Stewart Homes Employee Reviews

Worst job I've ever had.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 June 2019
The management here is the worst I have ever seen anywhere. I have never worked for a more heartless group of people. The management here should be absolutely ashamed of what they do but the saddest thing is that they don't care at all. All they care about is money and they don't care about their staff or the children at all. Some of the managers here are truly evil people and I could no longer stomach what I was seeing everyday at work.
Amazing children, terrible management and staff
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 June 2019
I absolutely loved working with children while I was employed here, but that was literally the only benefit. The staff gossip all day long and do not respect one another or work together. Supervisors and management do not care about their employees or their residents and only care about the money. I learned a lot while working with the children here but unfortunately that was not nearly enough to make me stay. The pay is disgraceful and the scheduling is the most disorganized thing I have ever experienced. They do not take your availability into account and you are also forced to have two on call shifts a week which you are "not allowed to refuse" to work, even if these shift are on your scheduled days off (because of other jobs, school, appointments etc) they will tell you to come into work and if you don't you get in trouble. This place has shown me exactly what I do NOT want to be like when I get older and work in this industry again. These residents deserve so much more than Stewart Homes is willing to offer.
Pros
The residents
Direct care worker
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON3 June 2019
I personally loved working with all the clients. They have a huge impact on your life. Caring for them, doing fun activities together, advocating for them to have the best life and care.
The issue is management. Unfortunately you are forced run short staffed most the time. There's never any staff. The turn overrate is so high because of how poorly staff are treated. They break rules when convient for them, it's a double standard. All staff are" replaceable" as per them you're just another number.
Another issue is staff themselves. They are some great passionate staff. However, they hire a lot of international students or younger staff who can be very immature. Some dont understand English very well, some dont care about the clients and it's just " a job" to them. Some are neglectful.
Pros
The clients and caring for them
Cons
Poor management
Caring work environment
DIRECT CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 May 2019
The peer staff, management are all very friendly to work with. Everyone is helpful with duties or learning about new activities with the clients. If you have a hard-working, compassionate heart Stewart Homes is for you.
Life at Stewart Homes
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON2 March 2019
Management is NOT concerned about employee mental, emotional, and physical health. Management is NOT concerned about being able to balance life outside of work. Although they will tell you they are, they will then go behind your back, and arrange your schedule in a way that forces you to have to choose, between appointments, classes, and working. If you take time out for your health, you can be guaranteed that when you come back, they will make you suffer for it. Their priorities are their paycheck, instead of the residents, and quality of life for the residents and the employees. They underpay for the amount and difficulty of work that they demand.
Pros
The rare opportunities of taking the residents out to participate in community events
Cons
Everything else
Awful place to work
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 February 2019
Horrible, horrible management. Working with the kids was awesome but this was not a good place to work at all. I'd rather go back to working in fast food again than going back here.
