Steeves and Rozema Group

Insights into Steeves and Rozema Group

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Great Co-workers, Great Management

Featured review

Steeves and Rozema Group selected this as a representative review
Great Co-workers, super helpful and positive, always willing to help. No "that's not my job" attitude.Management has been very fair and reasonable during the craziness that the pandemic has brought. Never without proper PPE for staff on the front lines. This is still a family run company and they are involved and care about the staff.If you want to work they will work with you, great place!

Pros

Accessible Management

8 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Corrupt and incapable management

Management is an absolute joke. All disorganized and should not be managing multiple employees. Annual employee survey is not taken seriously as I complained about management every time and nothing was ever done. Administrator where I worked is completely incompetent, does not follow up with employees or care about work life balance. Terrible communication and takes things personally when criticized. Ruined working in LTC for me. Completely undervalued. Do not recommend working for this company.

Poor place to work for,and underpaid

Poor place to work for,always short never appreciated and underpaid. Wish I had more positive things to say but I don’t. The management do not help out when there is a need for it on the floors

9 May 2022
Though this is not typical of the comments we normally receive, all feedback is important to us. At Steeves & Rozema, we use reviews as a way to listen, learn, and improve wherever possible, and it's feedback like yours that helps us to continue improving as a workplace and a company. We’re extremely proud of the values instilled by our founders and aspire each day to apply them to support our staff and the incredible work they do in caring for the seniors entrusted to our care.

A starting job

I’ve been here for a while now and not a fan of it anymore, management doesn’t treat their employees well, with the two years I’ve worked here I’ve saw 4 cooks, 5 dietary, 3 nurses, 8-10 psw leave. Pay is decent but you get low hours unless you have worked there forever. They will accuse you of things even if you have proof it’s not true, will lie about the job (was told it’s full time with benefits but that wasn’t the case) all and all this place isn’t the best for mental health, especially if you are going through something they will give you a written up or make you quit by cutting back hours. Would not recommend

Pros

Free food, nice co-workers (not management) residents are nice

Cons

Stupid hours, low pay, no benefits unless full time, toxic environment

10 May 2022

Not a great place to work

Management and certain staff members are bullies. Management picks favorites and treats non-favorites terribly. I would not recommend this facility to anyone. They pay very little. There is very poor communication throughout the building. Staff on the floor are drowning in work and management does not try to help. All their facilities have a very tough time keeping staff and it’s obvious why. Do not make the same mistake I did. I would not recommend. All the bad reviews are accurate. I believe the good reviews are made by scared employees.

Pros

Nothing comes to mind

Cons

There is nothing good about this company.

24 January 2022

Not a good place to work or place your family

First off , I know this will get “while this is not a typical opinion bs”. This company is awful , total trash. Perhaps instead of pretending these reviews aren’t “typical” look at how your homes are run ! The bs that is happening you can’t make up ! Perhaps get someone in management who’s actually qualified , a 2 year diploma usually doesn’t cut it in most health care to be a “manager “. The reviews are horrible you’re averaging less than a 3. I wouldn’t put my dog in one of your homes , do better ! Look within!!!!

Pros

Cons

Bad bad management unsafe working conditions unsafe place for the elderly to live

7 December 2021

Great place

Great place to work!Awesome management team and competitive wages.Excellent culture. A special place to work and rewarding career. Amazing residents, families, volunteers and staff!

13 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We appreciate all feedback and we're pleased to hear your experience with S&R is a positive one and that you are enjoying working at our Cambridge site.

Not a company you want to work for

Head office are greedy. Don't care for staff or residents. Place is pathetic to work at. No communications, managers have no experience doing there jobs. They won't help out. Just sit on their butts. They just gossip about everyone. Not recommended

Pros

Cons

Low wages

Over worked and underpaid

Not a very great environment to work in. You are constantly being called in, not scheduled- as it seems they do not want to pay benefits. It is feast or famine with shifts. You cannot have a life if you are dependent on hours and they know this. Pay is not good. Retirement homes aren’t regulated like LTC. So your only increase in pay is in cents every few years when the contract is negotiated.

Pros

Cake every once in awhile.

Cons

No money here

30 September 2021

I very much enjoyed working here

I have worked for Westmount Gardens for many years now. They get a bad rep but it really is from the "unhappy with themselves" staff. Those whom come to work on a regular basis love working here and with eachother. Yes sometimes we work with short with only 3 psw per unit but from what I understand at lots of other homes that is the norm to have 3 people on a unit. we are lucky to have 4 most of the time. We love our co workers ( for the most part all are really nice) and we have a supportive Management team- the only ones who really dont agree would be the ones who are having to be reported. Union is great if you are a trouble worker but they do nothing to protect those who come to work and care about their jobs from the bad coworkers that give WG a bad name. They have a new Administrator and from what I have seen so for I think she shows great support to us workers and trys to see our staff and residents as much as possible. They have good staff apprecation like work xmas parties and staff appreecaiton weeks- bbqs and giveaways. they also have the passport gift cards and I like this for when we are short then it feels a bit better to make more $$ from that. I will be retiring soon but I will forever miss working at Westmount Gardens.

Pros

Never less then 3 psw on a unit

Cons

bad call ins from staff that dont come to work

30 July 2021
Thank you for such positive feedback and glad to hear your experience with us was rewarding for you. We wish you much happiness and good health as you transition to retirement.

