Strive Living Society

• Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Amazing organization to work for

Featured review

Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic. If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.

Okay

Okay place to work. No concerns not really much to say. People where nice and I made great friends. The residents where nice and made the job worth it.

Disorganized and Isolating

This company is desperate for workers due to the high turnover rate. Management changes constantly, it started off with a yearly change but then it became almost every 6 months. Contacting managers becomes very difficult and confusing. There are barely any meetings or ways to feel connected to your co workers. The only time you will meet a co worker is either by training new staff, or if a manager visits for an equipment check. The children are absolutely the highlight of this job, they're wonderful and are in need of help but due to lack of training as well as management not always being familiar with different children, as the one to one worker you will be thrown into the fire many times. This job can be very stressful at times due to this. In shortNegatives: - Management is in disarray- Managers also are not familiar with the actual kids as they are randomly hired from different organizations- Isolating: there is no sense of community and you barely see your co workers- Stressful: due to lack of knowledge regarding clients from management, you are not trained very well for each client thus creating a sink or swim situation for the worker- Positives:- You get to work with incredible youth and the job is very rewarding - Pay: you are compensated very well but it is hard to get a full 40 hour week unless you're in residential care. Overall my rating is a 2-2.5. If you want to gain work experience in this field as a student I recommend it but I warn you to not get taken advantage of by this company. You will be asked to do many things that are beyond your duties. -

Overall good!

Not all managers are supportive, less organized. Good environment work place. Sometimes stressful and challenging. Good professional development. Benefits better.

Pros

Benefits, unionized

Cons

Less organized

Great Environment

Wonderful place to work! Helpful team members and great opportunities. Lots of shift availability for a casual employee as well. Overall good experience

30 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Strive. We’re glad you had a good experience with us! We’re sorry you’re no longer part of our team, but please contact us if you ever want to return. All the best!

Great place to work and learn

During my time with Strive I worked in the Children's Program as well as in the Adult 1-1 program. Both programs were very organized, supportive, team oriented and most importantly client focused. Management was professional and approachable. If you want to learn and grow your skills I highly recommend this company.

Pros

great team, great management, supportive, client focused, family centred

16 November 2021
We appreciate you sharing your positive experience here and recommending Strive as a place to work. We try our best to keep the people we serve as the focus of our work.

stressful and fast-paced

generally a stressful position but pay is good. Expectations kept on adding (sometimes unreasonable considering the time we have). Job requires to be creative in problem solving skill. co-workers are amazing. management is not. Job is definitely secure but career advancement is a bit limited.

Pros

everyone is getting along. pays well

Cons

micromanaging and stressful

16 November 2021
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry your experience at Strive isn’t more positive. We’re aware that the nature of the job can be “stressful and fast-paced” and we try to support our team members the best we can by offering flexibility, training, time off, and EAP. We encourage and welcome staff to reach out if additional support is needed.

Needs Improvement

Many workers just there for the pay check and could be quite neglectful or unmotivated with clients. High stress and burn out of workers causing tension, irritability and chaos.

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We totally agree that improvement is needed as we never stop striving for perfection in quality service delivery. Feedback such as yours is helpful in letting us know where to focus more of our attention.

Always Adapting

Strive is always trying to adapt and better its services to benefit the clients and staff! Great benefits package and a friendly group of staff at head office.

16 November 2021
Thank you for your five star review! Yes, adapting and changing are essential to meet the needs of the people we serve and employ. We’re so happy you’re happy with the benefits and your coworkers. We’re glad to have you as part of the Strive team.

productive fun work place with table tennis

There were many transitions at work depend on the work site managers. It was very challenging to work with high risk youth It is good to have medical and dental extended benefits

Pros

many options to choose for work sites

Cons

high risk to get harmed

16 November 2021
We really appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at Strive. We’re glad you had fun during your time here and we hope you’ll consider working for us again in the future.

Changes

Sad but favouritism is given and others are booted out. Made to feel incompetent when you have years of experience. With no cause minds are changed daily without team collaboration.

16 November 2021
We’re sorry to read this less than positive review. It is never our intent to make anyone, staffs or service recipients, feel anything less than valued. Please reach out to human resources to share more of your experience so we can work on improving things.

Decent for a starter job in the field

This place was very wishy washy. Great experience to learn from. However it’s very hard to work in an environment and industry where u have a o care for Kids but your not allowed in anyway to care about them.

16 November 2021
Thanks for your review. We’re a bit confused by the comment of not being allowed to care about the kids. We hope that everyone who works for Strive is caring and given an opportunity to show it. We apologize for any miscommunication, and we hope that you’ll give us another chance if you’re ever looking for work again.

it was ok

everything was ok the only one thing i was not satisfied was the salary. work cultures was too good.i learnt a lot form there. i like their management.

16 November 2021
Thank you for leaving us a review. We agree that salaries should be better for everyone working in this field. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed Strive’s culture and working with our management team. All the best

Great Work Environment

I am happy I got the opportunity to work in such a professional organisation. I had access to great and very helpful trainings and workshops. I consider my experience at Strive as one of the most important career milestone.

16 November 2021
Thanks for this wonderful review. We’re happy to know you were able to benefit from our training opportunities and the experience helped you in your career. We’re grateful for the time you spent with us.

Completely Horrid

Expect you to be a slave to the company. Have such a low rating that they had to "rebrand" (change their name). Hound employees on stress leave to return.

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear you had such a bad experience here. We wish there was an opportunity to hear your concerns at the time, so we could work on resolving them together. To clarify, the rebranding was due to a change in our services from “rehabilitation” to “support.”

Work

Strive has been around for a long time and I have got to know a lot of wonderful people and staff there over the years. I am always leaning new things and am grateful for the experience

16 November 2021
Thank you for this review! We’re very pleased to hear when staff like yourself have a good experience at Strive. We hope you’ll remain part of the Strive team for many more years to come.

Management spends a great deal of their time eating at the Casino during work hours. Your lucky if you call their office and they answer, maybe they have call display?They do not set a good example of taking employees seriously when an employee puts in a bullying/harassment complaint. They will drag out the process to suit their own schedule and leave the employee emotional upset. They need to update their skills on the interview process for situations like this.

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Preferential treatment to one person at the expense of another

16 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s very unfortunate that your experience was so negative at Strive. We do not monitor where our office employees take their lunch breaks as that is not on company time and we respect their privacy and choices outside of work. The bullying and harassment process is governed by the Collective Agreement which our staff are obligated to follow. Your suggestion to update skills is an integral part of our plan for continuous improvement.

Nice Place to Work

The clients are great of course. Some more complex than others. I worked on call on three group on the North Shore. I felt supported by all the managers.

Pros

Some really great managers

Cons

Crazy co- workers occasionally

16 November 2021
Thank you for submitting your review. We’re glad your time at Strive was mostly positive and you felt supported by all the managers. We hope you will consider working for us again if you’re looking for work in the future.

Strive Living Society

Management was very challenging with this company. However, the wages are higher and the clients are a pleasure. There are many homes that need workers, and their is always penalty of work.

16 November 2021
Thanks for your review. We like to believe our clients are a pleasure and that staff enjoy working with them. If there was anything in particular that was challenging with management, we would’ve liked to hear about it so we could address it.

Caring Managerial staff

- Friendly and support staff - Adequate resources to do the job - The hardest part about the job was lack of organization coming from head office - Most enjoyable was the team work ethic from staff

16 November 2021
Thanks for writing a review. We’re happy to hear that your experience is mostly positive at Strive. We welcome additional feedback with more details so we can work on resolving any problems. Please feel free to reach out to your direct supervisor or human resources.

Very fulfilling workplace

Taking the time to enhance someone's life who has different abilities in return gives the supporter new and positive appreciation of what's important. At times the emotional output can be draining but so much about this work fills the tank back up.

16 November 2021
Thanks for your review. We agree that this work is very fulfilling and we appreciate people like you who are dedicated to this field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strive Living Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement