Steele Auto Group Employee Reviews

Don't work for this company - people are not important
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS27 December 2019
Was a manager and received no support. No one cared how I felt about anything and staff turn over was crazy. Over 20 people left 1 dealership in a year unhappy. Could not address any behavior issues and they only care about $$$. Worse and most unprofessional environment I've ever seen.
Horrible Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 December 2019
What can I say, upper management talks about wanting to create a positive environment to attract top talent but then wonders why they can't hire top talent, or actively lets it go for no reason. Pay is average to poor, no job security, expensive benefits etc... I can't think of a single reason you'd want to work here over any other job out there. The only legitimate perk is you get a good discount on parts and service
(thesales incentive or discount is a joke)
Disorganized
Automotive Detailer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 December 2019
Easy place to work except for the fact that you are expected to wash 50 cars a day which is impossible, yelled at for being to slow. Management has no respect for the people working in the wash bay. However the benefits are good if you can make it past three months.
No appreciation or support
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS13 December 2019
Over my time spent with Steele auto the store was a revolving door , could not keep employees due to the poor management & environment. No room for advancement with in the company unless you are in good with management, even when short staffed and employees are asked to fill multiple positions . Managers and HR like to bully & dismiss employees problems and concerns due to their own egos . Employees are not always compensated for the work performed and have to fight for what is deserved. Your better off to look else where for work , as your not appreciated with this employer .
Would not recommend
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS30 November 2019
Management is incompetent. The departments all work against each other and you’re the one who gets the backlash from it. Very low morale. Coworkers are great. Hard to get paid times properly. Most enjoyable part of the day is leaving when your shift is over.
very stressful place to work
building manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS28 November 2019
worked for carroll auto group for 8 years before steele bought them out.had two heartattacks in 1 year and was pushed out.dont care about the employee only numbers
Bad management.
Apprentice Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 September 2019
I was hired on as an apprentice with 8000 hours experience. They didn’t supply me with my own bay. I didn’t receive jobs for more than one day at a time and ultimately was fired for not having work.
Great people working there, but management is only concerned about the bottom line
Lead Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB5 September 2019
i would never work here again, no room for advancement or raises, management does not car about employees. the just care about the bottom line and do not care about the employees
Not your typical call centre
Automotive Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kempt Road, Halifax NS26 July 2019
Can I just say, I love my job! It's only a small centre, so doesn't have the same 1 in 500 feel of a typical large call centre. Managers are approachable and attentive, we can voice our concerns without issue and they try to make it a fun, team based environment! Yes, there are calls to be made and you won't get rich in the role but the hours are great, there is a monthly bonus if you work smart and the new office is awesome!
Pros
Small, new office, great hours, bonus, benefits, management
Cons
Pay could be better, that's about it!
low morale, no respect, pay below industry standard
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 February 2019
with over 30 years as an auto technician i can say the 2 steele owned car dealers ive worked at were the worst places i have ever worked,,
both operated to the same guide lines with maximizing company profits by regularly taking advantage of employees at every opportunity,,
the management are completely unqualified to lead,
mostly because of the low pay, they wouldn't attract any real professional with leadership quality's and experience,
they treat technicians as uneducated labour , and give no perks, not even a turkey at x-mas, nothing,
lunches are frowned upon and forget about breaks,
they made up their own flat rate book at the second dealer i was at that paid far less than industry accepted manuals such as chilton and motor, and only followed dealer times when it suited their interests,,
the easier ,money making jobs , like brakes etc. all go to apprentices and steele invest nothing in their learning towards journeymen status,
the difficult ,low paying work goes to the more senior experienced techs,
its very hard to make an 8hr day if your a journeyman, you need to be somewhat resourceful, or just out right crooked, which seemed to be un-spokenly encouraged, especially financially,
all departments seem to work against each other, i never understood the reasoning in that,
just a terrible and toxic place to work, it amazes me i stayed there as long as i did, lots of empty promises,,
Pros
picing on car parts at 10% above cost
Cons
low pay, long hours, toxic work enviorment, no bonus or perks, no respect, no parking for employees, could never get time off apporved, 6years to get 3 weeks vaccation, no raise in 8 years
Horrible management
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 February 2019
Shop manager does not know how to run the place. Just cares what the big boss sees. Doesn’t interact with any technicians. