Strathcona Hotel

Strathcona Hotel Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
Meeting new people from all over the world is a top perk. Management is extremely understanding and reasonable. Lots of employees if shifts needed to be covered.
A challenging job for upcoming cooks, opportunity for growth & apprenticeship for schooling. Friendly staff, management and owners who reward loyalty and hard work.
Pros
Lots of staff functions, food discounts.
Cons
sometimes communication in the front of the house is a bit lacking.
What an exciting team to work for. The best team in Victoria, B.C. All the staff welcome you with open arms they are very friendly. I would recommend it to everyone.
A good workplace with friendly employers and coworkers. Many good staff amenities and job perks. A good restaurant and fun upbeat team environment with an exciting allure.
All the staff is super cool and nice. Having so many people working all in one big building makes for really awesome relationships so with so many different types of people!
Want to work in a clean, secure, friendly environment? This is not the place. Not only is the employer an idiot, but so is everyone who stays in this not very well run hotel. Also check for bed bugs everytime you leave, and if you are a housekeeper (BEWARE) watch for needles, stains and whatever else you may find in hotel rooms !
Cons
Not only were the hotel rooms awful but so was the employer.
I worked for the Strathcona Hotel as a Doorman for a year and a half and it was one of my most memorable and enjoyable jobs I have ever held. I only left the position due to relocating to a more affordable city but if I return to the city I will be sure to reapply with the security team here and continue my time with them as I have never before had a more supportive and reliable work team before.
Pros
Great staff, discounted food from the bar, reliable schedules
Cons
It is a night job being a doorman.
The strath was a wonderful work place full of fun and vibrant people who all love to party! There is a great feeling of family and comunity with the building and without.
Pros
Half off lunch
Cons
Heavy plates
Great company all around. Management is fantastic and always available. Flexible with hours and understanding if you need to take time off. It has a fun but professional atmosphere. No complaints.
Pros
Meal allowance, great hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Strathcona Hotel?
I found that the staff and managers at the Strathcona Hotel to be very friendly and supportive. It is a great place to work!
Pros
staff discounts, benefits, tips
Cons
no knowlege of when you finish, busy days
I had a lot of opportunity at this establishment to develop my professional attitude and work with people on effectively satisfying our patrons. Management however, was somewhat inadequate when delivering important information. I had a lot of fun with my co-workers(managers included) but it was a job where the future possibilities were limited. I learned how to supervise effectively, work as a team, adapt to different personalities in the work place, utilize time management skills, and multi task under stressful circumstacnces. The hardest part of the job was the treatment received by drunk patrons that was often inappapropriate and dangerous at times.
I am a people person, working at The Strathcona Hotel on work with guests on a daily basis. I have learned a great deal of patience when dealing with upset or difficult guests. I have also expanded my knowledge of guests satisfactions, organization and critical thinking. My co-workers are great to work with, there in not one person I do not get along with.
Sometimes the hardest part of my job is trying to find a way to keep an upset guest happy, through experience I have been able to use the right phrases and options. When the guest leaves happy I know I have made a difference; that is the most satisfying part o fmy job :)

I have been working there since May 2012. The slow season is coming up; I would like a Full time job that I can rely on.
Pros
tips, good staff to work with
Cons
unreliable hours, late night hours