Student Works

Insights into Student Works

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Fun workplace for students

Mileage will vary depending on your operator but mine was the best boss I ever had and it was a lot of fun. Biggest downside is you work through weekends rain cancels bookings during the week.

Pros

outside, fun

Cons

inconsistent schedule

Great Concept bad owner

A great overall job with a great concept just less the preferred execution. Co-workers were great and customers were always pleasant to work for. Just terrible ownership got in the way.

No help

COVID had us working in teams of 2 instead of the regular 4-5 so I guess that had something to do with my problems.You really just learn as you go, there’s no real training. We “trained” for two days by painting the guy’s basement and room while our first two jobs included removing wallpaper and painting outdoor windows using a ladder on unsafe ground.My partner and I basically worked alone for 10+ hours a day. Our owner operator would set us up and leave for the whole day, this started on day one. These jobs were definitely not meant for two people but he’d constantly tell us we were taking too long without stopping to help.Pay could’ve been good but it depended on how long you took and as I said there was too much to do.

Awful

I worked for the Pickering/Ajax location during the summer and it was the worst job experience I've ever had. First day the manager showed up in flip flops and taught us how to stain a fence for an hour then left the job site. Second day the manager "taught" us how to sand for 5 minutes, without supervising us the first time we actually used the sander and company didn't provide safety goggles or gloves. In total, I worked 5 days and was left alone 80% of the time, without being fully trained. Fellow co-workers were over worked and were not justly compensated for all the intense work/tight deadlines. Once I finally quit, trying to get paid for the 5 days I worked was horrendous! Took a month to get paid and that was after almost begging the manager to pay me. Overall awful experience working here

Can be good money, but you need to make it your entire life

I spend a summer running a student works franchise, and it can be good money, and they don't lie to you about anything, but it requires an IMMENSE amount of work to run a successful franchise, and it will likely only be making decent money if you do it for a couple of years at least. I know guys who did it for 3+ years and make tons of money nowadays, but it's an absolute ton of work and your work-life balance is nonexistent.

Fun workplace

Fun workplace when you are with the right crew, can get stressful at times. Pay depends on how fast you go while still producing high quality finished products.

Okay

Okay company to work for during the summer as a student, you will make okay money but be punished hard with the working conditions if you are not used to it.

Very toxic work culture with a Pyramid scheme.

I highly do not recommend it. Young students are exploited and taken advantage of. I used to work for 80 hours every week during the summer and did not get paid for most of my work.

Pros

Cons

toxic work culture/ student exploitation

Not bad place to work

good job for students to make some money in summer ! It was fun place to work but if you want to have more income then you need to be a leader in the team

Pros

fun environment

Cons

minimum wage

Good Place to Work Depending on Operator

Great place to start working. Good advancement opportunity. Depends who the Operator is. Make sure training is paid/you get compensated hourly. Be ready to work hard, track your pay.

Pros

Advancement, culture

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Student Works?

The Job Quality Is Entirely Dependent On Your Operator

I've seen a lot of complaints about the intense workload and long hours, although I find that true you'll find it MUCH more endurable when you have a great operator, which I was fortunate to have. In the peak of the summer, I was working 9-10 hours a day 5 days a week which was grueling and left me with very little time for myself.The people working there are all chill young students (like myself) 18-22. I actually was able to make some cool friends and have great memories of chatting during lunch with them.Your pay is entirely dependant on how generously (or not so) your operater estimates projects, since its piece rate. You'll get paid more when you work faster.

Pros

flexible(ish) work hours, work at your own pace, outdoors, end of summer bonus

Cons

long hours, unpredictable weather, inconsistent work locations

Amazing opportunity to challenge yourself and grow as a leader.

Student Works is a challenging but very rewarding experience. There is no better place to hone your business, leadership, and management skills while in school. The culture created here is second to none and creates an environment that is equally cooperative and competitive. If you follow the systems and accept the coaching, you are very likely to excel and gain tremendous value while reaping the rewards. I would recommend Student Works to anyone who wants to get ahead and seeks to develop their leadership, business, and project management skills.

Pros

Amazing Network

Cons

Learned more about business here, than in my four years at school!

Excellent place to learn and get experience on how to run a business. Being a business owner at the Student Works Management Program gives you a glimpse of entrepreneurship by allowing you to make your own schedule, see the results of your own effort, and gain the experience to run a business with the safety of the systems of the franchise, a business coach, and a great company culture to allow you to be successful in your first business. 10/10 would and have recommended to all my friends!

Supportive and motivating environment

Overall working at Student Works helped me manage my time better and improve my communication with clients and with my peers. Super supportive of students and the local community.

Pros

Commission pay and TIPS!

Cons

Working outdoors

Amazing company to skyrocket my successful future

This company has totally changed my views in life and motivated me to take on many more challenges and work hard to get paid for what I'm worth.I have been working with student works in the past 3 years and have met hundreds of amazing students who all really want to create something great for themselves, this gave me the confidence to tackle huge challenges in my life and trusting my circle to support me and help me reach my goals.

Pros

Culture, Energy

Cons

Long hours, Very demanding work

Good summer work

Student works Is s good place for student summer work, management can be disorganized, although it is easy to advance to management. If you enjoy working outside and you are okay with heights, student works might be for you.

Great team environment

The culture at student works cannot be matched. It is a family that always supports one another. Student works wants everyone involved to grow, improve and gain value in their business.

Awesome experience

This experience is what you make of it. You have to put in the work to grow and reap the benefits. It is up to you what size and type of business you run as the pay is performance-based. The skills you learn are invaluable and the collaboration and support from student works, coaches and other operators was what I enjoyed the most.

Great for people who want to work hard

When I first came across Student Works, I was skeptical of how the organization would enable me, a kid with no real world experience, to run a profitable business. After my first summer in the program I am shocked by how much they have helped me accomplish. The coaching and support structures in place are well thought out and make you feel valued. I have never been part of such a motivated and supportive community. Since they have been around for 40+ years, Student Works has continuously narrowed down how to operate at the highest level. Operators are pointed in the right direction with the guidance needed for success, the rest is up to them. If you work hard and don't take shortcuts, you can have a very successful summer here.It is also nice to be a part of a company that focuses on rewarding results. There are many events hosted to keep morale up and financial rewards for better performance.I would recommend this experience to someone who is looking for a real challenge. I have learned more in the last six months, about myself, others, and how to find success, than I ever would have imagined. This is not a program for everyone. If you prefer to spend all summer partying, binge-watching shows, and are satisfied with a consistently low paycheque, this is not something for you. You will only see a positive outcome if you put in a lot of effort and push through, what seem like, some of the greatest challenges you have faced so far. I feel very grateful for the opportunity Student Works gave me this summer.

Pros

Great culture, supportive environment, lots of responsibility, autonomy

Cons

Can be stressful, can get stuck "in a rut"

Great Opportunity

Student Works offered me a huge opportunity in my first year of university, running a business at the age of 18! It's crazy what I was able to learn in just a matter of 2 years, giving me experience in almost all works of life and helping me develop into more than just a better businessman, but a better person. They taught me skills such as marketing, recruiting, selling, and honestly so much that I cant cover in such a small review like this. Student Works is definitely something that I would recommend to all my peers as it will give you a headstart into the real world. Not to mention you make good money as well haha!

Pros

Experience, Netorking, Social Events

Cons

Hard work

Great Environment with lots of opportunity to learn and develop new skills

Student works provided a friendly, comforting, and supportive group of individuals who are always willing to assist you in any way you need. Student Works provides the best coaching in order to ensure that we are operating at the highest level.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement