Stenberg College

Stenberg College Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Overall not a bad employer, but culture needs to be improved. Many staff members feel isolated and overworked. No play, just all work... These days it is not just about money.
Pros
competitive wages, benefits ok
Cons
company culture sucks, it is not hostile, just very bland
A great place to work. Supportive management team with flexible class times: days and evenings and great locations throughout Surrey and close to transit.
I’ve enjoyed working for Stenberg College for over 4 years. I really enjoy working with my team and I always feel supported. There is also a good work-life balance here. I would recommend Stenberg College as an employer.
I was a student, I was not employed with Stenberg College. This was included in the employment portion of my resume to simply reflect what I was doing during that time frame.
they were typical of a college, they had a lot of staff turnover...super nice people...centrally located...i don't think they paid enough money which is why there was a lot of turnover
Paradoxically predictable and unpredictable; learned how to be a more effective mentor/assessor;hardest part was giving the metaphorical "stick" and not just the "carrot"; it was a pleasure to see the growth of students.
It’s a revolving door of employees. Nobody stays very long. Morale is very low, hours are long, pressure is intense. I was told by a Director that if she gets one year out of a new employee she figures that’s good. Run far away from this company.
I learned a lot working here, and the pay was great, however management was inconsistent, untrustworthy, and I always felt at risk of losing my job regardless of how much time and effort was put in. Would not recommend this employer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No work/life balance, long days, poor management.
I have been working at Stenberg College full-time for about 2 years. This is a great place to work. Management care for their employees and are always willing to help. Most of my coworkers are honest, fair, professional and supportive. Very Dynamic environment!
Pros
Has a good work-life balance!
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Stenberg College?
Stenberg is a great place to work! I always feel supported by my management team and peers. Work/life balance is really important to me and have always felt Stenberg aligns my values.
I was at Stenberg College for over four years and truly enjoyed my time there. From the Leadership Team to Admin Staff, everyone truly cared about the organization and contributed to its success. Most managers/VPs supported open communication/collaboration and recognized exceptional employees. My colleagues there were amazing!
Pros
Supportive Leadership, Great Colleagues, Open Communication, and Collaboration
Cons
Although the wages/salaries are competitive to current trends, I believe the benefits package could be improved.
Start class with attendance and hand out learning tools for the day
explain new material, test old material, encourage student interaction.

Review weekly expectations.

Set up materials for the next day.

Help students

review material covered that day , create learning activities and games. marks quizzes and tests

submit attendance and test/quiz marks
Pros
great staff
Cons
short daily hours
I really enjoy going to work each day. My co-workers are all friendly and work together very well. My VP manages our team effectively without micro managing. She is always there to support us. I have dealt with some personal hardships over the last year or two and I was amazed at how everyone pulled together to support me, including a food chain when they knew I wouldn't be able to cook for my family. Truly blessed to work with such great people. The most challenging part of my job is convincing students to take ownership of their education and professionalism. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am helping someone change their life and be their best.
Pros
Supportive teams
Stenberg College has friendly and welcoming environment. I have worked in a couple different departments at this company and I find that the managers are very supportive and that they have a strong passion for the education that they provide to their students.

I'd highly recommend my family and/or friends to work here.
Pros
Friendly environment, advancement opportunities, flexible schedule, open communication, flat structured
Completely dysfunctional environment. Directors are disrespectful, incompetent and lack educational and experiential qualifications. Most have been in the same role for decades. Because of this, employee turnover at other levels is very high.

Pay is very low and there is little room for advancement (although lateral moves are common as they frequently try to combine multiple roles).

The entire company is based on greed, working to take advantage of as many vulnerable (i.e. single parents, recent immigrants, minimum-wage workers) people as possible. They do not care about enrolling students in the programs that are right for them or where they will be successful, they care about meeting quotas and making money and they engage in many shady practices to do so.
Over ten years at Stenberg, and have found it a great place to work or I would not still be here. In a large part this is due to many wonderful people on staff which make it a pleasure to be here.

Very flat organizational structure with ability to affect change with access to senior leadership including the president.

Inspirational and uplifting to witness so many students from all walks of life succeed. Some of the challenges they've overcome to be here are truly humbling. Very rewarding to be able to make positive contributions to the world.
I've been working here for over a decade and have enjoyed each and every year. The company really is passionate about Education and treats their employees with respect.
I started my professional career at Stenberg and was hired in an admin role. I was supported by my manager and VP to explore the role and make it my own. Stenberg paid for me to take online courses to improve myself and encouraged me to strive for my stated goals. After about a year I was promoted as a direct result of the support I was given by my management team.

Stenberg supported me through great personal loss and allowed me a flexible schedule that encouraged a work/life balance.

The job was fast paced and challenging which made going to work every day exciting as well as stimulating.

Stenberg encourages communication, I felt empowered to speak with everyone from the receptionist to the president of the company.

I would and do recommend Stenberg as a place to work
It is a great experience teaching at Stenberg College. Very friendly colleagues and great work environment. Teachers are given good support and given opportunities to grow.
Not really a fan of this institution and how it was run. Lots of students that are new to the country that were pushed into directions that they didn't expect to by admin
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
poor wage
I worked for 3 months as an SEA Practicum Monitor. The job itself was great, just lots of traveling. The supervisors and others at Stenberg were wonderful when I worked there. The Practicum Monitor position is a contract position. When you're needed they call you to work; when you're not needed they don't. After my contract was finished, they "booted me off" of their email system stating it was to "make room on their system". What?!? Any attempt to apply for other positions was completely ignored. They have one person "guarding the gate" of employment, as it were and I suspect he picks and chooses who he likes. So, if they/he decide/s that for some reason, they don't like you anymore, you will never hear from them again. That's okay, I was able to secure a position with a university in Ontario as an online instructor, so Stenberg can go straight to.....
Pros
Great job, good experience, students are lovely.
Cons
Nepotism at its finest.