Strathcona County Employee Review

View all Strathcona County reviews

Good summer job for students
Concrete Finisher (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park2 October 2012
Generally the day would start with going to past sites where we poured concrete to remove and clean the concrete forms. If the weather was agreeable we would pour another site and stay to finish the concrete. If there was enough time in the day we would help excavate the next site and form it.
I learned how to manage some labourers I was in charge of when the leadhand was not on site. I learned concrete finishing skills so I could be left alone to finish them.
As it was a government job, productivity was not always the goal. Strange choices of what work should be done or how it should be done entered into the workday.
Co-workers were all fine. Many were students using it as a source of income during their months off, but enough full time staff were there to keep on-site job knowledge.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with management, while the most enjoyable part was the actual concrete finishing.
Pros
fairly good pay and job security.
Cons
frustrating management

Other Strathcona County Employee Reviews

A supportive work place, but know what you are getting into.
Recreation Attendant (paid) (Former Employee) –  KLC and EHLC31 March 2018
I have had 2 jobs with the County now, and I have had very different experiences with both. The first was as a program instructor for summer camps, and the work was what I expected: running summer camps for children ages 7-12. The management, however, was not good. The other job I had was as a facility attendant was not what I expected it to be. Based on the job posting, I was to set up rooms for birthday parties/bookings and to ensure that the parties/bookings would run smoothly. After getting the job and going through a 3 month training period, I learned that I was not doing what the posting said, but I was a janitor. Long story short, make sure you know what you are getting into when you go to the interviews and if you accept a job.
Gained Responsibility and Leadership Skills at Summer Camps
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 February 2018
Strathcona County provided an outstanding commitment to empower youth and give them a sense of responsibility while enjoying their summer too. The days seemed long but went by a lot quicker than I expected. Very chaotic workplace making you think on your feet and never get bored. I loved instructing and teaching kids new and old games and playing them as well.
Pros
Became a leader
Cons
Lacked a strong management team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strathcona County. Our community is ready to answer.

Strathcona County Reviews by Location