Pros
I loved working with the kids
Cons
Everything else, especially the management
The worst management I've ever experienced
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 January 2019
This was the worst job I've ever experienced for several reasons. The pay for full time is laughably bad to the point where it's almost impossible to live off of just this one job but at the same time, the scheduling is so bad too, that management makes it almost impossible for you to hold a second job on the side. Your hours and schedule are constantly changing and you never know when your oncall shifts are going to be scheduled for because your supervisor just assigns them wherever with no regard to your availability. You never fully know what you're working until the schedules get posted and the schedules usually get posted very late, like only a few weeks before. You dont get any pay for oncalls unless you get called in and you are oncall for the entire day and night. What's even worse is that when you're oncall, you're oncall for every house. Let's say you're oncall for your main house but another house is really short staffed and already used their own oncall staff for the day, you can get called in for another house with no notice and be expected to work with a house full of residents that you've never met before and be given zero training on. This happens alot and that includes getting called in for overnights at other houses. Also, they tell you that you're hired to work at 1 particular house but staff are constantly getting pulled from one house to work at another regardless of whether you feel comfortable or not, because the agency is so short staffed. The workload is very heavy and we are never shown any respect or appreciation for anything. Management doesn't care  more... about their staff at all and that's why everyone keeps leaving. Turnover is extremely bad and being short staffed is always a problem. Residents that are supposed to get one-to-one support often don't receive it and are stuck getting paired with other residents and aren't getting the attention they should be getting. Working here was such a stressful mess for staff and it's so sad because the kids deserve so much better but sadly the management here just doesn't care about the staff at all. You try to voice concerns to management and it never goes anywhere. Our voices are always ignored.  less
Pros
The residents
Cons
Worst management you will find anywhere
Terrible supervisors and mangement
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 December 2018
The supervisors and mangement here are terrible and they make this job very stressful. They don't care about the staff and show no appreciation for us. The scheduling here is really bad. They tell you that you have a set rotation/fixed schedule but this is not true. Supervisors constantly change shifts and they do so without notifiying or asking you first. For instance, let's say your Tuesday shift is supposed to be 2-9 every week, one week your supervisor will just change it and schedule you for a 9-9 that day instead and they won't tell you first. There's no consideration at all about whether you may have another job you're working at that morning (and most staff are working a second job because the pay is so bad here). So they tell you that you're going to have a set schedule but that's not true, it's a complete lie. The on-calls are horrible as well and you're on-call for the whole day INCLUDING overnight. You don't get paid for on-calls unless you get called in and you have no control over where you're on-calls get scheduled, the supervisors just schedule them wherever works for them. You commonly get on-call shifts on your weekend off. Even worse, you can get on-call shifts scheduled the day before a vacation day. Let's say you booked a day off for something, they can give you an on-call the day before your vacation day which means there's a risk of getting called in for an overnight the day before and have it ruin your day off. This has happened several times! Turnover is extremely bad because the staff are fed up of the management and fed up of being overworked and underpaid  more... and the residents aren't getting the care they should be getting. There are so many times where the houses are understaffed and residents that are supposed to be getting 1:1 staffing aren't actually getting it and are being paired up with other residents. It's so sad because the residents are all amazing and they're all so sweet but management and scheduling just make this job awful to work at.  less
Pros
The clients
Cons
The management
Very stressful job for very little pay.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON20 November 2018
I loved the clients and I loved working with them but management was awful. This was a very stressful job. We have so much work and so much responsiblity and yet, the pay is awful. We were so underpaid for what we did here. Also, management shows no respect and no appreciation for anything. Management didn't support us at all and they never took concerns from staff seriously. They flatout lie in job postings about having every other weekend off, this is NOT true. Very often, you will get an on-call shift on your weekend off. (and you don't get paid for on-call shifts unless you get called in) Turnover here is also very high and they're always short staffed which meant that the clients often didn't get the attention and care they should be getting. Everyone keeps quitting because the envrionment is so stressful and all the staff are overworked and underappreciated. It's so sad because the clients are so wonderful and I was so happy to work with them and take care of them but management just made this job unbearable.
Pros
The clients are wonderful.
Cons
Absolutely adore the children but very disorganized.
Direct Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 October 2018
I personally only worked there for the experience of the children because you won't find this kind of home anywhere else. Somedays it was a struggle to go into work but thinking about who I was working with ( staff in my house were amazing and worked well together) and I got to see the children is what encouraged me to go. Management is horrible. They say "there never to busy to deal with stuff".. but they really are to busy to deal with stuff. The Children are the ones suffering, supervisors don't preplan stuff or don't make sure they have the right size clothes that fit and staff bug them so much that staff usually go out and use their own money to buy the kids new clothes and never get refunded. Grocerys are sometimes a few days late getting them and we run out of food to make proper meals. They don't pay staff to be on call unless you get called in and you go. So no one ever wants to be on call and they call in on their on call. They are weeks behind putting out the schedules and then once it's out have to make a million changes because they either messed up or forgot to schedule people and dont realize till the day of and struggle to find people to cover the shifts. They have a very high turnover due to all of these issues especially the pay. For part time and full time you dont make a lot. They expect people to have post secondary education which we all paid a lot of money for but only paying us 1.81 more then minimum wage for part time. If they were paying more money they would have a better turnover. Oh and get yourselves some new dishwashers.. there is mold growing  more... in them and staff have cleaned it more than once and wont go away, Get stainless steal might be cleaner. Management you should maybe listen to some of these reviews and change some of the procedures on how you guys do stuff. You are losing out on amazing staff who really care about the children.  less
Pros
Adorable and great staff in the house
Cons
Management, disorganized and pay
Residents amazing. Management not so much.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 October 2018
Very hard work for very little pay. Management was the worse. Don't care about their staff. Only thing that keeps you there is the residents and their families.
Good Experience, Awful Management
Direct Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 August 2018
Stewart homes is a great place to get some experience. However, the management team has gone downhill and doesn't seem to care about the individuals they employ at all. Their turnover rate is very high because people don't want to stay very long because of the management. The quality of care for the children in going down because the management can't keep staff and the children who have 1on 1 funding often don't receive it. The kids are amazing and I love each and every one of them, but due to the poor management I am not excited to go to work.
Pros
Amazing Children & Adolescents
Cons
Poor Management
It's like going back to high school
AON awake overnight (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 August 2018
Coworkers are like children, always crying about something but never doing anything about it. House supervisors are non-existent when it comes to on site attendence and lack professionalism. Horizontal violence run s rampant across the ranks and clicks are numerous and involve management and supervisors. So either your in a click or on your own. Staff are interested in doing the bare minimal and are out for themselves. So when it comes to thinking about applying here the only advice I can offer is that you should think before you jump in to working at Stewart home's.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of professionalism, no supervision and attitudes are immature
Hard work, poor pay. No appreciation for senior staff
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 June 2018
This company encourages high turnover and inconsistentcy in staffing. The residents have different people coming in and out of their lives all the time because the company pushes out senior staff and encourages turnover. Upper management have no idea how unhappy staff are and how the constant turnover greatly affects the clients in care. It is heartbreaking to watch.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Poor pay, huge responsibility, crazy high turnover
Group Homes
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 December 2017
Stewart Homes is a dynamic and varied support network, offering care and support for all levels of ability. Group homes were well-run and sensitive to the needs of each individual, and while I worked there they expanded within Peterborough to create group homes for the most medically fragile of clients. I learned several skills as this was my first group home, including responding to behavioural needs, dispensing medications, meal and activity planning, caring for fully dependent clients including feeding with G-tubes and using mechanical lifts, etc.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
physically demanding
outings
Developmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON29 August 2017
i learned a lot of things , different cultures i mean I came here in canada to work and adopt lot of things and learn how to be strong and be confident
easy fun and very supportive
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 July 2017
great place to work the managers are very knowledgeable and have been around for years. They genuinely care about the staff love the picnics and monthly draws for staff.
Pros
picnics monthly draws getting paid to go out and do fun thing's
Cons
not enough hours and no OT
Kids are amazing, good place to work
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 June 2017
This is a good place to work, get to support amaxing residents and their families. Coworkers are good team. The managers care about staff and safety kids and maintain the houses nicely.
Pros
benefits. family picnic, get to go on outings with kids
Cons
on call
would never work here again.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 June 2017
Fake employees, bad management the only good thing about this place is the children you care for. Management is very unprofessional. I enjoyed outings with the kids. Worst management I've ever encountered in a work place very unprofessional and other people I've spoke to don't like it either.
Pros
outtings, can be laid back relaed work place
Cons
terrible managment worst ive ever encountered
Fun great expereince
Direct Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 May 2017
While I enjoyed working with the individuals and co-workers management was another story they were very disorganized never taking responsibilities for their actions as well unappreciative and unfair in who they want to recognize thus creating a very toxic and stressful environment.

Experience was great but only regrets the lack of respect from management. Too many cooks in the kitchen
Pros
Great Experience working with the individuals
Cons
Needs improvements management too complex as well toxic