Steve Madden

Steve Madden Employee Reviews

Canada53 reviews
good place to start
Staff was really good, you don’t feel left out. Salary was not good at all but is a good place to start. Presence is really important to get the job. :)
Relaxed, comfortable environment
My managers were always extremely patient with my training, when I had difficulties and needed shift changes they wouldn't hesitate to help out and not force you to come in if its serious enough. They care a lot about their staff and making sure you get enough hours a week. I have never once been treated unfairly, or asked to clock in-out at inappropriate times. They put your health, comfort and availability as their utmost priority. I very much recommend working for this company.
Poor leadership
This job is not adventurous whatsoever and very repetitive. No challenge, no guidance and the office staff treats warehouse workers with zero respect.
it was okay
not the best place. in the back going through boxes to find size and style we were rushed to grab shoes meaning we couldn't "waste time" taking a ladder and climbing up safely. instead we had to climb shelves, which was very unsafe
Do NOT work there
pay is not good and they won’t raise it by much even if you work really hard. There is no possibility of growing in this company. Upper management are horrible, sneaky, talk behind employees’ back and will change stuff without telling anyone until after it happens. Would NOT recommend
Fun workplace
Everyone is ready to help you and work as a team. The store has a dress code but it is not to rigid and the store is a nice place to work. I enjoy work there.
Fun, fast paced workplace
Fast paced workplace, great team. I learnt a lot about business, styling, merchandising, and store maintenance. The best part of the job is the making sure your customer leaves happy.
Pas trop intense
Agréable et assez relaxe mais beaucoup de commérage
No room to grow.
SM has probably been one of the worse jobs i’ve ever had. The District manager is heavily involved yet isn’t helpful or there for their stores at all. Both ottawa locations were neglected and the montreal stores were always praised. Our Bayshore location went over 4 months without a store manager and full times were forced without a higher pay raise, to do everything. They leech off reliable people and think it’s okay to not pay them what they’re suppose to be paid. The turnover rate is incredibly high and staff is always coming and going. If you get promoted it’s because you’re needed not because you’re deserving.
Pros
discount.
Cons
unreliable staff, terrible pay, competitive sales with management, lack of staff, terrible DM
pay
you can work hard for 3 years straight like i have and never get a raise. Constant reminders to the district manager does not work. She will avoid giving you a well deserved raise at all costs.
Great
Great place to grow and develop as a young professional; works with very notable, high profile, and reputable Canadian clients . Very team-oriented culture. Management open and very approachable — both with respect to day-to-day operations and with to long-term growth initiatives. Generous amount of vacation time, extensive health benefits, education support (not formal policy but treated on case-by-case basis), and thanking programs in place.
Great place to work, not many opportunities to advance
Company tries to save as much on payroll as they can, leaving many part time employees stuck at that position, even though they have been there for years.
Do not recommend at all! (Especially yorkdale location)
The management is rude, most staff speaks badly regarding each other, managers steal sales and give attitude. It is a hostile work environment, and they hire people just to steal their sales and fire them right before their probation time of 3 months.
I do not recommend wasting your time learning this job because it is not worth it at all. Even the discount was horrible (%50 off original price, even when some sales brought the price lower than that)

HORRIBLE JOB!
Pros
Discount (sort of)
Cons
Everything else.
Repetitive and boring
Working at Steve Madden is a good first job. The work experience is good. The people are friendly. Customers are a hit or miss, some are nice, others can be mean.
Pros
Good first job
Cons
Hours get cut, a lot of gossip and talking behind each others back
Regular Day
I would come in to my shift, prep about the day how the day has been going how much we have to make. Arrange the shoes while clients aren't around. Place shoes when there isn't anyone. The management is relatively annoying wants the store to be perfect and verifies your work without giving you feedback only that something is wrong. It was fun to work in the shoe industry which helps you connect with the customers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Doesn't respect breaks
• Greeted all customers and ensure that each customers receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment
• Advised customers on use and care of merchandise, and provided advice concerning specialized products

• Successfully up/cross sold by offering complimentary and required products

• Provided excellent customer service to maximize sales on the store floor, and at the cash desk

• Successfully execute the daily goals and priorities assigned by store manager.
Had to start by cleaning shoe displays and sweeping the floor, make the store more clean and appealing. I learned customer service skills, alongside juggling multiple tasks at the same time. Management was kind. Hardest part of this job was most likely dealing with more than 2 customers at once. Most enjoyable part of this job was getting to see the new shoes that was coming out on floor.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
Throwing out the trash at closing
Stressful
No life balance, upper management is not helpful, over promising under deliver.
I honestly loved my job at first and as the year goes by I feel like I don’t have any other life and it became so stressful that I had to go see a doctor and diagnosed with anxiety. As a store manager they have high expectations which is great but they also put you on commission with low base that you do not have time to train and develop when your only focus is sales.
Pros
Trendy shoes and discount
Cons
Commission based, upper management, environment, stressful
Would not recommend...
Very poorly managed, only advantage is the discount. Other than that, the salary is far too low, the hours are unstable, management is incompetent and your hard work will never even be noticed. Avoid working for SM.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours, salary, management...
Fun place to work
Steve Madden is a fun and relaxed place to work. The management is understanding and it is easy to take time off if need be. However it is minimal hours,
Passion for fashion
If you love fashion and flexible with your schedule this is where you should apply. If you are a shoe lover this is for you. If you love the retail industry, shoes are the way to go.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steve Madden. Our community is ready to answer.