STEP Energy Services

Canada127 reviews

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Good Experience

Hard work, but I had a good crew, supervisors, and manager when I worked for STEP. 15/6 rotation with fast crew changes. I worked on a busier crew, so the pay was good. if you're not on a crew thats busy it can be irratating since the pay isn't that good in the shop.

Pros

Rig managers are good in frac division, Good pay if you are in the field, Great benefits if you pay extra for the gold package

Cons

Communication can be difficult sometimes, but its the oildfield so things can change pretty quick.

Steady Work

Company keeps there employees very busy work is always steady.Fairly well paid for what you do but you will be away from home 90% of the time while on shift

In all one of the best company in the oil and gas industry to work for.

Just like everywhere you will have bad apples but they do not reflect the true culture of the company. I have worked with Step Energy for 5 years and for most of it my experience has been great, I have learned a lot, met a few great people and as a man of colour I will say that i didn’t now feel excluded, the same opportunities and respect was offered to me as with everyone else. I have loved my years there but sadly had to move on to try something new..

Pros

Schedule 15/6 or 21/10 great benefits, income and opportunities.

Cons

Lots of challenges, long days cold weather and time away from home

Pay Structure is unique in the Frac World

The hourly pay structure took a bit of getting used to compared to bonus and salary structure. With the hourly structure you get paid for everything you do. Another plus is working with the same crew all the time. This brings a real sense of comradery. Equipment is top notch and maintained very well with an etech and mechanic on site at all times. The crews have experienced professionals willing to help new guys if they want to learn. Great place to work and advance if you are willing to put in the effort.

Pros

Hourly pay and team atmosphere

Cons

Long hours. It’s the oilfield

Busy oilfield company

Good company to work for, good pay, good benefits, knowlegable employees. Probly the best service company to work for out there. Lots of room to move up.

Pros

Lots of work, good pay

Cons

Away from home lots

26 July 2021
We are so happy to hear that you are currently receiving an Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) at STEP Energy Services. We understand that it can be challenging for our field professionals to work away from home so we strive to provide a strong compensation package and opportunities to learn on our industry-leading equipment to ensure their time away is rewarded. Thank you for your review!

Equipment is good, if it ever leaves the yard

With every year at step I made less and less money even after promotions.They spread the little amount of work they have between way too many crews so 1/2 of the crews in our service center was sitting at home on "compensation commitment/on call" (4 hours a day)They claim they have amazing fleet utilization but reality is they pulled the registration of 100's of pieces of equipment to miss lead potential clients.When we were busy, we took huge pay cuts, had our benefits slashed, all perks taken away, so i jumped across to Halliburton where it seems like they have it together and the opportunity to advance is endless compared to the overloaded top end at STEP.I miss my old crew at step, but we suffered being so short staffed. I won't recommend any of my friends to apply at step when the grass is truly greener on EVERY other side of the fence.

Pros

Home all the time

Cons

Home all the time..

16 July 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We are sorry that you didn’t have an exceptional employee experience (EEE) here at STEP. We do strive to provide our crews with meaningful work, to keep them highly utilized and to offer growth opportunities to all of our professionals. We take your feedback seriously and will share your comments with our leadership team.

Decided for yourself

I will leave this here so you can decide for yourself.Benefits provided by STEPHealth benefitsPPE: Coveralls (4 pair), gloves, safety glasses, hard hatBenefits/perks not provided by STEPNo paid sick/personal leaveNo work boot allowanceNo paid vacationNo Northern living allowance (when working in the north)No RRSP matching or retirement plansReduce pay rate when traveling ($15) or working at the shop.Shared radio headsets

26 May 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy to have the opportunity to clarify some of your comments. You are correct, STEP offers a robust benefits plan and provides required PPE upon hire to our field professionals. We do have reduced rates for our field professionals when working in the shop, completing training or travelling to and from location in a crew bus or pickup truck. This is the norm in our industry and we pay in accordance to all legislation in the province where our professionals work. We absolutely offer paid vacation. For our field professionals, this vacation pay is paid out on each cheque and we allow professionals to route that vacation pay into a secondary bank account in order to better financially plan for vacation. Additionally, we have processes and guidelines in place for leaves of absence. While we do not pay for personal leaves of absences, we do have long and short term disability programs in place to help assist our professionals when they do have to take time off work for a medical reason. During the COVID-19 pandemic, STEP ensured our professionals were compensated for time off due to COVID or quarantine requirements. Our boot allowance program and company matching of group savings plans have been temporary suspended as a cost containment initiative. As you know, there has been much uncertainty in our industry over the past couple years. STEP has had to make difficult decisions and put plans in place to ensure our future is bright. We look forward to restoring these programs when our senior leadership team believes the time is -

Managers That Care, A Culture Like No Other, Advanced Technology

I have been working for STEP for the last 4 years and love it here. The culture is better than any other company I have ever worked for. The Managers care about you and the atmosphere is great. A few of the compensations have been temporarily taken away (RRSP matching and yearly bonuses) but that is only because the economy is in a downturn but I am confident they will return. They are constantly trying to improve technologically and as far as I can tell, are leading the industry in many ways. Proud to work for this company.

Pros

Flexibility to work from Home for office staff

Cons

Compensations temporarily revoked due to the industry downturn (RRSP Matching, yearly bonus)

21 April 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a great review. We are happy to hear that you are receiving an exceptional employee experience here at STEP. As you mentioned, we are in a cost savings environment due to the challenging year we have had however, we are excited for the day when that environment changes and we are able to reassess the decisions that had to be made. STEP's mission is to provide an exceptional client experience through the use of industry-leading equipment, technology, processes, and most importantly, our professionals. We are pleased you have experienced both STEP’s exceptional employee and client experience. Thank you again for your review!

Step was awesome

Step is an outstanding oilfield stimulation company to work for if you’re ok working long days away from home. Great salary and safety culture. They have good equipment too

Pros

Benefits right away. Good training

Cons

Long days. Tire chains. Night driving

8 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we are very pleased you had a positive experience! Our field professionals do have to work hard in their role as it does bring them away from home but, we hope our compensation package and our culture make it worth it. Our strong compensation package does include benefits upon hire and our exceptional safety culture starts on the very first day. We believe our purpose-built equipment is the best in the industry. Thank you for being part of the STEP family and we wish you well!

Good place to work for

Step is a good place to work. Pay is good benefits are good. If you work the overtime you get paid the time you work no questions asked. The equipment is well maintained and looked after not many times do you have to work a lot of over time to get a job done or have to go to the field to push your time to the limit to get a unit up and running

Pros

Overtime when you want it. Good pay. Clean shop. Good group of people to work with

Cons

Some long hours of work

23 December 2020
Our coiled tubing maintenance professionals focus on predictive and preventative maintenance which helps address root causes and prevent challenges from reaching the field. It’s one of the ways that we provide an Exceptional Client Experience (ECE). We are so happy to hear that while providing the ECE, you received an Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) through our clean and safe work environment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your contributions to STEP. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

really

sorry no comment.9 years at step was a stressful give it my all and it was not good enough it is still a buddy buddy system .beware there is still that bully out there.

Pros

some people got lunches, not all

Cons

un paid hrs

7 December 2020
First, we want to thank you for your nine year service at STEP and we are sorry to hear your time with us wasn’t always gratifying. We strive to deliver a culture of trust and transparency and can only make things better if our professionals engage in constructive conversations with our leadership team to address issues when they occur. We thank you again for your time at STEP and wish you well.

Great place to work, daily challenges, team work is imortant and the commitment and importance of individual safety is most important!

Very professional place too work, was proud to be an employee of this company because they took pride in your safety and the safety of each and every task. Look forward to going back!

Pros

Great Benifits!

28 August 2020
We happy to hear that you had an exceptional employee experience (EEE) during your time at STEP. We have put our core values at the forefront of our mindset and built a culture that attracts the best our industry has to offer because our clients deserve nothing less.

Best people. Best Culture.

STEP is one of the few companies that actually lives and breathes their manifesto and values. From my first interview to all the way through the onboarding process, the company and management demonstrated these values at every opportunity. Throughout the onboarding experience, everyone was so helpful and welcoming, making it one of the easiest transitions. STEP's executives are very down to earth and it doesn't matter what role you play in the company they will make an effort to get to know you. Working at STEP it would be very hard to meet a fellow professional you don't like, everyone will make you feel like part of the family. The work is fantastic, challenging and management will ensure you are working on projects you're most passionate about.

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, culture, the people, training

13 August 2020
We strive to live our core values of safety, trust, execution and possibilities every day at STEP and have woven our unique culture into everything that we do. We are so happy to hear that you experienced this during your onboarding and hiring experience and are excited to have you as a member of our STEP family.

Great place to work.

The only reason job security is low, it's oilfield work. Nothing in the oilfield is secure. To many ups and downs. Other than that it was a great place to work. Good management, good people. Equipment is always in perfect condition. Good pay.

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Well maintained equipment. Always room for advancement.

Cons

Sometimes a little unorganized. Seems like anyways.

14 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. For some time, our industry has been faced with uncertainty but we are happy to hear that you experienced an Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) during your time with us.

Excellent Place To Work!

Step Energy focuses on the professional performance of every individual. They provide an excellent employee experience with good wages and employee benefits

Pros

Great support from management to help you succed in your position

Cons

cant think of any

17 June 2020
We believe in our Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) at STEP and are happy to hear that you feel you received one. STEP is committed to offering a robust total rewards package and to providing as many opportunities as possible to develop skills, abilities and leadership potential.

Overall good experience

Learned alot and enjoyed working for the company, pay and benefits were exceptional but unfortunately not secure in the long term but a positive experience overall

21 May 2020
Thank you for taking time to leave us feedback about your experience at STEP. STEP works hard to provide our professionals with an exceptional employee experience (EEE), which includes career development and training as well as a comprehensive and industry leading total rewards package.

Slow paced shop, good managment. Very good pay and benefits.

Came to step from experiencing a couple of different service companies. The upper management in my opinion is top notch. Maintenance manager at the Grande Prairie shop is relatable honest and down to earth. They will not force you to work insane hours but the odd really late night is obviously expected of you. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing. In my opinion though the shop is a mess labour wise, Senior guys taking way to long of breaks dragging there feet setting the bar very low. That type of thing. There are a lot of labour hours going out the door. All in all they are very good, unfortunately a lot of people lost there job with them including myself as well as in the entire North American energy sector. I would recommend this place to anyone, but be warned you will be looked down on if you do not conform to the slower pace they have adapted.

6 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We will be sharing your comments internally. STEP offers a competitive total rewards package which includes comprehensive benefits plans. We believe that unless we have engaged and committed professionals, the best equipment in the world will be under-utilized. We appreciate your contributions to our maintenance team.

Excellent well servicing company to work for. Always doing what they can to protect the employment of their professionals and as a last resort use lay

Excellent company, great pay and great benefits. Decent training opportunities and great atmosphere to work in. Only leaving due to the current economic atmosphere.

30 March 2020
Thank you for being apart of our unique culture. We are happy to hear about your experience as a STEP professional! In these challenging and uncertain times, we wish you the best and thank you for sharing your time with us.

Cheat you where ever they can!!!

In the orientation the fail to mention that none of your travel time hours count towards any kind of overtime (even though you must log them) and the field job safety meeting isn’t full wage, it’s paid the same as travel time and again doesn’t count towards OT. This is how they scam you out OT hours and also if you work in BC you will never see double time. They change contract without worker consent

5 February 2020
STEP Energy Services provides a very competitive compensation and benefits package to our professionals. Our field professionals are compensated with an hourly structure that is paid in accordance to the employment standards for the province that the professionals work in.

Fast pace environment, with lots to learn. Very good if you want to work hard. Long hours for good pay if you are willing to put in the effort to be a good employee

Pros

money

22 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write about STEP. Our aim is to have high utilization throughout our service lines which does result in a fast paced environment. Our teams work hard to provide both an Exceptional Employee Experience and an Exceptional Client Experience.

Great company

good respect to employees always learning new things with utmost respect to safety. great coworkers with awesome attitudes and work ethics.Company benefits were one of the best programs.

17 December 2019
Thank you for highlighting many key features in STEP’s Exceptional Employee Experience! Our safety record is second to none and we really are a family both in the field and in the office. We are also happy to hear that you found our benefits to be the best, we agree!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STEP Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare STEP Energy Services with