Student Works Employee Reviews

Long hours, unreliable pay, not enough training
Marketer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2019
Management was often disorganized and had an unrealistically tight schedule. The pay was "incentive-based piece work" so if you are behind schedule you are essentially working for free.
Fun
Home Painting Marketer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 April 2019
flexible hours and few deadlines. Your success depends entirely on how much you are willing and able to do. A good opportunity to experience how running a business is like.
Fantastic Opportunity to Project Oneself into the Professoinal World
Owner/Operator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON26 March 2019
Student works has provided invaluable training on both personal and professional growth. It provided me with the opportunity to become financially stable while paying my way through school, all the while building unique resumé that will separate me from my from my graduating class.
Constant coaching is available through your district manager in during the preseason and over the summer. This company succeeds if you succeed! Thus, support is given every single step of the way.
The potential for growth in one year is astounding. However, it is on the individual to make it worth the while.
Pros
See below!
Cons
Extremely Hard Work
Very wonderful experience
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 February 2019
This past summer I had the pleasure to run my business in Montreal where I gained many important skills.
I also gained great managing skills, as I had hired many employees over the summer, trained them, and had them on the work site following a production schedule.
My organization skills were tested to the extremes, because if I were not ready for the day, it would only result in a customer or worker being upset with me, leading to a complaint or turnover. I ensured that I was always prepared for whatever job we had to complete, and because of this I have become more organized than I ever have been in my life.
With all of these great skills backing me up over the summer, I managed to operate a $32,000 painting business, and could not be more proud of myself.
Pros
Meet new amazing people, learn extremely useful skills, make $
Cons
Long hours, expect it to take a lot of your time
poor management
WINDOW CLEANING, STUDENT WORKS (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2019
poor and unfair management, underpaid and not respected. When i tried calling a superior at the company i was told that there was no one to help me and i was forced to quit.
High intensity and rewarding workplace
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 February 2019
This past summer I had the pleasure to run my business in Hamilton where I gained many important skills. I received excellent experience handling clients; whether it be a complaint or question, I was always able to come to a resolution and ensure they are fully satisfied.
With all of these great skills backing me up over the summer, I managed to operate a $65,000 painting business, and could not be more proud of myself.
Opportunity unlike anything else
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2019
Student Works Painting is an incredible company to be working with. The company teaches core values and habits that is not only crucial for the success of the program, but also for your life after the program. Student Works has taught students the value of working hard, and what it truly takes to be a successful individual. The workplace culture is unlike any other workplace culture. Everyone in the company wishes nothing but success for each other and keeps each other very accountable to our ambitions.
Pros
Opportunity, potential for great financial success, amazing networking opportunities
Cons
N/a
Excellent workplace for hard workers!
Owner / Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2019
Student works painting is committed to creating a strong atmosphere with an emphasis on personal development. The program is extremely difficult and extremely rewarding. You will be putting in long, hard hours the way you would operating any business. Expectations are clearly laid out and guidance is provided to ensure you are on track to hit your goals.

Excellent experience overall, very challenging and very life changing. Not for people who are not interested in taking the next step in their life and work harder than they have every worked before.
Pros
life changing experience
Unreal experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON6 February 2019
Was able to take leadership within this job and my boss was very fair and diligent. I worked with one other team member doing various home maintenance projects for awesome clients throughout the summer. Great experience.
Pros
Ability to make more money when becoming more efficient
Cons
No weekend work
huge resume booster, loved every minute of running my own business
Painter (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON4 February 2019
Had a great summer painting with my friends, my boss was a great guy and had work for us all summer long. I built some great relationships with fellow painters, the pay was great as well! Worth all the hard work
Pros
Good pay, great people
Cons
Hard work, long hours
Amazing work environment, Good hours/pay
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON4 February 2019
I've worked with Student Works for 2 years now. its an awesome work environment and well managed business. There is no problem getting hours and you're encouraged to work extra time if you please by most managers. If you strive for more responsibility, along with higher pay, there is always opportunity. I gained skills in marketing, customer relations, sales and of course painting. Definitely a worth while opportunity and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes results based pay. Very possible to make a lot more money than most jobs like this because you get paid more for working efficiently.
Pros
Results based pay, no shortage of hours, super fun environment
Cons
work some weekends, but only when absolutely necessary
Work Hard Play Hard
Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 January 2019
Do not expect a 9 to 5 job.
They teach you how to run a proper business.
All you got to do is: JUST DO IT.
They tell want to expect.
They really follow the Work Hard Play Hard model.
Amazing Opportunity for Growth
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 January 2019
Through this program, I have learned how to sell a product, manage properly, and recruit effectively. My first year was one of the toughest experiences I have ever gone through and I came out of that year a changed person. I did, of course, return for my second year with significantly higher goals than the previous year and much more confidence. Learning how to run a business through Student Works will prepare you for any professional career more than maybe any other job could. I have gained invaluable experience, knowledge, and friendships through this program and I would not be the same without it. The network of immediate operators in the program and the extended network of amazingly successful alumni will both push you and pull you to becoming the best person that you can be. Because of what this program has done for them, you will find that this whole network is more than willing to volunteer their own time to help others in the program. Additionally, it will likely be one of the most fun summers of your life: Student Works' motto is "Work Hard, Play Hard".

