Play YouTube video button

Strive Living Society Employee Reviews

Canada33 reviews
Featured review
Strive Living Society selected this as a representative review
I worked for Strive for almost 4 years, and it was an incredible learning experience. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The HR team is fantastic.
If you are looking for a place to grow while working with smart and fun coworkers, Strive is the perfect organization.
During my time with Strive I worked in the Children's Program as well as in the Adult 1-1 program. Both programs were very organized, supportive, team oriented and most importantly client focused. Management was professional and approachable. If you want to learn and grow your skills I highly recommend this company.
Pros
great team, great management, supportive, client focused, family centred
generally a stressful position but pay is good. Expectations kept on adding (sometimes unreasonable considering the time we have). Job requires to be creative in problem solving skill. co-workers are amazing. management is not. Job is definitely secure but career advancement is a bit limited.
Pros
everyone is getting along. pays well
Cons
micromanaging and stressful
Many workers just there for the pay check and could be quite neglectful or unmotivated with clients. High stress and burn out of workers causing tension, irritability and chaos.
Strive is always trying to adapt and better its services to benefit the clients and staff! Great benefits package and a friendly group of staff at head office.
There were many transitions at work depend on the work site managers.
It was very challenging to work with high risk youth

It is good to have medical and dental extended benefits
Pros
many options to choose for work sites
Cons
high risk to get harmed
Sad but favouritism is given and others are booted out. Made to feel incompetent when you have years of experience. With no cause minds are changed daily without team collaboration.
This place was very wishy washy. Great experience to learn from. However it’s very hard to work in an environment and industry where u have a o care for Kids but your not allowed in anyway to care about them.
everything was ok the only one thing i was not satisfied was the salary. work cultures was too good.i learnt a lot form there. i like their management.
I am happy I got the opportunity to work in such a professional organisation. I had access to great and very helpful trainings and workshops. I consider my experience at Strive as one of the most important career milestone.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Strive Living Society?
Expect you to be a slave to the company. Have such a low rating that they had to "rebrand" (change their name). Hound employees on stress leave to return.
Strive has been around for a long time and I have got to know a lot of wonderful people and staff there over the years. I am always leaning new things and am grateful for the experience
Management spends a great deal of their time eating at the Casino during work hours. Your lucky if you call their office and they answer, maybe they have call display?They do not set a good example of taking employees seriously when an employee puts in a bullying/harassment complaint. They will drag out the process to suit their own schedule and leave the employee emotional upset. They need to update their skills on the interview process for situations like this.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Preferential treatment to one person at the expense of another
The clients are great of course. Some more complex than others. I worked on call on three group on the North Shore. I felt supported by all the managers.
Pros
Some really great managers
Cons
Crazy co- workers occasionally
Management was very challenging with this company. However, the wages are higher and the clients are a pleasure. There are many homes that need workers, and their is always penalty of work.
- Friendly and support staff
- Adequate resources to do the job

- The hardest part about the job was lack of organization coming from head office

- Most enjoyable was the team work ethic from staff
Taking the time to enhance someone's life who has different abilities in return gives the supporter new and positive appreciation of what's important.

At times the emotional output can be draining but so much about this work fills the tank back up.
Not a fun job, to be honest. They make you work really long hours and don't pay nearly enough for the what they expect of you. As well, the co-workers aren't the friendliest.
Typical day involves:

Outings with clients

Personal Care

Daily Journal Writing

Incident Reporting

Maintaining the cleanliness of your worksite

What I learned:

MANDT training provided

First Aid Training provided

Management:

I have a part time line and work with Adults in the Day Program and Group Homes and also pick up shifts in their Children and Youth Services Department so I can compare and contrast management.

Adults - current manager, works hands on and trains new staff hands on but, I feel their 4 hour orientations are not enough.

There was however another manager in the Richmond location who did a 4 hour orientation for me to work as a casual worker in a Specialized home in April 2016. After the 4 hour orientation, the manager actually worked with me for the full 8 hours of my first shift in this specialized home so I learned the clients personal care routine in the evening right away and also her typical routine during the pm over the weekends.

I thought that this manager went above and beyond to help new or casual workers for his site. This is one of the reason why I kept picking up shifts in this location. Sadly, this manager resigned and was replaced by a newbie.

Childrens:

Managers do not train you hands on, they ask the senior staff to do their trainings without management oversight. This is ok I guess as long as you train with a good senior worker. However, we all know that not everyone is always good at their jobs even though they have been their for awhile which can lead to discrepancies in the training and no continuity of care.
 - more...
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Gossip, High turn over rate for Staff and Management.
Great place to work for. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. it feels like one big family. great opportunities to grow and great learning experiences.
Excellent job, excellent management, working with Strive Living was a personally rewarding experience that helped me decide to follow this path in life. I was given a leave of absence from Strive Living to complete a university degree in Ontario, and met with family issues that prevented my returning to BC; otherwise, I would still be there. I cannot think of a better way to live than helping others as Strive Living does.

Even though this writer worked specifically with adults and children prone to physical outbursts, i received excellent training and support by management, and recognition for effort. Sadly, a minor disabilty limits my ability to counter violence now.
Pros
Everything, (but pay could be a little better.)
Cons
compensation makes living in lower-mainland BC difficult.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strive Living Society. Our community is ready to answer.