Stelco

Stelco Employee Reviews

Canada56 reviews

unionshiftyearbenefitlotpayplaceenvironment

Union folks are mostly great to work with if you treat them with respect and like a human. Management on the other hand.... LOL. Nothing to say about them.

Poor Management and Dirty

Management has no care in the world. They Don't plan any work, They are inexperienced for their position. Most only have 2 years of college and no Red Seal. No experience in the trades they are expected to manage. The union doesn't care about the trades, so they don't fight to get them the deserved raises.

Pros

Lots of free time

Cons

Union sucks

Insights into Stelco

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

decent place to work

A lot of hury up and wait at this company. Constantly having random jobs dumped on to you and if youre someone who takes pride in their work be ready to pick up after everyone else because those who do not care are not penalized and those who do care are rewarded with more headaches and work.

Poorly managed

You will be frustrated with the way it is run. Management gets bonuses based on productivity so a delay to properly fix a problem is rare. The company seems to cook the books so only managers get big bonuses based on profit. There is virtually no advancement or training and you are forever stuck in the job you are hired for

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Bonuses only paid to managers, nothing works as it should, health and safety only exists to protect the company

Enjoyed my time here and people i worked with

Electronics is the best trade to be in if working for Stelco. Very decent pay and shift work gives you lots of time off when you are past your training which is about a year long

Nice place to work. No pressure from the top management.

No negative reviews from my side. Work atmosphere is relaxed and you have to be self Motivated to find out what needs to be done. On the cons the salary is less as compared to the other companies but we get paid for what we do.

You will want to pull your hair out

The whole company runs on the theory that if they can somewhat make it work, they don’t have to fix it. It’s duct tape and prayers to make it through a shift

Pros

Easy to leard

Cons

Management makes decisions without asking opinions

Poorly Managed, Literally everything is always broken or half assed.

Don’t see this place changing much. management is the worst I’ve ever seen, everything is Micromanaged. They don’t really care about employees well being. The pay was good until the recent inflation, employees will likey be on strike again come June. If you are young and want to make some good money for a short time then i would consider but a far cry for a long term career.

Pros

Profit sharing

Cons

Management and lack of Organization

Broken everything

As aboveNo real true management, no real decision making process there are far too many people running around micromanaging and causing tension It would be amazing if logic was used and equipment was fixed

Pros

Wage is high for no skill set

Cons

Horribly managed

not a good place

Good place if you like to be harassed and have management and union do nothing about it. Union is only for themselves and side with management most of the time and very little help when it comes to serious issues.They rather just take your union dues and do nothing else.Management sucks.Human resources are very pathetic and protect the idiots. Tends to be a very toxic workplace and overall not a good place. Mobile department at the lake is the absolute worse I have ever seen and like going back to grade school. Lot of immature grown men who have nothing better to do than to cause misery to other coworkers and management and Human Resources do nothing to stop it. Very disgusting place to work.

Pros

lots of sleep time and good money

Cons

union, poor management, too many immature coworkers

Stelco BOSC is not for visible minorities

There is no training, the equipment are old and are hardly upgraded or upgraded without proper engineering, the supervisors especially electrical and instrumentation have no clue on the principles of instrumentation or how to manage people of various background, there is no training, the supervisors expect the technicians to perform magic and never see anything good in what you do, lots of back biting and talking behind peoples back, the welder hired to be an electrical and instrumentation supervisor knows nothing about electrical and instrumentation and specializes in making people do unsafe work, favouritism, never sees anything good in what the minorities do, will make you cut corners to get the job done to look good in front of management and just generally talk bad about you the moment you step out, planning is non existent, jobs for instrumentation especially are not known by the supervisors, a highly toxic environment, please do not work here.