There are of course negatives to the program, as there are in any positions, but to be completely honest if you are the right person for the position, they aren't negatives, it's actually something you'll be drawn to. These negatives are: you will work harder than you EVER have before, things will go wrong that will likely stress you out, and there is no guarantee of success, you have to work for it.

Ultimately, I would not be the same person without going through this program and my belief as to what is possible
  more... for my life would be a fraction of what it is today. If the negatives don't scare you and instead pull you forward, I would HIGHLY recommend this position.  less
Pros
Network, Good Training, Changed mindset, Good Atmosphere, Large Opportunities for Growth
Cons
Long hours, hard work, no guarantee of success
Great business exposure!
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  London North30 January 2019
For anyone interested in learning more in the field of business, student works is by far the best program you can get into. It equips you with skills such as recruiting, marketing, sales, production and many more. Unreal experience that i cant say enough about
Best work environment for personal growth
Division Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 January 2019
The culture within the company cannot be replicated. Working at Student Works has been the best 2+ years of my life. I was able to manage my own division of the company. This gives me a lot of control and flexibility over my work experience. A position as a division manager is super rewarding. I have learned and earned much more than the vast majority of my friends outside of the company. Upper management is also very active and engaging and genuinely care about growing managers as individuals.
Owner/Operator
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2019
An incredibly challenging position that teaches you a ton about being an entrepreneur. You learn a lot and have lots of autonomy. The management and support is quite extensive and they provide pretty intensive training. Long days, you certainly have to be willing to work.
Pros
Great pay, lots of learning, autonomy, unique experience, amazing culture.
Cons
It’s a lot of work, you have to be ready to put in the hours over the summer and manage your time well.
Flexible, good paying summer job
Painter, Crew Chief, Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON30 January 2019
Working out doors, doing physical labour, working with similar aged/minded peers, since it's piece work you can make as much as your willing to work. Plenty of opportunity
Pros
Piece work
Great program that nourishes personal development and provides a high income
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Haliburton, ON30 January 2019
Lots of opportunity for advancement in the company. Many opportunities for pay raises and overall a fun and supportive environment! Managers are very receptive to feedback and try their best to make your experience as great as it can be!
Pros
Operator events, networking, encouraging and supportive environment
Cons
Can have long hours
Empowering Organization
Manager/Painter (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON30 January 2019
My problem solving and conflict management skills were forced to evolve. A typical day began in arriving at the job site in the morning, walking through the project with the client. We then planned out the most effective way to tackle the job, prepared paint and tools and went at it, tracking our progress with prepared production planners. Upon completion, we were to ensure the client was satisfied with all aspects of the job, collect the cheque for the final payment, clean up and head out. Company culture is fantastic, with everybody enrolled in excellence and hard work. Furthermore, there is plenty of room for upward mobility depending on how much responsibility you're willing to take on for the business. Overall, it is an incredible organization for learning valuable skills and testing your limits
Pros
Occasionally rewarded with drinks and coffee for good work
Cons
Can't think of any
Best work experience for an entrepreneurial student
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON29 January 2019
Student Works Painting gave me the ultimate challenge while in University. I gained so many unbelievable skills that have been used several times since owning my own painting business. I learned how to manage every aspect of a business which has been invaluable to me.
I met some of my best friends by being a part of this company and I even met amazing people through the clients that I did work for, which was unexpected.
I would recommend Student Works Painting to anybody who has an interest in business and wants to eventually be involved in what the business world has to offer.
Pros
Networking events, great company culture, life long relationships, results oriented compensation
Cons
Long hours, challenging job for a full time student to manage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Works. Our community is ready to answer.