Strive Living Society

Strive Living Society Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Featured review
Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic. If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.
There were many transitions at work depend on the work site managers. It was very challenging to work with high risk youth It is good to have medical and dental extended benefits
Pros
many options to choose for work sites
Cons
high risk to get harmed
I am happy I got the opportunity to work in such a professional organisation. I had access to great and very helpful trainings and workshops. I consider my experience at Strive as one of the most important career milestone.
Management was very challenging with this company. However, the wages are higher and the clients are a pleasure. There are many homes that need workers, and their is always penalty of work.
Not a fun job, to be honest. They make you work really long hours and don't pay nearly enough for the what they expect of you. As well, the co-workers aren't the friendliest.
Excellent job, excellent management, working with Strive Living was a personally rewarding experience that helped me decide to follow this path in life. I was given a leave of absence from Strive Living to complete a university degree in Ontario, and met with family issues that prevented my returning to BC; otherwise, I would still be there. I cannot think of a better way to live than helping others as Strive Living does. Even though this writer worked specifically with adults and children prone to physical outbursts, i received excellent training and support by management, and recognition for effort. Sadly, a minor disabilty limits my ability to counter violence now.
Pros
Everything, (but pay could be a little better.)
Cons
compensation makes living in lower-mainland BC difficult.
I really like Strive and what they do in the Greater Vancouver area but they do not offer enough support to their CYS positions. High turn over rate makes it hard to get into a groove when treating clients.
I worked for this agency for over 3 years. It is very apparent that there is a lack of leadership from the Executive Director and upper management which then leads to unfit front line leaders. If you are not in the "inner circle" of the agency you do not have any room to advance and your ideas are not heard. For being advocates for inclusion this is not modeled within the company therefore that philosophy of care is not passed on to the individuals served. Many great coworkers at the agency however the management team and support is not strong. There are many other agencies out there doing a much better job of supporting their staff for the same pay and same work. I would suggest looking at those agencies before signing on with Strive.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Burnout, not adequate training, poor leadership
I've worked with Strive Living Society previously Howe Sound Rehab Services society for 6 years. During my time here, I had opportunity for advancement, increase in wage, educational opportunities ( I've been sent to a few weekend educational workshops) as well as I been able to be a part of building new programs. It's a large organization with many disciplines working together ie nurses, rec therapist, community support workers, residential workers, ect. If you prove yourself and are a hard worker you will have opportunity to advance. I'd recommend this agency.
Pros
opportunity, forward thinking, client centred, management
Cons
governed by government funding