Stellar Culinary Personnel LTD

Stellar Culinary Personnel LTD Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
I was enjoying working with Stellar as a part timer. Great choices of work opportunities, excellent management always reachable. Owner is a great person and looking forward your interest. I would recommend to anyone who is interested in hospitality business.
I really needed money for the slow season and was able to get placed somewhere every week, which started out pretty great. But it turned out to be a really bad experience with this one client. i told them about it and was able to work out something else for the following week. Even tho the agency helps cooks with freelance work, they’re also helping clients who really need extra help. So situations arne;t always the best. You don’t have to deal with work politics and horrible kitchen managers tho, the team helped me as much as they could for a situation that we couldn't prevent.
Went in for the orientation, was really thorough and answered questions. Igot booked a few weeks after, have been working semi regularly (maybe once or twice a week, esp in jan-feb). People you work with and clients are pretty nice, always be on time and do your work so that the clients will know you and your work ethic. Some clients work might be more exhausting than the others. The pay is on time and everything is communicated well.
i’m not very tech savvy but the staff are really helpful and am able to go to all my shifts with no issue.have been working for 5 months now. worked with a client and was booked there all of Sept-Dec. rlly needed the work so I sometimes did double shifts. Clients will ask u to come back.
i've been doing freelance work for years now and most cooks know how hard it gets during these slower seasons. But i picked up a few gigs with Stellar last yr and ended up doing a long-term contract in the beginning of January. Got along with clients so it was also easy to get bookings regularly.

one con: there are a lot of staff working with them, so you have to be quick to jump at any opportunity before someone else does

Pros: the staff considers your situation and circumstances, very understanding and will help you as best as they can as long as you communicate well
I recently left my other job so i needed work asap. Really easy transition with flexible scheduling.

I picked up shift same week as orientation, office staff was very accommodating and friendly.

u can work with a lot of different clients and cooks within toronto and GTA, helps you get your foot in the door for newer cooks.

Pros

- variety of clients

Cons

- hours vary sometimes
Its a great place to work everyone is helpful and very knowledgeable.
I did various jobs as it is an event company. I did food prep, dishwashing and plating. The boss is a great person you can confide in him and he will help you where ever he can. Some of the events are far so long hours on the subway that's it. The most enjoyable part about the job is every shift you have different staff to work with and you work at different locations for events so you got exposure in all kinds of environments.
Great management and love the hours because you can make your own schedule . Very competitive in salary and you get help from the management.overall great place to.work
Pros
Extra fee for gas ourtside your zone
Cons
I’ve worked for many staffing agencies, never been with one as organized and professional as stellar. Staff response time is really quick and friendly. Been working as a cook on and off for a little less than a year.

Pros:

- Allows you to work at different places with different people, really good way to meet people within the industry

- hard work pays off, if you can do your job well you're fine

- Other opportunities for longer placements. I worked full time at one place for a 3 week commitment

Cons:

- The app gets updated and will glitch sometimes, but staff can help if you contact them
Since that I joined this company I gained a work life balance that I am looking for. I can work on my availability and choose what work load should I accept or not. Besides that you can tell to the management your experience on a certain kitchen and barred them in your file. I am so happy that I can work in various catering companies and hotels.

You act like you are the boss of your own time but the down side is no work no pay.
Cons
- Management is rude and extremely passive-aggressive

- Says $18 an hr, but expect to get pay cuts - they will find any excuse to cut your pay

- Owner and his wife run the business, you can see why management is so terrible, literally biting the hands of employees that FEEDS them

- Unorganized and messy lacks professionalism, tells you that you are not gonna get the agreed pay even though you've been working for 2 months+

- Talks alot of loyalty, but if you don't even honor the pay to your employees, how do you expect loyalty?

- Sad excuse of an employer, stay away, you can find a better gig in Toronto

Pros

- Actual placed establishments are decent, full with chefs you can network with and talk about how terrible Stellar Culinary is

- You can find other chefs running their own agencies that actually pay what they say they pay, and the rate is higher than this garbage agency
- If they don't like you, you will not receive jobs
- they advertised attractive pay but you will get pay cuts within weeks of starting this job, if you ask them about it, they will tell you that it was a "mistake" and try to make it seem like you're at fault

- a lot of passive-aggressiveness by management thru pay cuts, job offers and lack of communication, overall not professional at all

- they don't care about you, because they have many people working for them

- many of my coworkers also experienced pay cuts, totally illegal but a pity to even bring notice to the ministry of labour

- the only reason why i even gave it 2 stars is because the actual workplace is full of energetic people and great for networking among chefs

I would stay far away
If you love cooking and eating this is a great place. Meet new people and different places every time. Places may vary but normally in downtown Toronto. They have a vary position such as line cooking, griller, etc.

Pros

1. Paid higher than standard.

2. Normally minimum 3-4 hours per time

3. The majority the employee is kind and professionally trained.

Cons

1. Need to pay for uniform for $45

2. Almost every job located in downtown Toronto (maybe pro if you live nearby)

3. Didn't follow the regulation properly. Supposed that any job cancelled, the employee will get 50% of the day payment.
Been working for Stellar a few months now, I like that I got freedom to choose where and where I work plus a decent pay. This guys keeping me busy, I love it!
You have to stay on top of jobs as they come and go fast, but I can't complain as far as agencies go this one is pretty good with a good reputation in the industry.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Have to keep up with the jobs updates to get them.
Recommend to work here for a few days per week or to work full time. They have an app to put when you want to work. It pays better than any restaurants. Recommend
You work at several different establishments, parties
The schedule is flexible, you get to choose when you want to work, however this should not be your "full time" job. This is more of a side, extra income
Pros
flexible
Cons
not enough hours
Flexible work hours
can learn/ networking in a various field

meet a lot of different people/ background/ cultures

Good Management/ Quick response/ Problem solves
I have experience as a catering and event cook. This company books me on the days I have off from my other job. Its a good way to make extra money and go to a lot of different locations.
Pros
+ pay every other Friday + nice to work with + respond quickly
Cons
- shifts come through an app and my phone sucks
I've been working with Stellar Culinary Personnel since the middle of 2018 as a prep and event cook. I never worked at a staffing agency before so I didn't know what to expect. I went to an orientation and set up my availability and they went over the company and how it works. I make more than at any other kitchen I've worked at and I can choose my availability. The office staff are really nice and always respond quickly. Pay day is every other Friday. I like working with them and will stay for a while.
Pros
Higher wage, flexible schedule, working with different clients, interesting events
Cons
Merit booking system, so you have to do well to get more shifts (can be a pro for good cooks and chefs)