Stonehenge Therapeutic Community

Stonehenge Therapeutic Community Culture reviews

Great co-workers (team) and great to work with residents. Pay was not nearly enough, no benefits and no vacation. I was able to build some experience but wish I could have had a more active role in guest recovery.
Official response from Stonehenge Therapeutic Community
10 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback, and for sharing your time with us! We agree that our staff are amazing and we appreciate everything they do to provide support to our clients on their recovery journey.As an agency, we strive to show our appreciation in many ways. We provide above average vacation entitlements, employee benefits for many roles (including for some part time roles and overnight staff), paid training opportunities and more. If you'd like to share suggestions on how we can continue to improve the overall experience for staff, please connect with us directly at hr@stonehengetc.com
I am a current employee of STC and my experience as a whole has been very rewarding. The work culture is healthy and there is a high level of support from both colleagues and management. STC offers their employees the opportunity to learn through a variety of on-going training and one-on-one supervision. It is a rewarding experience to work with individuals with complex and challenging needs.
Pros
Management, Training, Staff Environment
I am a current employee at Stonehenge Therapeutic Community and have worked there for one year. STC promotes and encourages there employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. The work culture is healthy and positive. I feel supported by the people I work with including management. During my time at STC my knowledge has continued to expand and develop. I truly appreciate the high level of supervision that management provides to their employees. STC also offers numerous training opportunities during the work week which has really helped enhance my skills as a social worker. I feel very welcomed and appreciated by management at STC. I have been able to grow within the agency which is something that management has helped me achieve. The most difficult part about my role has been having to carry a higher caseload of clients due to staff turnover. Although, management is great at interviewing new candidates on a timely basis. Currently, this is not an issue with the SAMH team as we have a full team. The most enjoyable part of my role is working for an agency that demonstrates the same values/beliefs as my own. This is not always possible or easy to find in all work environments.
This facility chews up employees. The turnover is very very high. Most of the senior staff are young and inexperienced and are themselves overworked. The part time staff are overworked to the point of exhaustion. The good staff end up quitting soon after being hired because they get burned out. Instead of being appreciated, the staff who put in the most are heavily scrutinized. The therapists approach the facility as a therapeutic community, but the management approach the facility as a halfway house which is very confusing for clients and staff. If you choose to work here, because the work itself is challenging and very rewarding, I would recommend only working as little as possible. Gain the experience but remain distant. Don't bother getting to know your coworkers because chances are they won't be there next week.
Pros
Experience building, learning opportunities
Cons
Work schedule, management, culture
Official response from Stonehenge Therapeutic Community
20 February 2019
Hello, thank you for your comment. We agree that when we are short staffed, it can put additional pressure on our staff teams. We are grateful for the dedication our staff team shows by working extra hours. Our Leadership team is working hard to restore the balance by expanding our staff teams, and increasing the amount of vacation/time off our part time staff have access to. If you would like to share any further insights, please feel free to confidentially email us at hr@stonehengetc.com.
Management cannot keep employees. They will state that its because other surrounding agencies pay better so therefore its hard to keep staff, perhaps this is a part it. Largely its because there is a terrible culture of management, if you don't fit inside the box, they kick you out. If we were motivated by money we wouldn't be here in the first place. We are motivated by positive regard and a sense of being valued as professionals.