Strathcona County Employee Reviews

Volunteer
Canada Day Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 October 2018
I volunteered for Canada day and overall the environment was great although they put too many volunteers at our booth for the afternoon so it got a little hectic later in the day.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Not the most organized
Fun but lack of raise and advancement opportunities
Fitness Technician I (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 August 2018
I like working for the county but the lack of raises, growth opportunities and job security is not very high. Also, they do not treat all of their employees equally and don't have a great system of who gets more hours over others.
Great work environment
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 July 2018
Stratcona county has been a great company to work for. My personal job is very flexible and my supervisors are amazing! They offer lots of additional training as well.
Pros
Flexible, ability to advance
Cons
My current job isn't full time
Review
Heavy Equipment Operator/ Truck Driver 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 July 2018
worked on asphalt crew was hot in summer but allot of awesome people to work with had a great time but wanted to try something new so I left would recommend working here
Pros
Stead job
Specialized transit driver
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 May 2018
The hours of work are not good, if you have a life you will hate the job, but if you have no life you will be fine. Everyday you will have a different shift. You could start at 6 am one day & 3 pm the next. You work all stat holidays & weekends. The pay is good, but you don’t always get a lot of hours.
Pros
You are treat very good
Cons
Hours are random & shifts are different everyday
A supportive work place, but know what you are getting into.
Recreation Attendant (paid) (Former Employee) –  KLC and EHLC31 March 2018
I have had 2 jobs with the County now, and I have had very different experiences with both. The first was as a program instructor for summer camps, and the work was what I expected: running summer camps for children ages 7-12. The management, however, was not good. The other job I had was as a facility attendant was not what I expected it to be. Based on the job posting, I was to set up rooms for birthday parties/bookings and to ensure that the parties/bookings would run smoothly. After getting the job and going through a 3 month training period, I learned that I was not doing what the posting said, but I was a janitor. Long story short, make sure you know what you are getting into when you go to the interviews and if you accept a job.
Gained Responsibility and Leadership Skills at Summer Camps
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 February 2018
Strathcona County provided an outstanding commitment to empower youth and give them a sense of responsibility while enjoying their summer too. The days seemed long but went by a lot quicker than I expected. Very chaotic workplace making you think on your feet and never get bored. I loved instructing and teaching kids new and old games and playing them as well.
Pros
Became a leader
Cons
Lacked a strong management team
Productive, team atmosphere
Enviroservice Attendant (Eco-Station) (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB15 January 2018
Working for Strathcona County has provided lots of opportunities to develop skills and team work practices. The team atmosphere is friendly and allows for progress.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
management is unorganized
Terrible Place
Administration Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 November 2017
Worked here terrible place management on certain departments and HR are not good people, get you in there treat you like a queen/king then when they are done with you chuck you out like a piece of garbage no warning, no notice basically getl out! I would never work for this company ever again!!!
Pure Awesomeness
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 July 2017
the wages are killer! The people are killer! the work is killer! This place is the bomb. If you get on with them make sure you stay. Nothing compares to these guys.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing

Want to know more about Strathcona County?

Ask a question
Career Killer
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 May 2017
What an abhorrent place to work.Where to even start with how horrible the culture is here. Management does not provide any opportunity for growth or provide the necessary experience to succeed at all. They play favorites and bullying of employees is practically routine around here. There is constant rivalries between departments so you'll be treated terribly just because of what department you are in. Management ignores any concerns you have. Working at Strathcona County will ruin your career.
Pros
Cons
Poor company culture, poor management, unsatisfying work
"Cozy, government job"
PDS (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB26 April 2017
A place that is not easy to get a job with, but once "you're in, you're in" sort of environment. Wouldn't say advancement is easy, a lot of competition.
Certain roles are quite "thankless", no recognition for doing your job well. Only pointed out when something isn't up to their standards.
A lot of favoritism from management.
Pros
All stat holidays off
Cons
Low respect shown
Great Employer
Community Peace Officer Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 February 2017
Excellent place to work. They provide great supports for their employees and help create a good work and home life balance for all of their employees.
Amazing place to work with the potential of growth!
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 January 2017
One of the best companies I have worked for. The ability to grow as a person and professional has been incredible in only 3 months. Everyone is very welcoming and encouraging. I'm excited for my future here.
Pros
pention. growth.
Firefighting for strathcona county
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 January 2017
I deal with many labor duties such a hauling hose and carrying around tools and also dealing with medical calls as much as I can I've been on quite a few fire calls as well and dealt with many brush fires
Pros
working long hours and doing many strenuous jobs on shift
Cons
No cons
Very fun place to work
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 December 2016
A typical day can be removing snow or fixing road works. I learned allot about what it takes to maintain the roads and info-structure of the city. The management can be hard at some times but very fair and willing to hear you out if you have a problem. The people that work there are amazing and make you feel great to be working there
Pros
great pay
Cons
can be crazy hours
Productive and Fun place to work
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 November 2016
They trust me. Im in control of my own responsibilities. They flexible. The benefits are great especially the healthcare. People are nice. Great teams to work with.
Ok Job
Recycle Attendant (Former Employee) –  Recycle12 October 2016
Dealing with the Public all day long who are rude and ignorant to staff constantly, a boss who doesn't care .Kept adding more to our job descripton but not to the paycheque, Boss constantly nit picking . No Benefits. Favoritism . Co workers for the most part were good and team players. A few were just there for the paycheque and should not be in the position they are in . Best part of the job is meeting new people who actually want to Recycle and are not just there to Dump Garbage . Wages do not justify the BS you have to put up with from the public also the low wages compared to the City of Edmonton wages for this job start at $ 28.00 per hour.
Pros
Work hours were decent
Cons
Dealing with Rude People
Productive and fun workplace
water Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 March 2016
Safety meeting first thing in the morning. Daily assignments. Priority of appointments . Hardest part of the job is dealing with frustrated Home owners. The most enjoyable part , having a successful day installing water meters.
excellent
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park AB23 April 2015
talking with constituents, co-workers and private and public agencies. Taking part in corporate wellness programs.
Pros
office with walls, windows and door
Cons
cafeteria food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strathcona County. Our community is ready to answer.

Strathcona County Reviews by Location