StorageMart

StorageMart Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
Fantastic people to work with, upper management such as regional manager and Canadian VP are knowledgeable and approachable.
Shirts, hats, gloves and coats are provided after probationary period.

Benefits are good. Employee discounts on rental units and merchandise.

As with any job it is what you make it. If you want it to be fun and enjoyable, be fun and enjoyable.
Pros
Community involvement with charities, employee discounts, great clients and co-workers, bonuses
Cons
large properties need lots of attention, pay rate
15 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you and the hard work you put in every day!
Best culture, best leadership, best managers.
everyone works the right way.

It has 73 locations, people work together as a team. Professionalism at its best.
Good job for the starters, excellent management with enough benefits. This job thought me basic skills in a lot of areas where i am lacking.
The hardest part of job is shoveling.

Best part of job is 0% stress.

It is fun working with them.
5 March 2020
Thanks for leaving a review! We're lucky to have employees like you and are so happy to have you as part of our StorageMart family!
I was Facility /Store Manager. I leaned how to sell moving supplies; how to rent proper size unit to a customer. It was not hard to keep the lockers clean, and in good condition. Regional manager was awesome, and supported my learning. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet new people. Cleaning the snow was hard in the winter since my facility has mostly drive - up units. Landscaping was fun to do in the spring, summer and fall. Well paid job with overtime and bonuses for selling moving supplies.
31 July 2019
Thanks for taking the time to leave this excellent review -- we really appreciate the positive feedback! We always love hearing how awesome our staff is and are very happy to hear that you had a great Regional Manager! Thanks for including us in your career path.
The management and HR are very exclusive and judgmental. They have a clique in the Durham area and they are not nice people. It is an extremely stressful and toxic environment for both workers and customers. The company expects its workers do do a lot, take on a lot of responsibilities and not pay very well for it all- light duties include sweeping and washing floors inside every building, as well as every rental unit once vacated, shoveling snow, gardening, minor repairs, washing every door and wall and bathroom maintenance, inventory, banking, sales, collections and garbage removal is also required. All for minimum wage.
benefits
Cons
everything else
15 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We know our Store Manager and Assistant Manager positions can be demanding and we make every effort to completely and accurately describe the jobs throughout the interview process, including the less than glamorous aspects. While the job may not always be glamorous, we offer many perks to help make those things not so bad, including free uniforms, full benefits, work/life balance, great 401k, etc.
Typical day is sales calls, collections calls, cleaning units, take payments, security checks and bank deposits. Culture is one of "sell, sell, sell" even if customer can't afford unit, or yells at you. Will always take customer side and not care about employees well being. Management in Calgary is very poor, argumentative and uncaring.
Pros
Inside and outside, work alone a lot
Cons
No room to grow, employees are replaceable
15 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We care about our employees and give them the training and tools they need for when things get tough. We do have an assertive sales model and stress this aspect of the job throughout the interview and training process. We are very proud of our team and all of the hard work they put in every day.
I would prefer not to really express my opinion and feeling on this company , other than they say one thing and do another .
Asst. manager position is a glorified storage locker cleaner ..
Pros
staff great to work with
Cons
poor management in Calgary
15 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We know our Store Manager and Assistant Manager positions can be demanding and we make every effort to completely and accurately describe the jobs throughout the interview process, including the less than glamourous aspects. While the job may not always be glamorous, we offer many perks to help make those things not so bad, including free uniforms, full benefits, great 401k, etc.
Pros:
Easy Job

Laid back atmostphere

great if you're desperate for work

Cons:

Horrible Pay

Rodent infested facilities

Backstabby Staff

Overall:

