Strive Living Society

Strive Living Society Employee Reviews in Burnaby, BC

Burnaby, BC10 reviews

clientexperiencemanagementgreatjobworkhighteam

Amazing organization to work for

Featured review

Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic. If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.

Don't work here

Save yourselves the trouble and don't work here. Staff (especially in AIL) are not valued or appreciated. Managers will micro manage everything you do. Work is fast paced, managers place unrealistic deadlines and are unorganized.

Insights into Strive Living Society

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Disorganized and Isolating

This company is desperate for workers due to the high turnover rate. Management changes constantly, it started off with a yearly change but then it became almost every 6 months. Contacting managers becomes very difficult and confusing. There are barely any meetings or ways to feel connected to your co workers. The only time you will meet a co worker is either by training new staff, or if a manager visits for an equipment check. The children are absolutely the highlight of this job, they're wonderful and are in need of help but due to lack of training as well as management not always being familiar with different children, as the one to one worker you will be thrown into the fire many times. This job can be very stressful at times due to this. In shortNegatives: - Management is in disarray- Managers also are not familiar with the actual kids as they are randomly hired from different organizations- Isolating: there is no sense of community and you barely see your co workers- Stressful: due to lack of knowledge regarding clients from management, you are not trained very well for each client thus creating a sink or swim situation for the worker- Positives:- You get to work with incredible youth and the job is very rewarding - Pay: you are compensated very well but it is hard to get a full 40 hour week unless you're in residential care. Overall my rating is a 2-2.5. If you want to gain work experience in this field as a student I recommend it but I warn you to not get taken advantage of by this company. You will be asked to do many things that are beyond your duties. -

stressful and fast-paced

generally a stressful position but pay is good. Expectations kept on adding (sometimes unreasonable considering the time we have). Job requires to be creative in problem solving skill. co-workers are amazing. management is not. Job is definitely secure but career advancement is a bit limited.

Pros

everyone is getting along. pays well

Cons

micromanaging and stressful

16 November 2021
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry your experience at Strive isn’t more positive. We’re aware that the nature of the job can be “stressful and fast-paced” and we try to support our team members the best we can by offering flexibility, training, time off, and EAP. We encourage and welcome staff to reach out if additional support is needed.

Needs Improvement

Many workers just there for the pay check and could be quite neglectful or unmotivated with clients. High stress and burn out of workers causing tension, irritability and chaos.

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We totally agree that improvement is needed as we never stop striving for perfection in quality service delivery. Feedback such as yours is helpful in letting us know where to focus more of our attention.

Changes

Sad but favouritism is given and others are booted out. Made to feel incompetent when you have years of experience. With no cause minds are changed daily without team collaboration.

16 November 2021
We’re sorry to read this less than positive review. It is never our intent to make anyone, staffs or service recipients, feel anything less than valued. Please reach out to human resources to share more of your experience so we can work on improving things.

Work

Strive has been around for a long time and I have got to know a lot of wonderful people and staff there over the years. I am always leaning new things and am grateful for the experience

16 November 2021
Thank you for this review! We’re very pleased to hear when staff like yourself have a good experience at Strive. We hope you’ll remain part of the Strive team for many more years to come.

Management spends a great deal of their time eating at the Casino during work hours. Your lucky if you call their office and they answer, maybe they have call display?They do not set a good example of taking employees seriously when an employee puts in a bullying/harassment complaint. They will drag out the process to suit their own schedule and leave the employee emotional upset. They need to update their skills on the interview process for situations like this.

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Preferential treatment to one person at the expense of another

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s very unfortunate that your experience was so negative at Strive. We do not monitor where our office employees take their lunch breaks as that is not on company time and we respect their privacy and choices outside of work. The bullying and harassment process is governed by the Collective Agreement which our staff are obligated to follow. Your suggestion to update skills is an integral part of our plan for continuous improvement.

Meaningful work and an amazing team

Flexibility, great work/ life balance, frequent opportunities to participate in events/ expos/ fundraisers, training and educational opportunities, solid benefits, down-to-earth management, meaningful work helping individuals with disabilities. Ideas and feedback are encouraged, knowledgeable teams and managers. Employees are open to ideas, excellent teamwork. Open minded, honest, and friendly office culture. It's inspiring to see the individuals we provide services to succeed and how our programs make a difference.

Pros

Training opportunities, good benefits, meaningful employment, vacation, flexibility, great experience, work/ life balance, great management

Cons

Could be more advancement opportunities/ planning.

16 November 2021
Thanks for the great review. We’d love to have endless opportunities to advance our amazing team members. We’re continuously working on growing the agency so we can realize these opportunities.

Rewarding to help kids in all aspects of their lives

You will make a difference in children's life by taking this vocation. So rewarding to see them enjoying their lives and learn how to build relationships with otherd

Pros

Changing lives of others, home base job

Cons

Dealing with their biological families is sometimes difficult

16 November 2021
Thank you for leaving us a review. We agree that the work everyone is doing at Strive is rewarding and we appreciate you making a difference in someone’s life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strive Living Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement