Steve Madden Employee Reviews

Stressful
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada9 May 2018
No life balance, upper management is not helpful, over promising under deliver.
I honestly loved my job at first and as the year goes by I feel like I don’t have any other life and it became so stressful that I had to go see a doctor and diagnosed with anxiety. As a store manager they have high expectations which is great but they also put you on commission with low base that you do not have time to train and develop when your only focus is sales.
Pros
Trendy shoes and discount
Cons
Commission based, upper management, environment, stressful
Would not recommend...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC30 April 2018
Very poorly managed, only advantage is the discount. Other than that, the salary is far too low, the hours are unstable, management is incompetent and your hard work will never even be noticed. Avoid working for SM.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours, salary, management...
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 February 2018
Steve Madden is a fun and relaxed place to work. The management is understanding and it is easy to take time off if need be. However it is minimal hours,
Passion for fashion
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  BC26 January 2018
If you love fashion and flexible with your schedule this is where you should apply. If you are a shoe lover this is for you. If you love the retail industry, shoes are the way to go.
Fun place to work but DM's and RM's are terrible
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 December 2017
Honestly, the job is fun. Just the District managers treat PT's terribly because they feel they are at a higher power. You meet a lot of new people. Holidays and weekends are extremely busy. Discount is good.
Pros
Discount, Meet new people, Shoes!!!
Cons
District Managers and Regionals aren't the best.
Excellent work place for retail.
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2017
Steve Madden has provided and excellent work experience for me as a part time sales associate. The manner in which they employ and train their staff is above standard and creates a good working environment.
fast paced environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 July 2017
-fast paced
-unnecessary pressure for "not making enough sales" when no one walks into the store.
-schule is never consistent, and doesn't always come out in time (receive schedule each week at a different time)
Pros
discount
Cons
doesn't pay enough for everything the ask you to do.
Great management!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
Great management, and abundant room for creativity. Scheduling is flexible, workplace culture is fairly fun. I learned a lot about stock managing, and visual merchandising.
I'd never recommend.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2017
Really competitive environment with close to no team work at all. Always over-staffed so it is really difficult to get commissions. Poor salary and unstable timetables. Amazing employee discount though.
Pros
Employee discount, nice and easy-going customers
Cons
Poor salary, mall open late on weekends
Horrible work place
Retail operations (Former Employee) –  Montreal11 May 2017
Stay away! Very poorly managed, negative workplace and you are constantly misled. The culture is draining, you will wake up in the morning wishing you never accepted the job offer!
Pros
Shoes
Cons
Overworked, disrespected, cold environment
Horrible management but great employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 April 2017
Your average weekday is slow, entertained by the every other day obnoxious customer service issue, rude/impolite customers treating you like a slave. However, fellow coworkers are great & that's pretty much it. Instore management is usually good as well. However district & any management outside of that is absolutely horrendous & will make you absolutely dread your job. It's honestly a shame. Would not recommend.
Pros
Shoe discount
Cons
Everything else.
Growing company.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2017
Management is a key aspect in any work environment. To be able to establish a workplace where employees feel safe and comfortable while enjoying their shift is very important.

Steve Madden in Yorkdale was a very fast pace environment. Assisting the manager with daily tasks, managing the store, and focusing on not only meeting daily goals, but going beyond.
Nice place
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2017
It was fun and enjoyed my job but I moved locations so I could not work there any more and I wanted to move up in my life. I love working and very easy to work with.
wish there were more benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 March 2017
Most days are slow. We always have to be on trend, and into the latest style. I just wish there were more benefits within the company such as one free shoe a year (with a certain amount of value). It's hard to keep up with new shoe trends at the same time putting trendy outfits together when we get short shifts due to slow days.
Pros
50 percent off shoes
Cons
short shifts
shoe store basic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 February 2017
fun but not good management, cold environment, very fast pace. fun to work with customers and give good service. lots of stock to deal with daily that i would take on.
Flexible and Fashionable
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2017
This company has provided me with the ability to continue my studies and hold a management position. The atmosphere of the store is friendly and trendy. I appreciate the trust the company puts in it's employees and how willing they are to be accommodating.
Unprofessional head office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 November 2016
Very surprised with how low work ethics are for some employers, especially for a well knowned designer. Will be working mostly with irrational coworkers, coexisting in a very toxic work environment.
Good luck, you'll need it!
Pros
Shoes!
Cons
Unfriendly coworkers, no such thing as team building
it's not what you expect!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 November 2016
working at the Steve Madden head office was extremely unpleasant. it has poor management, toxic atmosphere, unfriendly and negative employees. i wouldn't recommend working at this company.
Great work place. A lot of motivation and amazing team.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 August 2016
This company really appreciates their employees. Its a great environment to work in. Great management and also amazing life balance.
productive and fun pushes you to do better.
Warehouse Worker shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 August 2016
I really have nothing bad to say about Steve Madden due to the fact that I honestly loved every second being there just not enough hours and too much people.
Pros
canteen driver and benefits
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steve Madden. Our community is ready to answer.