STEP Energy Services Employee Reviews

Old Boys Club feel
Pump Operator (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, AB8 September 2018
Good crew to work with. Manager and coordinator don't seem to have any involvement whatsoever and offer the cold shoulder...seems like a boys club environment. Supervisors and crews are respectful and willing to train and help. The daily topic within the crew is what other companies are offering and guys looking to leave STEP.
Pros
Good guys to work with, paid on time
Cons
Old equipment, lack of coordinator
Amazing people
Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 August 2018
Loved working there felt like you where apart of a family. Great leader ship, and would go back and work with them in a heart beat. Treated well and was very happy to be apart of that team.
Excellent : pay, equipment, and management
Logistics Driver (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 July 2018
Not often can employee's say management is one of the strong points of a company. In this case yes. I have found management here in Red Deer (including dispatch) is quite approachable and definitely helpful. Our logistics manager is cutting edge, experienced, and approachable. He is building a team of great people.and it is looking very positive for the future. I have enjoyed my experience so far and look forward to the coming year .
30 July 2018

Thank you so much for such a great review! We strive to be innovators in our industry and recently revamped our logistics department opening it up to Class 5 drivers. It is so nice to hear that your experience has been a great one so far. Thank you for the kudos!

Great Place to Work
Accounts Payable Administrator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2018
I did the pay runs. EFT's, Chq's & Wires in CAD & USD.
The management team was terrific.
Leaving was the hardest part.
Most enjoyable: the people.
Pros
The People
Cons
not much
12 July 2018

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are so glad that you received the EEE (Exceptional Employee Experience) during your time at STEP and enjoyed working with us. Best wishes in the future!

Changes needed to retain staff long term
Field Operator-Frac (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, AB14 June 2018
The overall crew is enjoyable to work with. All types of weather conditions are expected. The company we work for promotes a safe work environment urging STEP to follow there lead. Favoritism and a bullying environment among staff from the previous company STEP purchased is constant and effects the quality of work getting completed and morale in a negative way. The coordinators job/role is always in question. He also came from the purchased company and motivates these poor conditions. STEP has good intentions, do a good job with marketing. Lately, there has been a lot of chatter pertaining to what the future holds with personnel changes and staff talking about leaving.
Pros
Competitive wages, good benefits, working on the same crew every shift is enjoyable
Cons
Cliqiness, unsureness of future job security, older equipment(from previous acquisition)
20 June 2018

STEP strives to provide a culture of positivity, career growth, and an emphasis on team building. It is unfortunate that you are not consistently receiving an Exceptional Employee Experience. Receiving feedback like this is helpful for us to make changes moving forward we welcome the opportunity to have a conversation about your experience. If you are open to discussing this, we encourage you to reach out to our Human Potential team.

Not a happy environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Alberta12 April 2018
High expectations with little reward or opportunities like they claim...you have to be high up the ladder to get decent bonus'. They say there are many possibilities but that seems to only be applicable to field staff.
Pros
Money
Cons
Need to play nicer in the sandbox with employees
4 May 2018

That is unfortunate that you did not receive the Exceptional Employee Experience while at STEP. We are a growing company and with that comes challenges. Receiving feedback like this is helpful for us to make changes moving forward.

4 May 2018

Incredible company to work for
Training and Development (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 February 2018
STEP is an incredible company to work for. From the Exec team down, everyone is a professional. Everyone works as a team and the environment is very welcoming. Endless opportunities!
Pros
Welcoming environment, part of a team, great home/work balance.
1 March 2018

Thank you for the kudos! It is always great to hear positive feedback. We pride ourselves on having an environment of positivity from the top down, and are happy to hear this has been your experience at STEP so far.

Great company, safe place to work.
Nitrogen Operator 5 (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB9 January 2018
Very good company with a very safe work ethic. Only issue I had is the lack of organization between local management and Red Deer management. Things get missed or over looked and no one seems to track equipment location very well so things that require maintenance sit without being fixed because it wasn't reported to maintenance team.
Pros
Growing company with safe work ethic.
Cons
Poor organization of people and equipment
23 January 2018

Hi there: We appreciate you sharing your feedback. STEP strives to maintain a culture that is centered around its core values in every aspect of work we do, so it’s disappointing to hear your experience did not live up to our expectation. Receiving feedback like this is necessary so that we are able to continue to improve our processes and promote our culture in the future. We do also appreciate your endorsement of our strong safety culture.

No room for advancement and no room for personal life.
Maintenance Technician (Mechanic) (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 December 2017
I worked in the maintenance department at step energy. While working there I was told to make suggestions how to make the maintenance department better however my suggestions were never considered and my opinions didn't matter. Advancement is only given to friends. And management on the maintenance side is changing all the time because there is backstabbing and different friends being brought in. There is a complete lack of structure and it has turned into a revolving door for mechanics on the floor and in the field. I have asked for days off and I was told that step energy is a business and my personal life cannot be accommodated. Teamwork amongst mechanics was discouraged and we are told to work separately and not as a team.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Maintenance staff is not valued. Lack of structure.
23 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of these concerns; receiving feedback like this is necessary so that we are able to continue to improve and develop in the future. If you feel there are other concerns not highlighted in your review that you would like to address, or you’d like to discuss the above-mentioned concerns, you can contact the Human Potential Team and we’d be happy to discuss them. We wish you the best in your future endeavours!