Respectful and fun environment

I have been with this company for 6 years and can honestly say Steeves and Rozema is an organization that truly cares for their employees.I really appreciated the warmth and compassion shown for myself and my family during my husbands lengthy illness. Receiving regular calls from our VP to check up on us and offer support helped us through that challenging time.I also truly appreciate their interest in each of my team mates as individuals, especially during this "covid" crisis. I highly recommend this company to anyone who wants to work in a positive environment where people really do matter.

Pros

free lunch, good benefits package and positive work environment

proud

it is such a pleasure to work with a TEAM from all the staff that work together and this includes management ( titles don't matter) we are all here to get the quality job done! so many incentives, staff appreciations, respective culture, all of us are trained in dining, transfers, and GPA so we can all help each other out we work on our home areas so the residents know us and we know them better and as a team we laugh a lot and it is an easy home to fit in and feel welcomedour union is good too

Pros

EVERYONE helps EVERYONE!

30 September 2021
We Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate hearing from our team members and we're glad you have had a good experience with us. It's all about team work and we are very fortunate to have such loyal and dedicated people on our teams. Thank you for being one of them!

Excellent place to work with room for advancement

I have nothing but good things to say about the company. If you come in and do your job there is no issue. Communication is key. If there is something you have going on and communicate that with management they are more than happy to do everything in their power to accommodate. While we were in outbreak and short staffed the whole management team was here long hours every day just like most of our other staff.

Pros

Free meals, competitive wages, benefits, opportunity for advancement within the company, supportive managers, team environment

24 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate hearing from our team members and we're glad you have had a good experience with us. It's also kind of you to acknowledge the hard work and the long hours our management team and your co-workers have been working. It's all about team work and we are very fortunate to have such loyal and dedicated people on our teams. Thank you for being one of them!

I love coming into work each and everyday. I love the team that I work for. The management team is supportive and understanding. I am supported in my role and feel I have the confidence to do the job that I was hired for.

24 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate and encourage feedback. We are fortunate to have some of the best people working for our organization, people like you who truly care and who really do enjoy their job. Thank you for being one of the best!

Family owned company with the founders families still involved.

Great place to work, management is friendly and supportive, family oriented business, management encourages feedback, lots of team building events, fair wages and benefit programs.I enjoy working at S&R as I have always felt like part of the bigger family. They care about their team members and promoting from within.This has been a crazy year with covid and I've watched my team members and managers work long hard hours to get the job done. It's all about being a member of a team at S&R.

Pros

family oriented, friendly, supportive work environment where input is encouraged.

24 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's always nice to hear from our team members and comments such as yours remind us that what we do does make a difference in the lives of others. Thank you for sharing and we hope you will be with us for many years to come!

If you are willing to work, they will work with you.

Read many a negative review for this company. So unfair. If you go in and do your job, you will have no problems. Each location is different management so I can only speak for the locations I have worked. They have been great. Times are stressful for everyone. Stop and think if you would really like to be in their position for the past year. Difficult decisions and the lives of so many they are responsible for. As previously stated, if you are willing to work, you can have an enjoyable experience with this company.

Pros

Free lunch and dinners at care facilities

25 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Supervisor with S&R. We appreciate your feedback and comments such as yours remind us that what we do does make a difference in the lives of others. Thank you for sharing and we hope you will be with us for many years to come!

This place is Toxic!

90% of the employee are spending 5-6 hrs./day in office rumours, politics, back stabbing.A typical day at work includes 50% doing other peoples job.Avoid unless you are starving.

Pros

Nothing comes to mind

Cons

HR loves your gossip.

25 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I'm sorry to hear you're experience hasn't been what you'd hoped it would be but by taking the time to share your comments helps us to make the changes necessary so that our team members will have good experiences.

Terrible place to work

I used to love my job , then we got new management who treat everyone poorly and clearly do not care about the residents . Management bullies staff, and god forbid they ever step on the floor to help when we’re short staffed (which is always ) Residents and co workers were great .

Pros

Residents and co workers

Cons

Always short, poor management

25 June 2021

Not worth investing your time and energy. The bad reviews are accurate.

Mission Value statement does not reflect the actions. A revolving employee door and POOR onsite management incapable of making lasting positive change.I DO NOT recommend working for this company.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Too many to list

25 June 2021

This family owned company has the same values that are important to me and I love my job with them.

The atmosphere here is relaxed and enjoyable. You can really be yourself and no one here is uptight or controlling. I find management is approachable and make time for me when I have a concern.Its been a hard time due to COVID but S&R has always made me feel that they appreciate what I do and have always have had PPE and what we need to feel safe. I love being here for the residents especially at this difficult time.

Pros

Staff get free lunches and dinners

8 February 2021

Wouldn’t recommend working for this company

This company don’t care about its staff at all they will work you to no end give no thanks for nothing work during a pandemic and don’t even get so much as a pizza party say thanks for sticking it out . Management at the home gossip about staff with other staff and each other nothing is confidential period they love you when you take a lot shifts minute you say no you are nothing to them. They will take advantage of you if you allow it terrible place to work and horrible company

Pros

Co workers are great

25 June 2021

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steeves and Rozema Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement