Sterling Crane Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2019
Overall I had a great experience with Sterling Crane. See the below points for clarity:

-Great place to work
-Nice and easygoing atmosphere
-Good people
-Amazing Engineering Manager
-Hard but rewarding job
Pros
X-Mas & Birthday celebrations
Cons
No comment
Crane
Mobile Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 March 2019
Sterling treated me well. They gave me an apprenticeship and work. They treated me well and seemed to be fair with everyone. I would work for them anytime they have work available.
Great company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 September 2018
There isn't anything bad to say, they help employees move forward and do what they can to help you along. Great team to work with. They recognize you as an employee and your talents.
Pros
everything is awesome
Cons
nothing bad to say
Excellent place to work.
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 March 2018
A typical day at work includes meeting with the great people on the job. It is always a safe fun place to work. Management takes the time to address and concerns you might without hesitation.
Pros
great worksites, great people, great jobs, great equipment
Cons
word on the street is Sterling is one of the cheapest companies out there
Great company to work for
Operator 100T Tadano (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB16 February 2018
Went to a shutdown with them at Kearl Lake. They left you alone and let you do your job. Payroll and management was great, never had any issues, crane's were well maintained.
great work environment
mobile crane operator (Current Employee) –  winnipeg mb canada3 January 2018
newer equipment, friendly staff, management, various shifts and work locations! challenging environment . smaller workforce and opportunities to expand and train on various pieces of equipment. heated brand new shop, washbay and wide open yard for mobing and demobing various types of mobile cranes.
Pros
new shop and well kept equipment
Cons
seasonal work
Good place to work, no guarantee for hours, decent equipment
Operator (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC7 December 2017
No Guarantee for operator hours, based on the amount of work available from customers. overall do well with OT
Decent equipment
Good supervisors here now, last guy useless. only lasted a short time
Management try to work with staff, but sometimes hands tied by corporate.
Pros
Pay is good, do overall pretty well
Cons
no guaranteed hours
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
It's a good place to work. People are awesome and the work is great. That's when there is a lot of work. When there isn't its really cut throat. You get sent home a lot during the day and get kept at home a lot especially in the winter months.
While working with Sterling Crane on the Fort Hills project I found that this company prefers to be reactionary in all they do.
Site Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB14 April 2017
As a Field Safety Advisor the overall job was good. the crane operators were very helpful in getting me up to speed with regard to understanding how cranes worked.
The field management staff were great and receptive to the challenges I presented to them regarding culture change.
Relaxed
Operator of 80t rt tadano (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 April 2017
Excellant company..would recommend I enjoyed my time excellant pay and hours worked beautiful camp and the food was great...excellant work crew and foremans
Pros
Nice cranes
Cons
Long flights
Not a great overall experience
Crane & Rigging Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 April 2017
Ineffective in this position as it was more geared to sales with a not so eager client contact list for a junior sales person, yet strict quotas and mandates to report to head office. Programs and billing procedure were cumbersome and time consuming. Supervisory title but little of that happened on an 8-5 schedule and overtime only was paid if they could bill to client. No budget for decent rigging, lots of worn out slings in use. High turnover rate in this position, in this particular branch and you will quickly discover why. Be prepared for deep meaningless pre-hire psychometric testing.
Pros
Freedom to get in their truck and leave
Cons
Could have been good but toxic environment
Best company in the world
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2017
This is the best company I have ever worked for and would love to go back once they are hiring if I haven't found the place for me to start a great career.
Good place, but no hour guarantee of hours
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC22 March 2017
Great place to work when there's work. When it's slow good luck feeding your family. They try, but a person needs to make a minimum amount to pay their bills. If you want to keep the cream of the crop you better act like you care about their business as well. " Their families".
Pros
Good management for the most part. Clean yard, and cranes are pretty well maintained.
Cons
Rigging is left out in the weather, no gaurantee of hours, branch manager is about money over operator issues
Good People, Good Money
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 November 2016
Company is good to work for overall. Work is very routine, no suitable to those who need to be challenged at work.

Middle management is easy to work with, bu the higher you go, the more clouds get between heads and the ground. More managers/supervisors than staff at many locations.
Pros
Good team, Good Money
Cons
No Career Advancement, Company reluctant to spend on equipment
Great Place to start Apprenticship
Red Seal Journeyman crane operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
No set schedule,
No guarantee of 40hrs a week
Wish they would send you around to other branches when they were slow. I like working for Sterling as a whole....just wish they had a guarantee of at least 30hr a wk
Pros
when its busy it great
Cons
no guarantee of hrs when its slow
Rewarding Work
Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB8 September 2016
My days were very busy and fulfilling. I was able to build and develop many positive working relationships. My co-workers were amazing and were definitely the best part of my job. The management at the site where I was positioned, however, was not great, which is why I left.
Pros
Close to home
Employees good but management inflexible
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2016
Employees helped create a good environment and were helpful to one another. However management was inflexible towards new ideas. Job duties were varied and interesting.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Inflexible management
A truly great company to work for, I miss it to this day
Dispatcher- Calgary office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2016
I was the dispatcher with this company in the Calgary branch. Great group of guys, good management and excellent treatment of employees all around. I true privilege to work for. The only downfall was being laid off due to the economic downturn in Alberta. The company has strong ties to the oil industry and when it fell, unfortunately the company had to make cuts and I was just one of them. But so were tens of thousands of people in Alberta. If an opportunity can again I would work for this company again.

Tip to anyone that sees a posting from this company: apply.
Pros
great group of employees, solid management
Cons
none, except the being laid off part
The worst crane company I've ever worked for
Crane operator (Former Employee) –  Kearl lake4 October 2013
Very disorganized the Formans just sit in the office doing nothing can't even get them to bring u paper towel or gloves they don't care about you and way to many travel cards
I will never work for such a cheap company again
Cons
A very interesting job that held many new challenges.
CRANE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 January 2013
As a crane operator in fort McMurray, it was my first experience of working on a huge industrial site. The company did an excellent job ob of training and bringing new operators from a new hand to an experienced hand.