself attracted to this position and everything it had to offer from the very beginning. After completing a very succesful first season I now have a very different outlook on success and achievements. In life you are rewarded for your input, nothing more, nothing less. Success as an operator is no different. There are very advanced systems at work, very educated leadership and senior management, a step-by-step guide to create and achieve a goal. Everything you need to succeed is at your fingertips and many do not. But, why? Because success is directly obtained through the personal desire to learn and take action on the systems in place. When I dove deeper into the season I learned that everything that happened to my business was a direct reflection of myself and my actions. The terrible sales weeks, losing employees, client issues, failed projects, all of this was directly related to my personal integrity, actions and attitude towards my business. When I achieved incredible sales weeks, an amazing work-place environment with employees who love and enjoy what they do, very pleased clients whom went on to refer me to friends and family, and immaculate projects which became the talk of the town, none of this was different from the previous scenario. These events were simply the result of my personal integrity and actions toward my business. The choice is yours to make.
Pros
Real-Life Workability Practices, Advanced Selling, Leadership, Management
I worked this summer with no previous painting experience. I learned a lot about painting and really enjoyed the management and people I worked with; however, the time goals given for each job are often tight which means you have to constantly be moving at 100% to meet or barely surpass the budget. Overall, you will most likely work more hours than you get paid. If you’re doing a job for the money then I would go somewhere else.
Pros
Flexible hours, great people to work with
Cons
Pay days and sometimes bad clients
- expected to run a painting business with close to no training.-most operators put thousands of dollars into their 'business', just to walk away with nothing.- over expecting of FULL TIME COLLEGE/ UNIVERSITY students.- expect students to put this job before their education.- PYRAMID SCHEME.- they will "TRY" to take your money if you quit.- i'm out of integrity right now.
Pros
-teaches relatively useful business skills.
Cons
Long Hours
Student works will take anyone with the right potential in their business without taking into consideration the grades, age, race, religion, etc. The company is great to start with if you are passionate by management or business.
Pros
No limits, hardworking culture
Cons
Big royalty
This was my first year operating with Student Works and I would recommend it to everyone. Throughout the program you will gain so many new skills that you will use for the rest of your life. Not only that, but the Student Works community is amazing, we are all there to support each other, no competing.
Pros
Skills
Cons
Hard Work
The Student Works Management Program provides students of all faculties with the opportunity to achieve unparalleled experience running their own business, prior to graduating from university.
Pros
independence, financial security, low risk/ high reward, supportive environment
  1. Employee reviews