You won't regret the switch.
Chemvan Professional (Current Employee) –  Redcliff, AB21 November 2017
Just like you, I seen all the ads, and wanted to find out a little more about this company, but never made the time. Until friends started telling me so many great things about STEP.

From day 1, you are treated like a family member, and looked at as a professional. Everyone is happy to come to work, and shows a positive attitude.

I'm new to STEP, and I love the culture set fourth. Benefits are some of the best in the industry, and the grass so far is the greenest yet!
Pros
Top notch benefits, lots of support staff, maintained equipment
good place to work pay is good
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 October 2017
its a growing company so it has growing pains but over all good place to work it has some really great people that work there but the dispatch system and people need some work
Pros
decent money
Cons
long hrs and always away from home
Excellent
Sand operator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 October 2017
Step energy is an excellent company to work for. The training they provide for both new and experienced professionals is second to none. I have never had a company where the company leaders personally talk about their experiences with new employees and answer any question new recruits may have. Even with their explosive growth they managed to out weather the downturn and are now continuing their expansion. The possibilities for career advancement seem endless as well and they are willing to get you to where you want to go. I would definitely recommend Step whether new or experienced.
Pros
Pay, benefits, the people
Cons
So far none
Welcoming environment with forward thinking
Jr. Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 September 2017
I've been employed with STEP now for just over two weeks and I have to say it's been an exceptional experience thus far. The level of training that they put into their professionals far exceed's any other employer I've worked for in the past. Do we have areas where we can improve? Absolutely, but leadership is more than open to hearing possible solutions to any issues you bring forward which is a refreshing change.
Pros
Leaders are actually interested in getting to know their workers
Cons
Due to an increase in the number of employees the building is getting a little squishy.
Like most Service company's they where an Excellent company to work for In the Beaning. But Management in my View Change all that.
Coil Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB5 July 2017
This was your Typical Service Company.
workplace Culture was all about Office Staff...
Rig Managers where for the most part Awesome, Office 'op' Management , left much to be desired...
the hardest part of the job was Being away from your Loved ones.
Pros
well Keeped equipment
Cons
Not being Payed Field rate for driving on public roads.
There is nothing at step energy that is noy to dislike
Frac/sand operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 May 2017
They are very welcoming they will answer any questions wether your expérienced or not there training is excellent best ive seen and they treat employees as professionnals not just workers i recommend coming to step.
Great learning experience
Summer Student -Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC10 April 2017
Found the company very welcoming and helpful. Had a culture that made you want to work hard and often felt great about communication within the company.
Amazing company that actually cares for its employees and clients
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alberta17 March 2017
STEP Energy Services truly sticks to their core values, Safety, Trust, Execution, and Possibilities. It is refreshing to work for a company that actually looks after their employees and listens to their clients needs and this is why they are excelling in their field and winning numerous awards.

I am fairly new to STEP, but all the people in the office and technical center have welcomed me and helped me out. They are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and I never feel intimidated to ask fellow professionals for help.

The executives are great people, all are down to earth and are focused on growing the company. They still find time to regularly visit the field and to the other service centers and it really makes you feel like they genuinely care about their employees and the company. There is a strong sense of community in STEP and it feels like everyone supports one another, even across divisions.

This company is headed in the right direction and I could not be more excited to start a career with them and to be a part of the STEP family.
Pros
Excellent culture, down to earth and focused professionals, company that has quality core values and adheres to them
Cons
N/a
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
Great atmosphere to excel at your career, management team was very involved with all employees and communicated very well. Both individual expectations and management expectations were clear and concise, empowered and gave all employees the tools to succeed and advance in their individual careers.
Human Resource Advisor / Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 December 2016
I was hired at STEP after they bought out Gasfrac Energy. My bosses were amazing and taught me so much. The management of the company are strong leaders and great individuals to lead the company.

I enjoyed meeting the new team and learning from the management how to run a successful company. My coworkers were great people who all got along and spoke straight forward.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
n/a
Poor place to be if you dont want to get ahead
Nitrogen operator (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB21 November 2016
Communication between management and staff is full of hidden agendas. You have to be good friends on a personal basis to get along and keep your job. If you show drive, initiatives and ideas they quickly shut you down cause anyone higher than you will be in fear that you are better than them and the back stabbing begins. There is to many unsafe acts within supervisors like excessive drinking after the shift and it made me fearful they were gonna be ready for the next day.
Pros
Equipment and salery
Cons
Have to be buddy buddy with managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STEP Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.