STEP Energy Services

• Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Good Experience

Hard work, but I had a good crew, supervisors, and manager when I worked for STEP. 15/6 rotation with fast crew changes. I worked on a busier crew, so the pay was good. if you're not on a crew thats busy it can be irratating since the pay isn't that good in the shop.

Pros

Rig managers are good in frac division, Good pay if you are in the field, Great benefits if you pay extra for the gold package

Cons

Communication can be difficult sometimes, but its the oildfield so things can change pretty quick.

Steady Work

Company keeps there employees very busy work is always steady.Fairly well paid for what you do but you will be away from home 90% of the time while on shift

Great place to work at!

Excellent place to learn and grow within the gas industry. The STEP culture has thrived for many years, although not perfect it has been a rewarding experience for me!

Pros

Excellent pay and support system from other professionals!

Cons

Oilfield life can be lonely!

In all one of the best company in the oil and gas industry to work for.

Just like everywhere you will have bad apples but they do not reflect the true culture of the company. I have worked with Step Energy for 5 years and for most of it my experience has been great, I have learned a lot, met a few great people and as a man of colour I will say that i didn’t now feel excluded, the same opportunities and respect was offered to me as with everyone else. I have loved my years there but sadly had to move on to try something new..

Pros

Schedule 15/6 or 21/10 great benefits, income and opportunities.

Cons

Lots of challenges, long days cold weather and time away from home

Learn alot. Mechanics know more about things so ask them. typical oil field work with good pay. Dont be brand new to the field.

I learned quite a bit for my first job experience. Plenty about how fracking happens and how you are to set up and why we do frac. Hardest part was trying to find people to ask questions while working in the yard. everyone seems to dissapear, and are difficult to find. the Mechanics are better people to hang around with and ask questions. The workplace culture could use work due to it not being suitable to brand new people. its typical oil field work however, with good pay.

Pros

Work Crews are fantastic when they want to be, good pay

Cons

If just learning your forgotten quite a bit so self teaching is prevalent there, Workplace bullying does happen time to time, Do not like Brand new out of school People

Pay Structure is unique in the Frac World

The hourly pay structure took a bit of getting used to compared to bonus and salary structure. With the hourly structure you get paid for everything you do. Another plus is working with the same crew all the time. This brings a real sense of comradery. Equipment is top notch and maintained very well with an etech and mechanic on site at all times. The crews have experienced professionals willing to help new guys if they want to learn. Great place to work and advance if you are willing to put in the effort.

Pros

Hourly pay and team atmosphere

Cons

Long hours. It’s the oilfield

Busy oilfield company

Good company to work for, good pay, good benefits, knowlegable employees. Probly the best service company to work for out there. Lots of room to move up.

Pros

Lots of work, good pay

Cons

Away from home lots

26 July 2021
We are so happy to hear that you are currently receiving an Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) at STEP Energy Services. We understand that it can be challenging for our field professionals to work away from home so we strive to provide a strong compensation package and opportunities to learn on our industry-leading equipment to ensure their time away is rewarded. Thank you for your review!

Nice Equipment, good people.

Want their guys to come from other companies with a lot of experience just to put them on the ground doing leasehand duties. Only get to run pumps if your coming in as a Coil operator. Which is strange. They arent service rigs. These pumps require quality pump operators with a few years of experience. Pretty specialized. My years of experience as a lead op go unrecognized here. Stuck acting like a leasehand. No room whatsoever for advancement. Pays good if you dont mind doing mindless leasehand tasks.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Lack of time operating equipment your hired to operate.

20 July 2021
Our Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) is critical here at STEP and we strive to provide every member of our STEP family with meaningful work and opportunities to grow. We have many success stories of growing our professionals from providing them with driver training so they can pursue a class 1 drivers license to assisting with their apprenticeship to offering in-house monthly, leadership training. We’re sorry that you feel that you didn’t have an opportunity to advance during your time here but we are happy to hear that you enjoyed working on our purpose-built equipment and received our robust compensation package. Thank you for your review.

Equipment is good, if it ever leaves the yard

With every year at step I made less and less money even after promotions.They spread the little amount of work they have between way too many crews so 1/2 of the crews in our service center was sitting at home on "compensation commitment/on call" (4 hours a day)They claim they have amazing fleet utilization but reality is they pulled the registration of 100's of pieces of equipment to miss lead potential clients.When we were busy, we took huge pay cuts, had our benefits slashed, all perks taken away, so i jumped across to Halliburton where it seems like they have it together and the opportunity to advance is endless compared to the overloaded top end at STEP.I miss my old crew at step, but we suffered being so short staffed. I won't recommend any of my friends to apply at step when the grass is truly greener on EVERY other side of the fence.

Pros

Home all the time

Cons

Home all the time..

16 July 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We are sorry that you didn’t have an exceptional employee experience (EEE) here at STEP. We do strive to provide our crews with meaningful work, to keep them highly utilized and to offer growth opportunities to all of our professionals. We take your feedback seriously and will share your comments with our leadership team.

Decided for yourself

I will leave this here so you can decide for yourself.Benefits provided by STEPHealth benefitsPPE: Coveralls (4 pair), gloves, safety glasses, hard hatBenefits/perks not provided by STEPNo paid sick/personal leaveNo work boot allowanceNo paid vacationNo Northern living allowance (when working in the north)No RRSP matching or retirement plansReduce pay rate when traveling ($15) or working at the shop.Shared radio headsets

26 May 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy to have the opportunity to clarify some of your comments. You are correct, STEP offers a robust benefits plan and provides required PPE upon hire to our field professionals. We do have reduced rates for our field professionals when working in the shop, completing training or travelling to and from location in a crew bus or pickup truck. This is the norm in our industry and we pay in accordance to all legislation in the province where our professionals work. We absolutely offer paid vacation. For our field professionals, this vacation pay is paid out on each cheque and we allow professionals to route that vacation pay into a secondary bank account in order to better financially plan for vacation. Additionally, we have processes and guidelines in place for leaves of absence. While we do not pay for personal leaves of absences, we do have long and short term disability programs in place to help assist our professionals when they do have to take time off work for a medical reason. During the COVID-19 pandemic, STEP ensured our professionals were compensated for time off due to COVID or quarantine requirements. Our boot allowance program and company matching of group savings plans have been temporary suspended as a cost containment initiative. As you know, there has been much uncertainty in our industry over the past couple years. STEP has had to make difficult decisions and put plans in place to ensure our future is bright. We look forward to restoring these programs when our senior leadership team believes the time is -

Managers That Care, A Culture Like No Other, Advanced Technology

I have been working for STEP for the last 4 years and love it here. The culture is better than any other company I have ever worked for. The Managers care about you and the atmosphere is great. A few of the compensations have been temporarily taken away (RRSP matching and yearly bonuses) but that is only because the economy is in a downturn but I am confident they will return. They are constantly trying to improve technologically and as far as I can tell, are leading the industry in many ways. Proud to work for this company.

Pros

Flexibility to work from Home for office staff

Cons

Compensations temporarily revoked due to the industry downturn (RRSP Matching, yearly bonus)

21 April 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a great review. We are happy to hear that you are receiving an exceptional employee experience here at STEP. As you mentioned, we are in a cost savings environment due to the challenging year we have had however, we are excited for the day when that environment changes and we are able to reassess the decisions that had to be made. STEP's mission is to provide an exceptional client experience through the use of industry-leading equipment, technology, processes, and most importantly, our professionals. We are pleased you have experienced both STEP’s exceptional employee and client experience. Thank you again for your review!

Coil tech dept is intense

Worked with a great team of fellow techs who all supported each other. The tech team lead in my time was basically an empty chair, the guy wouldn't even answer his phone.The job is a double edge sword, you have true freedom to plan your day and set your own work load.Covering large areas 24/7 when on shift led me to get a little burnt out, also an attitude of "always obey drivers hours unless you're needed but we didn't say that."

Pros

Good team, a lot of freedom, good pay

Cons

No dept leader, "don't brake the law on working hours (wink wink)"

25 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. Our coiled tubing electronics technicians do have the freedom to set their own priorities and travel to different locations completing service and repairs as required. They are a strong team and collaboration is one of the ways they provide an Exceptional Client Experience (ECE). They are led by our Team Lead, Electronics and always have the support of the Site Managers while on location. Our coiled tubing electronics technicians operate their own service truck and are required to run log books. All of our drivers at STEP are required to follow the relevant legislations and hours of service as safety is one of our core values. Ensuring a safe work environment is one of the most important things we do as a company.

Talk the talk

Company boasted there all professional attitude but lack the respect for there employees, upper management reacts to one side of issues and takes over reactive response even when proven wrong. Good work "PROFESSIONALS" !

Pros

Work was good when available

Cons

Poor supervisors who lack personnel training

25 February 2021
It sounds like you did not have an exceptional employee experience (EEE) during your time at STEP and we are sorry to hear that. You are right, we do boast about our professionals and believe our team is the best in the industry. We also hold our team to a professional standard and are constantly working to provide and improve on our EEE. We wish you well in the future.

Step was awesome

Step is an outstanding oilfield stimulation company to work for if you’re ok working long days away from home. Great salary and safety culture. They have good equipment too

Pros

Benefits right away. Good training

Cons

Long days. Tire chains. Night driving

8 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, we are very pleased you had a positive experience! Our field professionals do have to work hard in their role as it does bring them away from home but, we hope our compensation package and our culture make it worth it. Our strong compensation package does include benefits upon hire and our exceptional safety culture starts on the very first day. We believe our purpose-built equipment is the best in the industry. Thank you for being part of the STEP family and we wish you well!

Rig managers need more training in their fields and dealing with coworkers

A good company to work for, the are very busy so mostly out working you are. As for rig managers , who can demote or fire you , need to be more open minded to others who have the experience in the field. In all, step is like every other company, loyalties and experience don't matter no more.

Pros

Very busy

Cons

Won't think twice before letting you go.

5 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to have the opportunity to clarify our practices surrounding terminations and promotions. While there are many factors that play into the decision to promote a professional, our operations leaders work alongside the human resources and training team to ensure a detailed competency assessment has been completed prior to a professional being promoted in the field. Additionally, any decisions made surrounding a professional’s exit from STEP are through our senior leadership team and legal counsel and they are made in accordance with related legislation. We can assure you that our promotion and exit decision making process is very robust and detailed.

Good place to work for

Step is a good place to work. Pay is good benefits are good. If you work the overtime you get paid the time you work no questions asked. The equipment is well maintained and looked after not many times do you have to work a lot of over time to get a job done or have to go to the field to push your time to the limit to get a unit up and running

Pros

Overtime when you want it. Good pay. Clean shop. Good group of people to work with

Cons

Some long hours of work

23 December 2020
Our coiled tubing maintenance professionals focus on predictive and preventative maintenance which helps address root causes and prevent challenges from reaching the field. It’s one of the ways that we provide an Exceptional Client Experience (ECE). We are so happy to hear that while providing the ECE, you received an Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) through our clean and safe work environment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your contributions to STEP. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Would be a great place to work if it was not for favoritism and backstabbing right from the top on down

It would be a great place to work if there was not so much favoritism all the way up from Management on down management has no guts to take any sort of responsibility

Pros

Too much backstabbing

Cons

Can't trust others

23 December 2020
STEP supports a culture of feedback and open communication. We have many processes in place to ensure that we provide our STEP family members with a fair and professional work environment. We appreciate the time you took to leave a review and thank you for your contributions to STEP.

They (Managment or HR) hold a grudge like a teenager

If you call a spade a spade, then you’ll never get on with this company. Management wants Cool Aid drinkers, not thinkers. You could do the job for years and then try something else, but if you want to go back, good luck, not going to happen. They’d rather spent thousands of dollars training idiots than rehire an experienced hand. It’s all low level management, higher up I feel are better but low level management, as always, it could be better.Stay away, too many idiots in one place to be productive, too many people trying to stab you in the back, very toxic work environment.

Pros

Wages

Cons

Toxic colleagues, low level managers

7 December 2020
We’re sorry to hear your experience with STEP was less than positive. Your correct, we do invest in our professionals, and try our best to provide opportunities for them to develop skills and leadership training through various programs. We do not tolerate toxic work environments and apologize that your perception is as such. We aim to deliver an Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) to every professional. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

really

sorry no comment.9 years at step was a stressful give it my all and it was not good enough it is still a buddy buddy system .beware there is still that bully out there.

Pros

some people got lunches, not all

Cons

un paid hrs

7 December 2020
First, we want to thank you for your nine year service at STEP and we are sorry to hear your time with us wasn’t always gratifying. We strive to deliver a culture of trust and transparency and can only make things better if our professionals engage in constructive conversations with our leadership team to address issues when they occur. We thank you again for your time at STEP and wish you well.

Great place to work, daily challenges, team work is imortant and the commitment and importance of individual safety is most important!

Very professional place too work, was proud to be an employee of this company because they took pride in your safety and the safety of each and every task. Look forward to going back!

Pros

Great Benifits!

28 August 2020
We happy to hear that you had an exceptional employee experience (EEE) during your time at STEP. We have put our core values at the forefront of our mindset and built a culture that attracts the best our industry has to offer because our clients deserve nothing less.

Not the best to work for

I worked for step for over 2 years and would not recommend working for them they promise the world but never deliver. Don't look after there employees if you are out of town and need to get grocery you are more or less on your own

Pros

free ppe

Cons

long hours, away from home, night shifts, long drives

13 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are concerned that you are not having an exceptional employee experience (EEE) and invite you to reach out to your leadership team or human resources to discuss your challenges further.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STEP Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement