STEM Camp

STEM Camp Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Counsellors were left to try and entertain the kids with minimal equipment. The places where camp took place were not conducive to kids learning and playing and we had difficulty with trying to find space for them to play and work.
A great place to work with a very structured and organized day-to-day schedule. The kids were easily handled with the excellent cooperation provided amongst each of the workers. Staff made work a fun and enjoyable place to be for everyone in the environment.
You really have to enjoy working with children for this job to be worth it. It can be very stressful handling up to 40 children with 6 other camp counselors, especially when it comes to ones who do not listen, misbehave, or try to run away (it did happen once). The short timeline of the job makes it pretty much impossible to fire anyone, which gave some people at my work place incentive to show up severely late every day, sit on their phone in front of the kids, and take excessive breaks. That was the most frustrating thing to handle, and I expect that my case is not uncommon. However, building connections with the campers did make up for it a bit.
To make a successful, day at camp it's important to have good team members to work with. Everyone who works at STEM was passionate about STEM field and made it easier to work with people with the same mindset as you.
Number of staff to children is a high ratio so the work is not too involved. Coworkers were kind and management was fairly reasonable. As long as the work is at least roughly planed it will all workout well.
Very stressful work environment. I had great hard-working co-workers, and even head office was very friendly. But the work was too much to handle. Children were very difficult, and with so many high-needs children and no one to do one-on-one with them, put a lot of stress on us.
When I first arrived, I would greet the campers who would come in. me and the other councilers would teach the campers fun science based activeits. Campers were sort of hard to keep an eye on but mostly well behaved. I had no problem with them. I learn some how to build some STEM projects and improved my fuure parental skills from learning how to desl with kids. Hardest part of the job for me was constantly keeping an eye on the childern.
I really enjoyed working at STEM Camp. It was a great way to earn experience working with children and the support from the staff/management helped me create a positive experience for the campers.
Workers were very good and the pay was decent. The workplace environment was healthy and productive. Working with kids was fun and planning activities and executing them was intriguing.
great experience, very rewarding overall. Great locations available across ontario. Over all would recommend to other people looking to apply. Loved working with kids.
Pros
experience
Cons
no time off
Crazy hectic, understaffed. Management didn't seem very supportive. We never had enough materials for all our activities. Co-workers were great and the kids were wonderful.
Many various opportunities are present at STEM camp, if you're passionate for children, science (or BOTH) the team at STEM camp are there to grow that passion into a career. Fabulous team.
Pros
free lunch occasionally
Cons
monotonous work life
It was just relatively difficult to teach children about science when the majority of the science experiments that were planned had not been tested by the organizers or supervisors; most experiments didn't work, leading to many disappointed children. However, the one nice thing about this job was the ability to directly influence children and positively impact their love of science.
I was involved in a four month placement with Stem Camp in Woodstck, ON. I was involved in warehouse supervisory duties with this company. All of the staff I had the pleasure of working with and meeting were professional and a joy to be around. The management team was very supportive all of the way through my term and co-op placement. I learned many skills that I will be able to utilize for my future career opportunities.
Pros
Pleasant and eager staff
Cons
Somewhat of a long commute to work
I worked The July of 2016, and July 2017 four weeks each full Time. I got over 300 community hours from the two months in Total. It was a lot of fun to work with children and Parents alike. I was respected fairly the Second year since I had more experience than the others working there.
Pros
Lots of Fun, Many hours, Good Experience
Cons
Didn't get Shirt when I was supposed to.
i love working with kids, it was a lot of fun, it helped me work on my people skills a bit, as well as I learned to be more of a happy person.
Pros
good people
Cons
long walks for field trips