Strive Living Society

Strive Living Society Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Featured review
Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic. If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.
During my time with Strive I worked in the Children's Program as well as in the Adult 1-1 program. Both programs were very organized, supportive, team oriented and most importantly client focused. Management was professional and approachable. If you want to learn and grow your skills I highly recommend this company.
Pros
great team, great management, supportive, client focused, family centred
everything was ok the only one thing i was not satisfied was the salary. work cultures was too good.i learnt a lot form there. i like their management.
I am happy I got the opportunity to work in such a professional organisation. I had access to great and very helpful trainings and workshops. I consider my experience at Strive as one of the most important career milestone.
Management spends a great deal of their time eating at the Casino during work hours. Your lucky if you call their office and they answer, maybe they have call display?They do not set a good example of taking employees seriously when an employee puts in a bullying/harassment complaint. They will drag out the process to suit their own schedule and leave the employee emotional upset. They need to update their skills on the interview process for situations like this.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Preferential treatment to one person at the expense of another
The clients are great of course. Some more complex than others. I worked on call on three group on the North Shore. I felt supported by all the managers.
Pros
Some really great managers
Cons
Crazy co- workers occasionally
Taking the time to enhance someone's life who has different abilities in return gives the supporter new and positive appreciation of what's important. At times the emotional output can be draining but so much about this work fills the tank back up.
Typical day involves: Outings with clients Personal Care Daily Journal Writing Incident Reporting Maintaining the cleanliness of your worksite What I learned: MANDT training provided First Aid Training provided Management: I have a part time line and work with Adults in the Day Program and Group Homes and also pick up shifts in their Children and Youth Services Department so I can compare and contrast management. Adults - current manager, works hands on and trains new staff hands on but, I feel their 4 hour orientations are not enough. There was however another manager in the Richmond location who did a 4 hour orientation for me to work as a casual worker in a Specialized home in April 2016. After the 4 hour orientation, the manager actually worked with me for the full 8 hours of my first shift in this specialized home so I learned the clients personal care routine in the evening right away and also her typical routine during the pm over the weekends. I thought that this manager went above and beyond to help new or casual workers for his site. This is one of the reason why I kept picking up shifts in this location. Sadly, this manager resigned and was replaced by a newbie. Childrens: Managers do not train you hands on, they ask the senior staff to do their trainings without management oversight. This is ok I guess as long as you train with a good senior worker. However, we all know that not everyone is always good at their jobs even though they have been their for awhile which can lead to discrepancies in the training and no continuity of care. - more...
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Gossip, High turn over rate for Staff and Management.
The company provides necessary trainings for the workers to be more competent in their chosen field. They are very flexible and accommodating to day-off/vacation leave's request.
I worked for this agency for over 3 years. It is very apparent that there is a lack of leadership from the Executive Director and upper management which then leads to unfit front line leaders. If you are not in the "inner circle" of the agency you do not have any room to advance and your ideas are not heard. For being advocates for inclusion this is not modeled within the company therefore that philosophy of care is not passed on to the individuals served. Many great coworkers at the agency however the management team and support is not strong. There are many other agencies out there doing a much better job of supporting their staff for the same pay and same work. I would suggest looking at those agencies before signing on with Strive.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Burnout, not adequate training, poor leadership
lots of experience. It is a fun place to work at. Really easy and you gain alot of experiece for futute enhancement. Would reccommend others to apply for this place
I am working in a specialized resource home for a high profile Child in care. -Working in 2:1 ratio with this particular youth. My daily duties entail doing a sharps count, Medication Administration, checking and initialing a log MAR book for this youth. Maintaining a very strict 30/30 Schedule with the youth to assist him in self regulating. -Using a visual schedule to facilitate and keep the youth regulated during his day.
Pros
Great Team and wealth of knowledge.
Cons
Management not fond of different ideas than their own.
The workers are given very little support by management to provide the kind of care needed for the clients. Co-workers are great people, however many of them are suffering burnout without much attention paid to it by management and as a result, client care suffers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships developed with clients and fellow staff. The hardest part of the job is being made to provide the highest quality care for clients without the facilities and resources necessary for this to happen.
Cons
Terrible management