Stong's Market Employee Reviews

A nice place to work if the customers weren’t nightmares
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 May 2019
Coworkers were great and made my experience at stong’s pleasurable. However, customers you dealt with made it hard for me to stay. Prices in the store are higher, so management expects you to give great customer service even if the customers are absolute nightmares. The job wasn’t hard, there was some days where you were expected to do a lot and it did get overwhelming, you’re expected to work really hard for the pay you get. It is union based so yes, you get fees deducted from your paycheck but you have easy access to your union rules so you can enforce them.
Pros
10% off, 1$ coffee, union based, full and part time hours
Cons
extremely high expectations from customers and management
Never ever accept salary pay just go with hourly or else they take advantage of you
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Dunbar and North Vancouver20 November 2018
If ever you get hired as part of the management of stongs, never ever accept a salary pay. Instead insist on the hourly pay. If you ever go on salary, they expect you to work more than 8hrs a day and your days off they call you to come to work. Weekly schedule of shifts is always subject to change and you dont have a life. They control you. The position for store manager at stongs is a risky position. No store manager last for more than 2 years. In my time, 2 store managers have been fired from work. I left stongs cuz the store manager that time treated me soo bad. He let me do things that i cant and always makes me feel guilty that i am part of management. I cant stand him at all.. Good thing he got fired few months after i quit.
Pros
some nice coworkers, very helpful
Cons
Bad management
Don't waste your time
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 November 2018
Worst Company I have ever worked for.

- Poorly managed
- Never appreciated employees or department managers
- Asked employees that had worked for the company for a number of years to take a pay cut and took away benefits to open a second location which continues to be poorly managed.
- Never gave department managers budgets which lead to the company going into the red, turning to the aquilini group for assistance running and operating the company
- Worked for the company for over a year and never received any benefits, had to harass HR for months to get MSP coverage
- Underpaid and under appreciated for my hours worked running and managing my department
- Expected department managers to manage two Stong's locations without a pay raise (after promising to do so)
- Never praised by my improvements made to increase sales
Pros
Union based - job security
Cons
Poorly managed
i love working with people
Cashier/Online Shopper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2018
Hands-on experience helping customers with payment
Assist with product displays and pricing
Resolve customer complaints in a calm and friendly manner
I love interacting with people and making them feel special
I love working with different people learning new items, products
Hardest part is when not everyone is willing to help in situations and make the working enviroment
Pros
great bennifits