Stelco

Stelco Employee Reviews for Apprentice Electrician

Apprentice Electrician2 reviews
Canada2 reviews

unionshiftyearbenefitlotpayplaceenvironment

Still a steel core of Hamilton.

Overall great place to work. I was an electrical apprentice with them but I know floor workers have it pretty good. Stelco has a program where they take on co-op apprentices for a year and this is how I came to work for them. They taught me whatever they could get into me while I was there, and paid me well for the time. Stelco gave me a variety of different work to do on any given day. Sometimes we had week long projects, other times we had a checklist to complete for a given shift, great if you like to change things up a bit and not do the same thing day in and day out. Most of the electrical people they have are good people and solid foremen but the company as a whole had a weird politics to it. Maybe I just dont understand the ways of upper management but somethings just came out kind of odd or got held up on silly things. The hardest part of the job is being in some fairly extreme temperatures doing fairly hard/tedious work, which will be true of any electrical job like this the only thing Stelco might have over that is that like any steel mill it has a rough environment. Im thankful for my time with Stelco.

Good for apprentice rate

Good paying position for someone beginning there journey to become an industrial electrician. Friendly environment, good management. Only annoyance was not having the correct parts for the jobs needing to be done.

Insights into Stelco