Strive Living Society

Canada38 reviews

Clear
3.0Job security & advancement

clientexperiencemanagementgreatjobworkhighteam

Amazing organization to work for

Featured review

Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic. If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.

Great Environment

Wonderful place to work! Helpful team members and great opportunities. Lots of shift availability for a casual employee as well. Overall good experience

30 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Strive. We’re glad you had a good experience with us! We’re sorry you’re no longer part of our team, but please contact us if you ever want to return. All the best!

Insights into Strive Living Society

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

stressful and fast-paced

generally a stressful position but pay is good. Expectations kept on adding (sometimes unreasonable considering the time we have). Job requires to be creative in problem solving skill. co-workers are amazing. management is not. Job is definitely secure but career advancement is a bit limited.

Pros

everyone is getting along. pays well

Cons

micromanaging and stressful

16 November 2021
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry your experience at Strive isn’t more positive. We’re aware that the nature of the job can be “stressful and fast-paced” and we try to support our team members the best we can by offering flexibility, training, time off, and EAP. We encourage and welcome staff to reach out if additional support is needed.

productive fun work place with table tennis

There were many transitions at work depend on the work site managers. It was very challenging to work with high risk youth It is good to have medical and dental extended benefits

Pros

many options to choose for work sites

Cons

high risk to get harmed

16 November 2021
We really appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at Strive. We’re glad you had fun during your time here and we hope you’ll consider working for us again in the future.

Decent for a starter job in the field

This place was very wishy washy. Great experience to learn from. However it’s very hard to work in an environment and industry where u have a o care for Kids but your not allowed in anyway to care about them.

16 November 2021
Thanks for your review. We’re a bit confused by the comment of not being allowed to care about the kids. We hope that everyone who works for Strive is caring and given an opportunity to show it. We apologize for any miscommunication, and we hope that you’ll give us another chance if you’re ever looking for work again.

Great Work Environment

I am happy I got the opportunity to work in such a professional organisation. I had access to great and very helpful trainings and workshops. I consider my experience at Strive as one of the most important career milestone.

16 November 2021
Thanks for this wonderful review. We’re happy to know you were able to benefit from our training opportunities and the experience helped you in your career. We’re grateful for the time you spent with us.

Work

Strive has been around for a long time and I have got to know a lot of wonderful people and staff there over the years. I am always leaning new things and am grateful for the experience

16 November 2021
Thank you for this review! We’re very pleased to hear when staff like yourself have a good experience at Strive. We hope you’ll remain part of the Strive team for many more years to come.

It's not bad, could be better.

Typical day involves: Outings with clients Personal Care Daily Journal Writing Incident Reporting Maintaining the cleanliness of your worksite What I learned: MANDT training provided First Aid Training provided Management: I have a part time line and work with Adults in the Day Program and Group Homes and also pick up shifts in their Children and Youth Services Department so I can compare and contrast management. Adults - current manager, works hands on and trains new staff hands on but, I feel their 4 hour orientations are not enough. There was however another manager in the Richmond location who did a 4 hour orientation for me to work as a casual worker in a Specialized home in April 2016. After the 4 hour orientation, the manager actually worked with me for the full 8 hours of my first shift in this specialized home so I learned the clients personal care routine in the evening right away and also her typical routine during the pm over the weekends. I thought that this manager went above and beyond to help new or casual workers for his site. This is one of the reason why I kept picking up shifts in this location. Sadly, this manager resigned and was replaced by a newbie. Childrens: Managers do not train you hands on, they ask the senior staff to do their trainings without management oversight. This is ok I guess as long as you train with a good senior worker. However, we all know that not everyone is always good at their jobs even though they have been their for awhile which can lead to discrepancies in the training and no continuity of care. -

Pros

Work Experience

Cons

Gossip, High turn over rate for Staff and Management.

16 November 2021
Thank you for your very detailed review. We’re pleased you gained some valuable work experience during your time here. Unfortunately, this industry does suffer from quite a bit of turnover and Strive is not immune. We wish we had the resources to provide more training and higher wages to help mitigate the cons. We’re doing our best and really appreciate the work of all our support staff.

awesome place to work

Great place to work for. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. it feels like one big family. great opportunities to grow and great learning experiences.

16 November 2021
Thank you for the nice review. We strive to make our workplaces inclusive and supportive. We’re glad you’ve been able to take advantage of opportunities to learn and grow and that you’ll continue to be a member of the Strive team for years to come.

up to date for related trainings to staff

The company provides necessary trainings for the workers to be more competent in their chosen field. They are very flexible and accommodating to day-off/vacation leave's request.

16 November 2021
We appreciate the positive review, thank you for the 5-star rating!

Meaningful work and an amazing team

Flexibility, great work/ life balance, frequent opportunities to participate in events/ expos/ fundraisers, training and educational opportunities, solid benefits, down-to-earth management, meaningful work helping individuals with disabilities. Ideas and feedback are encouraged, knowledgeable teams and managers. Employees are open to ideas, excellent teamwork. Open minded, honest, and friendly office culture. It's inspiring to see the individuals we provide services to succeed and how our programs make a difference.

Pros

Training opportunities, good benefits, meaningful employment, vacation, flexibility, great experience, work/ life balance, great management

Cons

Could be more advancement opportunities/ planning.

16 November 2021
Thanks for the great review. We’d love to have endless opportunities to advance our amazing team members. We’re continuously working on growing the agency so we can realize these opportunities.

good pace

lots of experience. It is a fun place to work at. Really easy and you gain alot of experiece for futute enhancement. Would reccommend others to apply for this place

16 November 2021
Thank you for the review and recommendation. We try to make the work fun for our employees and give lots of opportunity to learn. Glad you were able to gain lots of experience here.

I've worked with Strive Living Society previously Howe Sound Rehab Services society for 6 years. During my time here, I had opportunity for advancement, increase in wage, educational opportunities ( I've been sent to a few weekend educational workshops) as well as I been able to be a part of building new programs. It's a large organization with many disciplines working together ie nurses, rec therapist, community support workers, residential workers, ect. If you prove yourself and are a hard worker you will have opportunity to advance. I'd recommend this agency.

Pros

opportunity, forward thinking, client centred, management

Cons

governed by government funding

16 November 2021
Thank you for the nice review. We’re proud of our diverse team and appreciate all the work from the different players. We’re immensely grateful for the work you’re doing and your commitment to Strive.

Great place to work!

Working at Strive is a very rewarding job, yet sometimes challenging because of the nature of work we do. Great people to work with and an amazing management team. The work we do here is absolutely amazing. Strive offers a great work culture, competitive wages, great benefits and has lots of room for growth and advancement.

Pros

Great work culture, room for advancement, competitive wages, great benefits

16 November 2021
Thank you for the five-star review! We keep striving for perfection and need people like you to help us get there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strive Living Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement