Strive Living Society

Strive Living Society Employee Reviews

Featured review
Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic. If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.
The company provides necessary trainings for the workers to be more competent in their chosen field. They are very flexible and accommodating to day-off/vacation leave's request.
Flexibility, great work/ life balance, frequent opportunities to participate in events/ expos/ fundraisers, training and educational opportunities, solid benefits, down-to-earth management, meaningful work helping individuals with disabilities. Ideas and feedback are encouraged, knowledgeable teams and managers. Employees are open to ideas, excellent teamwork. Open minded, honest, and friendly office culture. It's inspiring to see the individuals we provide services to succeed and how our programs make a difference.
Pros
Training opportunities, good benefits, meaningful employment, vacation, flexibility, great experience, work/ life balance, great management
Cons
Could be more advancement opportunities/ planning.
Interesting, challenging and stressful to look after a child with disability. More attention to the client. Learned to handle client with low and high sugar level by injecting insulin. Receive support from the management. It's not permanet in a sense that the management can remove the client anytime.The pay is good and no tax.
Pros
Good pay and no tax
Cons
Remove client anytime from the foster parent
I really like Strive and what they do in the Greater Vancouver area but they do not offer enough support to their CYS positions. High turn over rate makes it hard to get into a groove when treating clients.
I worked for this agency for over 3 years. It is very apparent that there is a lack of leadership from the Executive Director and upper management which then leads to unfit front line leaders. If you are not in the "inner circle" of the agency you do not have any room to advance and your ideas are not heard. For being advocates for inclusion this is not modeled within the company therefore that philosophy of care is not passed on to the individuals served. Many great coworkers at the agency however the management team and support is not strong. There are many other agencies out there doing a much better job of supporting their staff for the same pay and same work. I would suggest looking at those agencies before signing on with Strive.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Burnout, not adequate training, poor leadership
You will make a difference in children's life by taking this vocation. So rewarding to see them enjoying their lives and learn how to build relationships with otherd
Pros
Changing lives of others, home base job
Cons
Dealing with their biological families is sometimes difficult
lots of experience. It is a fun place to work at. Really easy and you gain alot of experiece for futute enhancement. Would reccommend others to apply for this place
I am working in a specialized resource home for a high profile Child in care. -Working in 2:1 ratio with this particular youth. My daily duties entail doing a sharps count, Medication Administration, checking and initialing a log MAR book for this youth. Maintaining a very strict 30/30 Schedule with the youth to assist him in self regulating. -Using a visual schedule to facilitate and keep the youth regulated during his day.
Pros
Great Team and wealth of knowledge.
Cons
Management not fond of different ideas than their own.
I've worked with Strive Living Society previously Howe Sound Rehab Services society for 6 years. During my time here, I had opportunity for advancement, increase in wage, educational opportunities ( I've been sent to a few weekend educational workshops) as well as I been able to be a part of building new programs. It's a large organization with many disciplines working together ie nurses, rec therapist, community support workers, residential workers, ect. If you prove yourself and are a hard worker you will have opportunity to advance. I'd recommend this agency.
Pros
opportunity, forward thinking, client centred, management
Cons
governed by government funding
Working at Strive is a very rewarding job, yet sometimes challenging because of the nature of work we do. Great people to work with and an amazing management team. The work we do here is absolutely amazing. Strive offers a great work culture, competitive wages, great benefits and has lots of room for growth and advancement.
Pros
Great work culture, room for advancement, competitive wages, great benefits
in this job when I do get a shift it is enjoyable. hope to get more shifts. The co-workers are enjoyable to work with and managers are awesome.
The workers are given very little support by management to provide the kind of care needed for the clients. Co-workers are great people, however many of them are suffering burnout without much attention paid to it by management and as a result, client care suffers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships developed with clients and fellow staff. The hardest part of the job is being made to provide the highest quality care for clients without the facilities and resources necessary for this to happen.
Cons
Terrible management