Stuart Olson Employee Reviews

Not Fun.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 April 2018
The upper management are not involved at all with what happens on site, and they expect miracles to happen. Although they will be notified of the consequences, but they choose to ignore many issues.
Fun Workplace. Upper management needs work. Wages are low.
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2018
A lot more responsibilities outside actual job scope for the same money agreed upon hire date.
Management are not organized and shady.
Workplace culture was great and was fun to go to work.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with head office and management.
Advancement oportunities
Carpenter/Carpenter Foreman/Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
Great culture and adherence to company policies and procedures, work crews were treated fair and efforts were made to rectify any crew issues. Great work life balance.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Pay periods
Fun place to work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2018
Very fun place to work with fun people. The work life balance is something that they take very seriously and that made work even more enjoyable. I would recommend this company.
Community orintated company
Accounts Payable Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2018
Diversified abilities required to complete the many duties, making it always challenging. Changing technologies make for an interesting work environment.
working with a great team
TARGET SHOTS AND STRINGERS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
looking for work in construction
cribbing
construction all tickets fall protection
cst
confined space
flagging
framing
patchwork
endurance form work
Pros
team work
Cons
never finished on time
Good Experience
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2018
Met some great people here, and learned a lot, in fact if it wasn't for a job offer at JvDrivers I would have never left, and would probably be there today
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Great Group of Individuals to work with
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
Greatful to have had the opportunity to gain some experience working in commercial construction. I got to work with some excellent trades people and get a taste for how a busy construction site operates.
New Division of large Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2017
Senior Management had very little experience in the work which was being bid on. Very poor workplace culture was encouraged making for extremely stressful work environment. Would not return by choice but it could have been an excellent division if it had been managed better.
Pros
Some good people hired to start the division
Cons
Management cultivated a very poor workplace culture which created constant personnel turnover
Equitable, and fair place to work
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2017
Not a difficult job, and the pay was good, but they didn't seem to value employees very well and at the time I was working there, they were having some theft.
good place
Journeyman Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  NWT16 September 2017
good company, good culture, safety is priority I had a good experience with the stuart olson company while I worked for them at the guacho que diamond mine
Not abad job, too many orders to fill out.
Skid steer/labourer 35 years (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2017
Good pay and benefits. No work, so I have to find it somewhere else to work. The job changed daily. sometimes you did housekeeping, Stripping of forms, concrete work , run skidsteer and cleanup and backfill and move materials to and from building.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
fill out too many forms
A company with growth potential in commercial construction
QAQC Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
First commercial construction company I have worked for all others have been in the industrial construction and manufacturing industries. It was a great learning experience for me, I enjoyed the interaction with the personnel of the owner as well as with Stuart Olson and subcontractors.
I would recommend working with Stuart Olson if the opportunity presents itself.
Pros
Fair compensation
Cons
Does not have or adheres to company policies & procedures
Was not fun place to work
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2017
Industrial division was a new division at that time with all new employees and was very dysfunctional from upper management to field staff
I was only with this division for very short period of time
Not a very well managed division
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
Managers were inexperienced at managing the type of work they had tendered. Because of the management style it became an increasingly difficult division to work in.
Pros
Some very experienced co workers
Cons
Management would not listen to employees
Interesting experience
Electrical Journeyman (Former Employee) –  NT6 February 2017
Working in the middle of know where was a unique experience, and sometimes a bit of a challenge. But I'd do it all over again for the great wages and experience gained.
typical day
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Quebec1 February 2017
Our days started with work safe meetings and light exercises .
Job assignments , and job assessment , we made sure that work area was safe out before starting and also safe for others in the area, like caution tape or danger tape.
The tools are gathered from tool grib or gang boxes, and inspected for safe use.
Safe work permits where filled out with all the does and don'ts for a productive and safe work day
Pros
good people to work for
Cons
benifits
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AB3 January 2017
Worked for Stuart Olson for 2 years as a Safety Advisor. Excellent experience. I would still be working there is it wasn't for the economic downturn. I would work there again in a heartbeat.
Pros
Good Pay, People and Support from all levels
Cons
Economic driven.
Great team on site to work with
Safety Advisor/ Acting Lead, CNRL Horizon U&O MPDS (Former Employee) –  CNRL and Devon Pike6 December 2016
I provided support and consultation to company management and employees with the objective of preventing injury, illness or property damage. I assisted in ensuring the worksite has safe work conditions, including compliance, communications, training and orientations. Also, provided direction to site personnel in addressing their areas of concern.
Conduct site orientations, tool box talks and weekly safety meetings. Most of my time here I worked with the safety team of six people. I also compiled data and submitted it to the company safety manager and the Client. I coached and mentored the workers in a variety of issues, such as JSA's, FLHA's, and safe work procedures.
revised and developed job hazard assessments
conducted formal and informal site inspections, relaying any corrective actions to foreman, ensuring actions were completed.
update training matrix
facilitate ongoing communications with the Client and ensuring responses to issues/requests.
Cons
no job security in the industrial field
Its a good start to work for.
QA/QC Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 December 2016
Stuart Olson Dominion is an acceptable company to work for, however, also the industrial division management need some improvements since it was fairly new. I liked the respect and the friendly culture among employee.
Pros
Friendly, Salary was average
Cons
Communication