Pros

pay, profit, sharing

Cons

favouritism, toxic environment, back biting

Don’t recommend

Union is the worst they protect salary over the union workers.Toxic workplace environment. Your schedule could change week by week.Favouritism between managers and union workersI would recommend taking a 5 dollar pay cut and find another place to work then have the issues working here. If you don’t have mental problems you will have some sort of mental health issue after working here...They promise the world to you but shame you in the ground...good luck oh and might I add the forced rrsp for your retirement isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Benefits

Cons

Toxic environment, favouritism, union, life to work relationship

Power Eng Experience

I’ve been working at Stelco for almost 6 years as a 4th class power engineer. The culture of Stelco can vary depending on which department you are employed in as well as if you’re at the Hamilton plant or Lake Erie plant. Lake Erie is definitely where you want to be. In my experience management is easy going and they care about their employees but can sometimes be unorganized. Co-Workers are a huge upside at Stelco, majority of people are very pleasant and it can be fun working here. I’ve made a lot of friendships... sometimes with people you wouldn’t normally interact with but it’s all been positive in my experience ( although I’m sure in some parts of the plant you get some lazy whiners). Pay is exceptional if you’re a production worker with no credentials. Pay for trades and technical work is a little on the low side but still competitive and will soon be on the rise hopefully (it’s annoying that coal sweepers make 5 dollars less than you). The benefits are good, and mostly cover everything you could need. Pension is mediocre but better than nothing and if you’re smart with your bonuses you can make it work. The union are mostly for show and don’t do much for your everyday employee unless your a slacker which then they might protect you.

Pros

Excellent work environment, decent pay

Cons

Na

$$ only good thing

Union is a joke, management can't organize anything. They don't give a s*it about you or your family outside. The pay is decent but trades are far behind. Unless you have been here 10+ years, look else where for the sake of your sanity.

Pros

Pay

I was a female summer student, so I have to say I had it a little easier than most. The guys on my crew were very helpful and protective of me. It was like having 15 dads looking out for me and joking with me. The culture is male-dominated, so you hear some things you don’t really want to, but as long as you’re pretty easy going, you will get along just fine. There wasn’t a single guy on any of the crews I was on/interacted with that I didn’t enjoy being around. We were paid more than well for our jobs. It could very quickly get hot and dirty, but they had plenty of areas to cool off and did their best to keep you comfortable. Management was good to me. They gave me constructive criticism when needed and never failed to say hello (or give a head nod if they are a little awkward.) The only complaint I have was that the women’s bathroom in the caster is behind the foreman’s office so every time I went to the washroom, he knew about it. Not the endgame job for me, but it was good experience.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, friendly managers, constructive criticism, good pay (shift premiums)

Cons

Hot, dirty, still adjusting to females in the steel making field.

Family owned & run, they take care of their employees

Everyone works well together and are respectful of each other. We also have company outings and lunches or dinners. We also have employee recognition meetings

guys were great to work with

Everyone that I worked with were amazing, super nice and taught me lots. They gave me experience in all different areas of the plant which was great experience and I greatly appreciate.

Still a steel core of Hamilton.

Overall great place to work. I was an electrical apprentice with them but I know floor workers have it pretty good. Stelco has a program where they take on co-op apprentices for a year and this is how I came to work for them. They taught me whatever they could get into me while I was there, and paid me well for the time. Stelco gave me a variety of different work to do on any given day. Sometimes we had week long projects, other times we had a checklist to complete for a given shift, great if you like to change things up a bit and not do the same thing day in and day out. Most of the electrical people they have are good people and solid foremen but the company as a whole had a weird politics to it. Maybe I just dont understand the ways of upper management but somethings just came out kind of odd or got held up on silly things. The hardest part of the job is being in some fairly extreme temperatures doing fairly hard/tedious work, which will be true of any electrical job like this the only thing Stelco might have over that is that like any steel mill it has a rough environment. Im thankful for my time with Stelco.

Interesting

it can be a hard place to work depending on your personality. Good pay and benefits. Worth applying to if you need a good paying job. Can be dirty hot cold and a mix of weather

Pros

good pay, benefits, rrsp

Cons

stressful, at times over worked

Productive area

Lots of opportunity for advancement and transfers, my experience with management was good, however I witnessed some unfortunate events also. Blame is often shifted onto the union employees, but if you can learn not to take it personally, the benefits and pay seem to be worth it.

Good for apprentice rate

Good paying position for someone beginning there journey to become an industrial electrician. Friendly environment, good management. Only annoyance was not having the correct parts for the jobs needing to be done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stelco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Stelco with

Learn about Stelco in popular locations

• Stelco