Strathcona County

Strathcona County Employee Reviews

Nice people but discouraging management culture

Relax working style, nice people, fair paid, reasonable workload. The culture is of old-style, managers/directors do what they want to without respecting much on professional processes (e.g. project management). Staff complains about systems a lot, but it is always the processes/culture problem instead of the tools, systems, or software. The staff keeps complaining about the existing thing without taking real action to change. And when changes proposed, managers/directors always say the company is not ready.

Pros

Edo

Cons

Old Style Culture

Best employer on earth but stifling management

Just like my title says, working for Strathcona County is the absolute best place to work for on the entire planet. Like any job, there are certainly some frustrating moments, but there is really nowhere else like the County. They treat everyone with the upmost respect and they really do let you be who you are, and they work you using your best strengths. I’ve worked a lot of places in my life, and this is the only one where coming to work never felt like “work”. I hope to one day be fortunate enough to get a permanent job and retire here, albeit obtaining permanent positions are not easy to come by, even if you are blatantly the best candidate for the department—which I suppose would be my main critique. IMO, management should be proactively looking to secure talent and look for opportunities of growth, not stifle it. Exceptional performance should be rewarded, often times doing bare minimum is equivalent to final results, with relation to advancement perspectives. With that said, work life is relaxed, if you don’t finish today you can finish the rest tomorrow. Pay is above everyone else and staff is phenomenal. Come to the County if you are lucky enough to, you simply will not regret it.

Pros

Relaxed environment, money

Cons

Infrequent hiring

Great foot-in-the-door job

Great place to begin a career in fitness, but little long term opportunities. Very relaxed work environment and a great staff. Tough interview process, but once you're in, you'll love it

Really enjoyed working with all the departments

I was engaged to help Strathcona better understand Cloud applications and their impact to IT Operations and other departments. I found everyone great to work with and would appreciate the opportunity to work with them again.

Great environment and great people

I love working there, I am a Fit Tech I and the management is very flexible and knowledgeable. They will do anything to make you feel safe and comfortable there. Great structure to work as well.

Excellent experience

This job was a Wonderful experience. I truly Loved it. It was the best job I ever had. I Only left it to move provinces and I miss the work and the people a lot.

The people and atmosphere working with Strathcona County are great! I started working with Strathcona County as a volunteer in the Leaders in Training Program and now am a junior instructor for camps at Festival Place. Highly recommended!

Super Fun to Volunteer For

I honestly love volunteering for Strathcona County. The organizers are cheerful and helpful, they always make you feel welcome and wanted. They value hard work and have great benefits

Pros

Free Lunch

Lots of fun to work for, great atmosphere and teammates

I really like volunteering here! They made me feel really comfortable and welcome, I feel like I learnt a lot. My teammates and I worked really well together

Pros

Free Lunch and Swag

Rewarding career

Working for Strathcona County is an excellent investment in your career. Many departments, like Family and Community Services, are leaders in innovation who inspire projects and initiatives that provide a rewarding role in the community. They offer a competitive pay structure with healthy benefit package. The leadership and culture continues to evolve in a positive direction so most staff seem happy, fulfilled and a pleasure to work with.

Pros

Opportunities for advancement and happy staff

Cons

Many qualified applicants compete for these jobs

Voluntering

It was a volunteer thing, so i never got paid. But I learned a lot of new things! i got to work with children and learned how to work with other kids my age who were also doing the program.

Wonderful Co-Workers. Awful Management.

It's a big organization so your experience is really going to depend on which department you work for. I'd avoid FCS. Management has a pretty bizarre take on "leadership" and think manipulation and bullying are valid leadership skills. Staff are wonderful, but often unhappy due to being victims of bullying. Very toxic environment.

Pros

Money, Benefits

Cons

manipulation and duplicity disguised as political acumen

Amusing and supportive environment

Was a great place to receive first work experience. Received a certificate of completion and a letter of recommendation from youth coordinator. Lots of fun time spent with children. Internship program, so no pay. Leadership skills were greatly developed, often encouraged to step outside of my comfort zone. Advancement program that eventually leads to being an official head camp instructor. received daily feedback from head instructor.

Pros

Fun and easy

Cons

A lot of time spent with children, must be outgoing and comfortable in new situations

Overall a good place to work

Sherwood Transit is a good place to work. But it is a stressful job ,having to be at your best at all times. It is a good job for retirees such as I. Typical day involves in safety checks ,insuring all machinery works. Report any problems while checking, or out on the road driving. Management does everything for training you to handle the tasks required of you. On the drive you deal with the public to insure they are happy with their experience while on the bus. The hardest part of the job is safety . To always be alert of yourself and the drivers on the road. Even though it is a public job, you can be alone to do the job.

Pros

I can take as many weeks off for my time to travel if I wish so.

Cons

Split shifts

Very good place to work

Many of my coworkers are great. My manager is supportive and a shift has been made to further improve the culture. Some of the new managers are green and need to understand cooperation and team work. Other wise a great place to work. Good Pay, benefits and Work life balance.... all good.

Pros

Almost all aspects

Cons

New managers

Fun but management is a downer

Loved the job and co-workers but management did not listen and was always a page behind. However, excellent staff made up for management shortfall. It is a challenging environment and will stretch your skills but sometimes the politics delay success.

Pros

Good co-workers

Cons

Bad managers from 70s

Volunteer

I volunteered for Canada day and overall the environment was great although they put too many volunteers at our booth for the afternoon so it got a little hectic later in the day.

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

Not the most organized

Fun but lack of raise and advancement opportunities

I like working for the county but the lack of raises, growth opportunities and job security is not very high. Also, they do not treat all of their employees equally and don't have a great system of who gets more hours over others.

Great work environment

Stratcona county has been a great company to work for. My personal job is very flexible and my supervisors are amazing! They offer lots of additional training as well.

Pros

Flexible, ability to advance

Cons

My current job isn't full time

Review

worked on asphalt crew was hot in summer but allot of awesome people to work with had a great time but wanted to try something new so I left would recommend working here

Pros

Stead job

Specialized transit driver

The hours of work are not good, if you have a life you will hate the job, but if you have no life you will be fine. Everyday you will have a different shift. You could start at 6 am one day & 3 pm the next. You work all stat holidays & weekends. The pay is good, but you don’t always get a lot of hours.

Pros

You are treat very good

Cons

Hours are random & shifts are different everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strathcona County. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement