Steele Auto Group Management reviews

Great people working there, but management is only concerned about the bottom line
Lead Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB5 September 2019
i would never work here again, no room for advancement or raises, management does not car about employees. the just care about the bottom line and do not care about the employees
Not your typical call centre
Automotive Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kempt Road, Halifax NS26 July 2019
Can I just say, I love my job! It's only a small centre, so doesn't have the same 1 in 500 feel of a typical large call centre. Managers are approachable and attentive, we can voice our concerns without issue and they try to make it a fun, team based environment! Yes, there are calls to be made and you won't get rich in the role but the hours are great, there is a monthly bonus if you work smart and the new office is awesome!
Pros
Small, new office, great hours, bonus, benefits, management
Cons
Pay could be better, that's about it!
low morale, no respect, pay below industry standard
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 February 2019
with over 30 years as an auto technician i can say the 2 steele owned car dealers ive worked at were the worst places i have ever worked,,
both operated to the same guide lines with maximizing company profits by regularly taking advantage of employees at every opportunity,,
the management are completely unqualified to lead,
mostly because of the low pay, they wouldn't attract any real professional with leadership quality's and experience,
they treat technicians as uneducated labour , and give no perks, not even a turkey at x-mas, nothing,
lunches are frowned upon and forget about breaks,
they made up their own flat rate book at the second dealer i was at that paid far less than industry accepted manuals such as chilton and motor, and only followed dealer times when it suited their interests,,
the easier ,money making jobs , like brakes etc. all go to apprentices and steele invest nothing in their learning towards journeymen status,
the difficult ,low paying work goes to the more senior experienced techs,
its very hard to make an 8hr day if your a journeyman, you need to be somewhat resourceful, or just out right crooked, which seemed to be un-spokenly encouraged, especially financially,
all departments seem to work against each other, i never understood the reasoning in that,
just a terrible and toxic place to work, it amazes me i stayed there as long as i did, lots of empty promises,,
Pros
picing on car parts at 10% above cost
Cons
low pay, long hours, toxic work enviorment, no bonus or perks, no respect, no parking for employees, could never get time off apporved, 6years to get 3 weeks vaccation, no raise in 8 years
Horrible management
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 February 2019
Shop manager does not know how to run the place. Just cares what the big boss sees. Doesn’t interact with any technicians. Horrible place to work for. Anyone in the shop will tell you that.
Cons
Lack of work and management
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 January 2019
Not a good place to work. Moral is very low through our company. Would not recommend this place to my ex wife. Just not a fun place to work. Management very selfish.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Lack of work
Productive workplace with positive attitudes
Vehicle Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL19 October 2018
Great place to work with an always moving forward attitude, management are always trying to help staff with furthering their career within the company.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
communication
Not a Good Place to work (Steele Group Newfoundland)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 September 2018
The top Management Team have No Respect for any of their employees...There is a constant turn over of staff from the wash bay to the sales dept. (NO MORALE WHAT SO EVER)
Pros
Nothing Good To Say
Cons
Always asked to give extra time /nothing given back in return
Good Place
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 February 2018
Very good place to work. People are nice and easy to get along with. Very fast paced when busy. management will take care of you when you are stuck. Lots of money making opportunity.
Pros
Money making
Cons
Can be a long day
Work Culture not for everyone
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 September 2017
Tough industry and even tougher work culture. Pay scale not great. Constant changing management. Room for advancement but undesirable compensation. Very competitive.
Good Learning experience
Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 May 2017
Needs more assertive management and qualified people with people skills. Current management needs to be impartial and not be part of proffered groups.
Not a bad place to work, but no job security and some managers were push overs for other managers.
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS4 May 2017
Had a great time working there,met some cool people and worked with them as well, management is bad tho. departments were not communicating well with others, causes wrong pats to be picked for orders.
Pros
get paid
Cons
no job security.
An All Right Place to Be.
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 April 2017
Steele Auto Group is a huge family of companies all grouped together. I worked in the Mazda store and at the Head office. I held several different Administrative positions, as well as a Customer Relations Assistant in the Service Department. All jobs were very hands on with customers and problem solving skills are a must. The training I received was suited to all my positions.
The management staff are reluctant to talk about advancement and pay increases, in relation to increase in responsibilities. They also tend to burn bridges with folks upon leaving a position for another.
Pros
Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Not willing to pay for skill
Customers matter if friends with management. Employees don't matter at all.
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 December 2016
Fredericton location (formerly OLeary's): Customers are overcharged and information on costs are hidden. If customer finds out, there's always a good excuse to cover it up. The service manager is inconsistent and incompetent. Upper management turns a blind eye. Employees are disregarded and humiliated. Opinions don't matter. Questioning status quo is strongly frowned upon. No recognition for a job well done, but lots of attention for small mistake. Steele head office seems to have no idea what really goes on, and strong efforts are made to keep them in the dark when they visit. Maybe a good place to work to make some cash while you look for something better, but don't expect to make a career of it.
Pros
Some of the co-workers.
Cons
Long hours, no teamwork, no recognition.
Job Summary
Automotive Service Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 December 2016
I enjoyed the first few months working for Steele Subaru. As time went on I was given jobs and responsibilities that I was not qualified for. I did my best, got the job done. In return, I was yelled at told I am dumb and verbally assaulted.
Pros
Lots of Hours
Cons
Shop management was poor
Awesome i love it
mechanic (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 November 2016
Steele Subaru is the best company i have ever worked for mostly due to management knowing how to operate. everyone is very respectful of each other, mistakes are dealt with swiftly and professionally. i have never knew a dealership could be so efficient.
"Family Matters" ... but employees don't
service advisor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS12 November 2016
Basically, management isn't interested in the benefit or growth of their employees, or how well they are compensated, or whether or not they even have a work-life balance. They expect the employees to be absolutely perfect. If they receive a complaint, they aren't even interested in the employee's side of the story. It's stressful, overbearing, and extremely poorly managed. The GM even admitted that the service advisor job is the most stressful and demanding - yet it's the least paid in the entire auto group. If you're interested in a job where you will feel undervalued and stressed out, this is the job for you.
Cons
Bad management
Good atmosphere, good people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 April 2016
Working for Steele Auto Group was different. I worked for 3 different stores within Steele.

