Strive Living Society

Support Worker14 reviews
Canada14 reviews

clientexperiencemanagementgreatjobworkhighteam

Okay

Okay place to work. No concerns not really much to say. People where nice and I made great friends. The residents where nice and made the job worth it.

Overall good!

Not all managers are supportive, less organized. Good environment work place. Sometimes stressful and challenging. Good professional development. Benefits better.

Pros

Benefits, unionized

Cons

Less organized

Insights into Strive Living Society

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Great place to work and learn

During my time with Strive I worked in the Children's Program as well as in the Adult 1-1 program. Both programs were very organized, supportive, team oriented and most importantly client focused. Management was professional and approachable. If you want to learn and grow your skills I highly recommend this company.

Pros

great team, great management, supportive, client focused, family centred

16 November 2021
We appreciate you sharing your positive experience here and recommending Strive as a place to work. We try our best to keep the people we serve as the focus of our work.

it was ok

everything was ok the only one thing i was not satisfied was the salary. work cultures was too good.i learnt a lot form there. i like their management.

16 November 2021
Thank you for leaving us a review. We agree that salaries should be better for everyone working in this field. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed Strive’s culture and working with our management team. All the best

Great Work Environment

I am happy I got the opportunity to work in such a professional organisation. I had access to great and very helpful trainings and workshops. I consider my experience at Strive as one of the most important career milestone.

16 November 2021
Thanks for this wonderful review. We’re happy to know you were able to benefit from our training opportunities and the experience helped you in your career. We’re grateful for the time you spent with us.

Management spends a great deal of their time eating at the Casino during work hours. Your lucky if you call their office and they answer, maybe they have call display?They do not set a good example of taking employees seriously when an employee puts in a bullying/harassment complaint. They will drag out the process to suit their own schedule and leave the employee emotional upset. They need to update their skills on the interview process for situations like this.

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Preferential treatment to one person at the expense of another

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s very unfortunate that your experience was so negative at Strive. We do not monitor where our office employees take their lunch breaks as that is not on company time and we respect their privacy and choices outside of work. The bullying and harassment process is governed by the Collective Agreement which our staff are obligated to follow. Your suggestion to update skills is an integral part of our plan for continuous improvement.

Nice Place to Work

The clients are great of course. Some more complex than others. I worked on call on three group on the North Shore. I felt supported by all the managers.

Pros

Some really great managers

Cons

Crazy co- workers occasionally

16 November 2021
Thank you for submitting your review. We’re glad your time at Strive was mostly positive and you felt supported by all the managers. We hope you will consider working for us again if you’re looking for work in the future.

Very fulfilling workplace

Taking the time to enhance someone's life who has different abilities in return gives the supporter new and positive appreciation of what's important. At times the emotional output can be draining but so much about this work fills the tank back up.

16 November 2021
Thanks for your review. We agree that this work is very fulfilling and we appreciate people like you who are dedicated to this field.

It's not bad, could be better.

Typical day involves: Outings with clients Personal Care Daily Journal Writing Incident Reporting Maintaining the cleanliness of your worksite What I learned: MANDT training provided First Aid Training provided Management: I have a part time line and work with Adults in the Day Program and Group Homes and also pick up shifts in their Children and Youth Services Department so I can compare and contrast management. Adults - current manager, works hands on and trains new staff hands on but, I feel their 4 hour orientations are not enough. There was however another manager in the Richmond location who did a 4 hour orientation for me to work as a casual worker in a Specialized home in April 2016. After the 4 hour orientation, the manager actually worked with me for the full 8 hours of my first shift in this specialized home so I learned the clients personal care routine in the evening right away and also her typical routine during the pm over the weekends. I thought that this manager went above and beyond to help new or casual workers for his site. This is one of the reason why I kept picking up shifts in this location. Sadly, this manager resigned and was replaced by a newbie. Childrens: Managers do not train you hands on, they ask the senior staff to do their trainings without management oversight. This is ok I guess as long as you train with a good senior worker. However, we all know that not everyone is always good at their jobs even though they have been their for awhile which can lead to discrepancies in the training and no continuity of care. -

Pros

Work Experience

Cons

Gossip, High turn over rate for Staff and Management.

16 November 2021
Thank you for your very detailed review. We’re pleased you gained some valuable work experience during your time here. Unfortunately, this industry does suffer from quite a bit of turnover and Strive is not immune. We wish we had the resources to provide more training and higher wages to help mitigate the cons. We’re doing our best and really appreciate the work of all our support staff.

up to date for related trainings to staff

The company provides necessary trainings for the workers to be more competent in their chosen field. They are very flexible and accommodating to day-off/vacation leave's request.

16 November 2021
We appreciate the positive review, thank you for the 5-star rating!

Poor management from the top down

I worked for this agency for over 3 years. It is very apparent that there is a lack of leadership from the Executive Director and upper management which then leads to unfit front line leaders. If you are not in the "inner circle" of the agency you do not have any room to advance and your ideas are not heard. For being advocates for inclusion this is not modeled within the company therefore that philosophy of care is not passed on to the individuals served. Many great coworkers at the agency however the management team and support is not strong. There are many other agencies out there doing a much better job of supporting their staff for the same pay and same work. I would suggest looking at those agencies before signing on with Strive.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Burnout, not adequate training, poor leadership

16 November 2021
Thank you for your review. Strive is always working to improve our team and in turn improve our services to those we support. We’re sorry you felt there was a lack of training and leadership as we would like to be able to address these issues before staff depart. We welcome the opportunity to change your mind if you are ever searching for work again in the future.

good pace

lots of experience. It is a fun place to work at. Really easy and you gain alot of experiece for futute enhancement. Would reccommend others to apply for this place

16 November 2021
Thank you for the review and recommendation. We try to make the work fun for our employees and give lots of opportunity to learn. Glad you were able to gain lots of experience here.

Great experience into Residential Youth Work .

I am working in a specialized resource home for a high profile Child in care. -Working in 2:1 ratio with this particular youth. My daily duties entail doing a sharps count, Medication Administration, checking and initialing a log MAR book for this youth. Maintaining a very strict 30/30 Schedule with the youth to assist him in self regulating. -Using a visual schedule to facilitate and keep the youth regulated during his day.

Pros

Great Team and wealth of knowledge.

Cons

Management not fond of different ideas than their own.

16 November 2021
Thanks for writing a review of your experience at Strive. Sorry to hear that management wasn’t open to ideas as we are always trying to learn and adapt along with the needs of our service recipients. We have some great teams and we’re happy to hear that you were working as part of one.

Terrible Company to work for

The workers are given very little support by management to provide the kind of care needed for the clients. Co-workers are great people, however many of them are suffering burnout without much attention paid to it by management and as a result, client care suffers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships developed with clients and fellow staff. The hardest part of the job is being made to provide the highest quality care for clients without the facilities and resources necessary for this to happen.

Cons

Terrible management

16 November 2021
Thanks for your review. It’s unfortunate we don’t have the opportunity to work on resolving the issues you’ve encountered while at Strive. We’re always working to make improvements and feedback such as this is valuable to us. All the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strive Living Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement