STEP Energy Services Employee Reviews

not recommended
Fluid Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB16 August 2019
not professional as they promote it to be! Communication is terrible! You have to be a brown noser to move up in that company. Careful, if they don't like you, they will leave you up north with no ride home
Amazing team
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 July 2019
Warm friendly and knowledgeable professionals... the place you want to be if you are tired of jobs with poor management team... i suggest you "step
right on into Step" Great professionals 🤴
Good place to be if your single
Pump Operator (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 July 2019
Everything is good about the company they are willing to work with you and help you when you need it. Hard job and hard on the body and mind especially when you have a family.
Pros
Always willing to help
Cons
being away from home when you have a family
Safety not a focus. Sales department is ineffective.
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2019
The departments at head office spend a significant amount of time bickering between themselves and not enough time trying to actually do a good job to retain and win clients.

The sales department is ineffective and will not utilize the expertise of others to win and retain clients. Work that is obtained is often inundated with deception and work is lost when the clients find out (safety and work related incidences).

Safety is usually furthest from their minds, and MOCs (management of change) in regards to safety are usually rejected when they cost money. They put on a good show to employees and clients though.
Incidents will usually go unreported for fear of retribution and to keep their TRIF low. The aftermath of Incidents usually result in employees being reprimanded, rather than finding effective ways to prevent them.

Technical roles are occupied by mostly white men, so this is your typical old boys club here. I have taken part in career fairs and met minority/female applicants far more qualified and proficient than those that are actually hired.

The only people that are promoted are friends of management, and some of them are either incompetent or apathetic.
Pros
was kind of flexible
Cons
everything else
Not recomendet
Sand (Former Employee) –  Red Deer27 June 2019
not recomendet Step Energy,like company for you future.Managment corrupt ,only if you get some managment friends or family you can still work .they just finised oilfield contract ,and you dont need for this guys .
Pros
Red deer
Cons
over legal hours work and drive
Started ok
Sand op (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 May 2019
Well the 5 day orientation was a bit much but its paid for so that helps. So far everyone is very nice and willing to work with you the pay is not the best but I'm sure it will get better as time passes great benefits and nice equipment.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Pay
do not ask for management
Coil Tubing Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 May 2019
if you have any concern about management or safety
you are the main target and will not work with them.
This management is very ignore and strong force.
Good luck with that~
Amazing Experience
Logistics Driver (Current Employee) –  Alberta23 April 2019
I am a driver for the sand department at STEP Energy and I love it. Everyone from my supervisors to my manager is fantastic to deal with and friendly. I don;t get to spend a lot of time around the base because I am working so much but when I get to see the team at the shop they are always happy to help and deliver the EEE step prides themselves on. I needed some time off for a family event and my manager gave me a few extra days off to spend more time with them. When I got back he even followed up with me on my time off to ask how it was. We do work long hours but are paid for it. I couldn't be happier.
Pros
Great team atmosphere
Dangerous and Disorganized
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB22 April 2019
As a red seal journeyman mechanic, i have worked at a few well servicing companies as both an operator and mechanic. Starting at STEP, i was given a good first impression in training, but that quickly diminished when i started working. The company is incredibly disorganized, with almost zero communication on any level. At any given time, most people have no idea what is going on. The operators are some of the lowest trained I've ever seen, and they often complain their supervision and management is lacking.
On the mechanical side, saftey is a roll of the dice. Every day you are breathing heavy welding fumes and metal particles from the 3rd party welding contractor who has the run of the shop, including using company tools and supplies, but never held to any saftey standard. We were constantly pulled off of jobs every half hour to wash floors, despite our work load, and then forced to work late. The majority of the work done is pulling chemical and sand soaked fluid ends and frack piping off of units, or replacing radiators. If you are not a personal friend of a boss, or involved in the foremans racing team, then you are out of the circle so to speak. I left the company with the best attitude, and they kicked me to the curb, and left me fighting with the labour board for owned earnings. Avoid this company at all costs. There is a reason 7 jouneyman quit in the last 6 months.
Pros
Decent wages
Cons
No saftey, enviromental. Discrimination. Disorganized.
Terrible Management, Secrets, Bullying, Over houring, No Accountability
Logistics driver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 April 2019
I was with Step for under 2 years. I watched Logistics division go from bad to worse. The manager stopped answering phone calls almost a year ago, hides in his office. The superintendent bullied and cornered me in the parking lot and wouldn't let me leave for days off until i gave him what he wanted. The manager showed no regard for my situation or anyone elses. Only reason i didnt go to HR is fear of job security.
NOTHING gets dealt with. You are a number and they make you think your not by bragging about a culture they had in 2011 until frac came along. Their replicon pay system is a rip off unless your buddies with someone in an office to tell you what to write in the comments to get compensated properly.
Your complaints are thrown in a back room and forgotten about. They boast about a EEE (Exceptional Employee Experience), yet I dont know what that is, or where this unicorn experience is. Management in Red Deer is corrupt, Calgary is corrupt. FsJ and GP are the only places where your part of a team, and gets things done right.

In a nutshell, if you want to feel left out, unappreciated, stressed out, unheard, disrespected, bullied, and lied to...this will be the place for you.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Management, supervising, coordination
not bad if your part of the managers buddys
supervisors lackie (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 March 2019
much like most typical oil patch companies, you don't advance if your not someones buddy, or unless you like getting sore knees, promise the world and give you nothing.
A welcoming and fun place to experience
Technical Project Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2019
I had an opportunity to work with STEP Energy for a technical project for one week in February as a SAIT student. This project is part of the Chemical Laboratory Technology program curriculum and it was to help give us some experience of working in a laboratory setting. Everyone at the lab was very nice and welcoming. They were patient in teaching me things about their lab and answered any questions that I may have had about certain tests or analyses. Everyone made sure that I was comfortable with what I was doing for my project and they also made sure that I was able to see everything that they do at the lab. It seems like a fun place to work and everyone seemed very happy working there and the people they were working with. If ever there is a job opportunity with STEP Energy as a Technical Specialist, I would apply for that position in a heartbeat.
Terrible Place to work..
Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 February 2019
everything is a secret.long days ..no leadership for the task at hand.
Management tells u one thing and does the opposite. Promise you the world.... but it never comes...
Pros
The guys you work with
Cons
Management.
12 February 2019

We are sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one, but we do appreciate your feedback.
Industry expectations sometimes require us to work long hours, however we strictly adhere to hours of work and required reset time.
We hope that our professionals understand that sometimes decisions take longer to execute than initially anticipated.

Feels like family
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2019
I've been at STEP for just over 5 years and I couldn't imagine leaving. The people I work with are not just co-workers, but I consider them close friends. My supervisor has always empowered me and trusted me to make decisions without "micro-managing" and I feel like I have a voice in what goes on in my department.
When it comes to growth, I know there's a plan for me at STEP and I have clear direction on how to get to the next step. Every day is a new challenge and I'm never bored with the variety in my role.
Pros
The people, flexibility, innovation, growth
6 February 2019

Thank you for your positive feedback. Our culture at STEP is what sets us apart in the industry and we support all professionals to achieve their Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE). We are very proud that our core values of Safety, Trust, Execution and Possibilities allow us to have a sought-after culture in our industry.

