Strathcona County

Strathcona County Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews
This job was a Wonderful experience. I truly Loved it. It was the best job I ever had. I Only left it to move provinces and I miss the work and the people a lot.
Great place to begin a career in fitness, but little long term opportunities. Very relaxed work environment and a great staff. Tough interview process, but once you're in, you'll love it
I was engaged to help Strathcona better understand Cloud applications and their impact to IT Operations and other departments. I found everyone great to work with and would appreciate the opportunity to work with them again.
I love working there, I am a Fit Tech I and the management is very flexible and knowledgeable. They will do anything to make you feel safe and comfortable there. Great structure to work as well.
The people and atmosphere working with Strathcona County are great! I started working with Strathcona County as a volunteer in the Leaders in Training Program and now am a junior instructor for camps at Festival Place. Highly recommended!
I honestly love volunteering for Strathcona County. The organizers are cheerful and helpful, they always make you feel welcome and wanted. They value hard work and have great benefits
Pros
Free Lunch
I really like volunteering here! They made me feel really comfortable and welcome, I feel like I learnt a lot. My teammates and I worked really well together
Pros
Free Lunch and Swag
Working for Strathcona County is an excellent investment in your career. Many departments, like Family and Community Services, are leaders in innovation who inspire projects and initiatives that provide a rewarding role in the community. They offer a competitive pay structure with healthy benefit package. The leadership and culture continues to evolve in a positive direction so most staff seem happy, fulfilled and a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement and happy staff
Cons
Many qualified applicants compete for these jobs
It was a volunteer thing, so i never got paid. But I learned a lot of new things! i got to work with children and learned how to work with other kids my age who were also doing the program.
It's a big organization so your experience is really going to depend on which department you work for. I'd avoid FCS. Management has a pretty bizarre take on "leadership" and think manipulation and bullying are valid leadership skills. Staff are wonderful, but often unhappy due to being victims of bullying. Very toxic environment.
Pros
Money, Benefits
Cons
manipulation and duplicity disguised as political acumen
Was a great place to receive first work experience. Received a certificate of completion and a letter of recommendation from youth coordinator. Lots of fun time spent with children. Internship program, so no pay. Leadership skills were greatly developed, often encouraged to step outside of my comfort zone. Advancement program that eventually leads to being an official head camp instructor. received daily feedback from head instructor.
Pros
Fun and easy
Cons
A lot of time spent with children, must be outgoing and comfortable in new situations
Sherwood Transit is a good place to work. But it is a stressful job ,having to be at your best at all times. It is a good job for retirees such as I. Typical day involves in safety checks ,insuring all machinery works. Report any problems while checking, or out on the road driving. Management does everything for training you to handle the tasks required of you. On the drive you deal with the public to insure they are happy with their experience while on the bus. The hardest part of the job is safety . To always be alert of yourself and the drivers on the road. Even though it is a public job, you can be alone to do the job.
Pros
I can take as many weeks off for my time to travel if I wish so.
Cons
Split shifts
Many of my coworkers are great. My manager is supportive and a shift has been made to further improve the culture. Some of the new managers are green and need to understand cooperation and team work. Other wise a great place to work. Good Pay, benefits and Work life balance.... all good.
Pros
Almost all aspects
Cons
New managers
Loved the job and co-workers but management did not listen and was always a page behind. However, excellent staff made up for management shortfall. It is a challenging environment and will stretch your skills but sometimes the politics delay success.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Bad managers from 70s
I volunteered for Canada day and overall the environment was great although they put too many volunteers at our booth for the afternoon so it got a little hectic later in the day.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Not the most organized
I like working for the county but the lack of raises, growth opportunities and job security is not very high. Also, they do not treat all of their employees equally and don't have a great system of who gets more hours over others.
Stratcona county has been a great company to work for. My personal job is very flexible and my supervisors are amazing! They offer lots of additional training as well.
Pros
Flexible, ability to advance
Cons
My current job isn't full time
worked on asphalt crew was hot in summer but allot of awesome people to work with had a great time but wanted to try something new so I left would recommend working here
Pros
Stead job
The hours of work are not good, if you have a life you will hate the job, but if you have no life you will be fine. Everyday you will have a different shift. You could start at 6 am one day & 3 pm the next. You work all stat holidays & weekends. The pay is good, but you don’t always get a lot of hours.
Pros
You are treat very good
Cons
Hours are random & shifts are different everyday
I have had 2 jobs with the County now, and I have had very different experiences with both. The first was as a program instructor for summer camps, and the work was what I expected: running summer camps for children ages 7-12. The management, however, was not good. The other job I had was as a facility attendant was not what I expected it to be. Based on the job posting, I was to set up rooms for birthday parties/bookings and to ensure that the parties/bookings would run smoothly. After getting the job and going through a 3 month training period, I learned that I was not doing what the posting said, but I was a janitor. Long story short, make sure you know what you are getting into when you go to the interviews and if you accept a job.
Strathcona County provided an outstanding commitment to empower youth and give them a sense of responsibility while enjoying their summer too. The days seemed long but went by a lot quicker than I expected. Very chaotic workplace making you think on your feet and never get bored. I loved instructing and teaching kids new and old games and playing them as well.
Pros
Became a leader
Cons
Lacked a strong management team