While at the first 2 (same lot) it was great. I met some amazing people, both employees and customers, and learned a lot.

While at the last store, I didn't enjoy myself as much as I hoped I would. The management in HR was very disrespectful and had alot of empty promises.

The hardest part of the job wouldve had to have been remembering everyones name, and remembering customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people that i worked with and the relationships i made with certain customers.
Pros
Great customers, Great atmostphere
Cons
Rude management
Sales Consultant
Vehicle Sales & Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 December 2015
Enjoyed working with this company under the supervision of current management and ownership in 2015. Long hours but good people and good environment, if you can stand to live off the ups and downs of commission.
Pros
Lunches given on long days.
Cons
Expected to work many hours.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales consultant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 October 2015
Lots of training and good management, get to meet lots of people !
Must be able to manage time and put lots of extra work into the job to make money.
Great place to learn about cars, car value, and the upkeep of your vehicles!
Auto Detailer/ Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 February 2014
I loved working for all the Steele dealerships. They were a great group of companies to be employed by. The management was great, friendly and never afraid to speak up when they needed something done, and the management always had a very soft approach when it came to dealing with any issues at all.

The people and atmosphere were positive and I really liked that part of the job.

I was given the opportunity to drive every type of luxury car on the market and was in charge of organizing the cars on the lots. It was a really fun job and gained a lot of knowledge of cars from this job.

I was in charge of moving, parking, and detailing vehicles for test drives and sales. I also was responsible for driving the vehicles to other dealerships if they were being sold or moved to another location, so in turn, I was able to gain more driving experience and learned how to handle different models and makes. It was a great first job and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Pros
Drive luxury cars, fun job, great co-workers.
Cons
Tedious cleaning jobs, sometimes very repetitive, no room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steele Auto Group. Our community is ready to answer.