2/5. no room for advancement, thus a lack of morale across the company nation wide.
15 February 2019
We’re sorry that this was your experience with StorageMart. Did you report these issues to management? If we were aware, maybe we could have helped.
A typical day at work is quiet for the most part. Unless its the end or beginning of a month. I have learned how to do some electrical wiring of industrial lights and motion sensors.
25 February 2019
Thank you for your response! We’re glad you’ve been able to learn some new skills and we appreciate your hard work.
You are expected to:
Rent units, do collection calls, do auctions, clean units (sweep floors) which involves also cleaning unit doors and if someone left things behind when they moved out you have to move all of these things to the dumpster on the property. You have to break things apart and dump them. You also weep hallways and outside areas. Pick up garbage from the driving areas. Dealing with people trying to live in a unit and paint if needed (no special clothing provided). During the winter you are expected to run the snow blower in front of outside units and after that shovel remaining snow from the front of these units, which are a lot! All of this without special clothing provided. The company does not give you a jacket nor boots. When you spend half a day cleaning snow the company should give you something to wear, at least a thick jacket for outside work. The pay is minimum wage with commission on top, but you won't make much as you are most of the time outside working. You clean the office floors and the washroom. You also have to bring inventory into the office. All of this hard work, with so much dust around while having to wear black and staying clean so upper management doesn't complain. My store closed during the weekend, but if you are the assistant manager at a store that is open on weekends the assistant manager works most of them. They call you assistant manager to make it sound important, but I spent most of times cleaning. There are only two people in every location, manager and assistant manager. Who do you think will do most of the back breaking jobs?
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Minimum wage, assistant manager is expected to clean washrooms, shovel snow, work weekends, upper management not flexible, little chance of advancement
15 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do provide workwear for our employees – heavy winter coats, jackets, hats, scarves, gloves, as well as provide reimbursement for maintenance boots to protect employees. Our schedules rotate to make things as fair as possible for both Store Managers and Assistant Managers. Our Store Manager and Assistant Manager positions can be demanding, but we are very transparent about that before we offer anyone the position. In our interviews, we clearly go over all expectations, including the less than glamourous aspects. StorageMart rewards hard workers with amazing benefits, like our 300% RSP/401k match!
j aimais les journée bien remplis, je m améliorais et j'avais un sentiment de devoir accompli
Pros
latitude décisionnel
Cons
manque de supports
5 March 2020
Merci d'avoir pris le temps de laisser un avis! Nous apprécions les commentaires.
I was able to work with some great people here and was able to learn a lot. The company does a lot for the community and is clean safe environment. I really enjoyed working there
25 February 2019
Thank you for your review! We are very proud of our Store It Forward program, we aim to help as many communities as we can.
I rent storage space, collect rent, keep the store stocked with packing supplies and handle customer issues. I have become much better at multi-tasking, organizing and prioritizing what needs to be done. I am in and out of the office all day which is very enjoyable on a nice day to spend time outside. It can get a bit crazy at times since I spend a lot of time working alone and you can't be in two places at once!! In all honesty, this is the most satisfying job I have had, and the majority of the satisfaction is the great management staff. My store manager and regional manager are both great people who are VERY open to helping you solve any problem that comes up. The only downside is the hourly wage, it should be more for all the responsibility and work... especially when a lot of the time I am working alone.
Pros
Work hours and great management.
Cons
Pay is not that great.
25 February 2019
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate you and all your hard work! Thanks for making our team great!
No salary increases, very stressful at times. They expect employees to be in different shoes all the time. Not an easy business to work in. I used to get only one Saturday off in the whole month.
Pros
Commission and benefits
25 February 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do annual reviews and award increase to deserving employees. Our stores are open up to 7 days/week and we need to provide staff on each of those days.
Ususally steady paced, most co workers are great. i learned the job quickly. some customers are very rude but i learned to deal in a professional manor. the hardest part is being away from home. my kids are starting to act out and my oldest has been getting very sick tot he point its very concerning with her ongoing medical problems. i need a work from home job to be able to take better care of my children.
Cons
long, late hours at times
25 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback. Our stores are open in the evening hours to accommodate our customer base. We hope things improve with your family!
Opening the cash. Calling customers to reserve storage space. Processing payments and invoices, doing collection / reminder calls.
The hardest part was using the outdated computer system and trying to merge it with Microsoft products.

I learned more about Microsoft word and excel, also improved my typing skills.

The best part was dealing with the customers.
15 February 2019
Thank you very much for your response. Our IT team works hard to get our systems as up to date as we can. We’re glad that you were able to improve your skill sets and we hope it has helped you!
typical storage atmosphere setting,privilege to work alongside good-work-ethics people,learned the storage space auction industry,hardest part of the job is maintenance of outdoor facility,most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with an assortment of characters from customers
Pros
location equipped with fridge and lunch area
Cons
wages not enough, does not equal amount of work done to keep facility looking and running extraordinary
25 February 2019
Thank you very much for your response. We know our Store Manager and Assistant Manager positions can be demanding, but we offer many perks to help make things not so bad. We provide uniforms for our store staff, including heavy winter coats! Extended medical benefits, a great RSP, and with each location only staffed with one manager and one assistant manager, this leaves more commissions to supplement your income!