The grass is never greener
Coil tubing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB28 January 2019
No matter how hard you work and how little NPT time you aquire, no appreciation will be given. They will try to force you to be based out of service centers 10 hrs from your home and tell you that you should feel lucky. Travel pay is less than minimum wage and they've become so top heavy with upper management inventing new job titles every day that they have to lay off people in masses. Huge turnover rate and very inconsistent work unless you're one of the favorites. They use a Rig manager system instead of the managers in the office actually doing anything. The rig managers are overpaid babies that are scared of the office and forget what it's like to get their hands dirty. They are a waste of 300k a year that would employ 3 more people per rig and really bring in the SAFETY aspect that step likes to gag us with.
Pros
There was money to be made
Cons
terrible management
6 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to provide our professionals with the Exceptional Employee Experience (EEE) and we are disappointed to hear that you felt any different. We encourage our professionals and management teams to engage in ‘possibility thinking’ to come up with industry-leading ideas that will allow us to maintain as many professionals as possible. We also encourage our professionals to have intentional conversations with their fellow colleagues if they feel they are not getting the EEE.
We appreciate our professionals and the hard work and dedication that they bestow on our company. We can assure you that the travel rate reflects the new minimum wage rate set on October 1, 2018.

Step
Coiled Tubing Lead Operator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB22 January 2019
Not a great place long term. I had a good run made some money but your guarantee isn't a guarantee. They will just terminate people when there not needed in large groups.
Pros
great money
Cons
They play favorites
6 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Although the oil & gas industry has a high rate of turn-over, we take pride in having long-term professionals who have grown with us over the years. These periods of low utilization are out of our control, however, our compensation commitment can help our professionals through these times. We also engage in ‘possibility thinking’ during these down-turns to come up with industry-leading ideas that will allow us to maintain as many professionals as possible.

terrible culture and support
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB13 January 2019
Being an operator is very belittling, the management will blame you for everything and even if things are good they will still find ways to make it your problem. White hats and management only care about themselves and could not care less about anyone else, all a bunch of power seekers looking for anything to find faults with. Teamwork is definitely not in the culture as everyone is supposed to strive to be the best by stabbing co-workers in the back. Culture is non existent, just a term they dwell on using but everyone has a different opinion on what it is. Employees have no place to take concerns to as management all sticks together to make themselves look good. A toxic and very insecure environment will welcome you everyday.
Pros
wages are not too bad
Cons
do not practice what they preach
Coiled tubing Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB18 December 2018
STEP has very nice equipment and good benefits for employees. The compensation comitment to employees is great and the 15 and 6 schedule is great.Yard, Shop, Wash Bay are veryclean and well kept.
Pros
Good Equipment
Cons
Slow Oil and Gas Ecomony
6 February 2019

Thank you for your positive comments. We take pride in our shops, yards and equipment and it is wonderful to hear that people are noticing. We proudly display our core values on our equipment in hopes that it is recognized within our communities and our industry.

One of the better companies I have worked for
Op4 frac (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 December 2018
Been here 2 years now based out of Red Deer and it is a great place. The thing that makes them stick out the most is we are always trying out and using new equipment. I appreciate the level of effort the company takes flying is up to far away jobs as opposed to driving. They usually find us hotels that are close to a grocery stores and a gym. The pay is on par with the industry and hopefully we can stay busy through this industry down turn.
Pros
Good people good equipment
Cons
Its a volatile industry with random slow downs
7 January 2019

Thank you for your positive review and honest feedback! STEP tries to be a leader in the industry. It’s great to hear you’re able to maintain a healthy work-life balance while on shift as well as advance your skills in relation to our innovative equipment. The oil and gas industry is cyclical, however, as a company we try our best to mitigate the volatility as best we can for our professionals.

Made some good friends
Fracturing (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 December 2018
Like anywhere else in this business. Don't let them fool you into thinking they are any different.
But having said that they are one of the better companies like them.
Pros
Possible to make good money
Cons
Get treated like a tard
7 January 2019

That’s unfortunate your experience with STEP was less than great, however, we do appreciate the feedback. Our culture at STEP is what sets us apart in the industry and we encourage all professionals to strive for their own EEE (Exceptional Employee Experience) as well as their colleagues. We are continually working to stay ahead of the industry while maintaining our core values of Safety, Trust, Execution and Possibilities to maintain a family culture within the company. If you would like to discuss your concerns further please feel free to contact the Human Potential Team. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STEP Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.