Stelco

Stelco Employee Reviews

I’ve been working at Stelco for almost 6 years as a 4th class power engineer. The culture of Stelco can vary depending on which department you are employed in as well as if you’re at the Hamilton plant or Lake Erie plant. Lake Erie is definitely where you want to be. In my experience management is easy going and they care about their employees but can sometimes be unorganized. Co-Workers are a huge upside at Stelco, majority of people are very pleasant and it can be fun working here. I’ve made a lot of friendships... sometimes with people you wouldn’t normally interact with but it’s all been positive in my experience ( although I’m sure in some parts of the plant you get some lazy whiners). Pay is exceptional if you’re a production worker with no credentials. Pay for trades and technical work is a little on the low side but still competitive and will soon be on the rise hopefully (it’s annoying that coal sweepers make 5 dollars less than you). The benefits are good, and mostly cover everything you could need. Pension is mediocre but better than nothing and if you’re smart with your bonuses you can make it work. The union are mostly for show and don’t do much for your everyday employee unless your a slacker which then they might protect you.
Pros
Excellent work environment, decent pay
Cons
Na
Union is a joke, management can't organize anything. They don't give a s*it about you or your family outside. The pay is decent but trades are far behind. Unless you have been here 10+ years, look else where for the sake of your sanity.
Pros
Pay
I was a female summer student, so I have to say I had it a little easier than most. The guys on my crew were very helpful and protective of me. It was like having 15 dads looking out for me and joking with me. The culture is male-dominated, so you hear some things you don’t really want to, but as long as you’re pretty easy going, you will get along just fine. There wasn’t a single guy on any of the crews I was on/interacted with that I didn’t enjoy being around. We were paid more than well for our jobs. It could very quickly get hot and dirty, but they had plenty of areas to cool off and did their best to keep you comfortable. Management was good to me. They gave me constructive criticism when needed and never failed to say hello (or give a head nod if they are a little awkward.) The only complaint I have was that the women’s bathroom in the caster is behind the foreman’s office so every time I went to the washroom, he knew about it. Not the endgame job for me, but it was good experience.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, friendly managers, constructive criticism, good pay (shift premiums)
Cons
Hot, dirty, still adjusting to females in the steel making field.
Everyone works well together and are respectful of each other. We also have company outings and lunches or dinners. We also have employee recognition meetings
Everyone that I worked with were amazing, super nice and taught me lots. They gave me experience in all different areas of the plant which was great experience and I greatly appreciate.
Overall great place to work. I was an electrical apprentice with them but I know floor workers have it pretty good. Stelco has a program where they take on co-op apprentices for a year and this is how I came to work for them. They taught me whatever they could get into me while I was there, and paid me well for the time. Stelco gave me a variety of different work to do on any given day. Sometimes we had week long projects, other times we had a checklist to complete for a given shift, great if you like to change things up a bit and not do the same thing day in and day out. Most of the electrical people they have are good people and solid foremen but the company as a whole had a weird politics to it. Maybe I just dont understand the ways of upper management but somethings just came out kind of odd or got held up on silly things. The hardest part of the job is being in some fairly extreme temperatures doing fairly hard/tedious work, which will be true of any electrical job like this the only thing Stelco might have over that is that like any steel mill it has a rough environment. Im thankful for my time with Stelco.
it can be a hard place to work depending on your personality. Good pay and benefits. Worth applying to if you need a good paying job. Can be dirty hot cold and a mix of weather
Pros
good pay, benefits, rrsp
Cons
stressful, at times over worked
Lots of opportunity for advancement and transfers, my experience with management was good, however I witnessed some unfortunate events also. Blame is often shifted onto the union employees, but if you can learn not to take it personally, the benefits and pay seem to be worth it.
Good paying position for someone beginning there journey to become an industrial electrician. Friendly environment, good management. Only annoyance was not having the correct parts for the jobs needing to be done.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Stelco?
Excellent, Productive work culture. Team and individual work. Health and Safety is a priority Competitive work culture remote location, not on bus route
Just do your job and everything will work out. Plenty of opportunities to move around and more desirable jobs become available over time as others retire.
The group i worked with was very organized, there was supervision required as the group worked together like a glove. No gossip or back fighting. very good to work with
Pros
Ian Corbett is a very generous to his people
Cons
to bad it was a temporary job
Horrible place. Undue pressure. no job security. No focus management is lost and unclear on what to do. Hamilton is a very dull city and too boring. Not even a single cafetaria at workplace.
From moment I started tell day I had to move on I was treated like you should be treated by every person I encountered. From Mangment to the sleepy production staff..lol. Will miss them all Pickle Island best place I have worked iworked
worse place to work for and the union is a bunch of donkeys who only care for themselves. wayyyyy to many problems and so many safety violations, dont know how they get away with it.
All salary and hourly personnel are great to work with. Very exciting and faced passed place to work at. Great to have bonuses the better the company does.
Stelco is a great place to work. The office environment is collaborative and people have a team spirit. I saw no finger pointing at all. I was very impressed.
Young Management Team, willing to modernize facilities and old tech. Happy place to work. Union and Management relationships starting to develop positively
Stelco was a great place to work with great and friendly people to work with. The training given there was excellent and the pay and benefits were remarkable.
Thoroughly enjoy working here. Room for growth and advancement. Co-workers are great, location is great, hours of work are great as is the work/life balance.
Never a dull day(Hamilton), lots going on, slower pace. Young management and older crowd of steelworkers. Safety is excellent in this plant. Recent upgrades should be profitable.
  1. Employee reviews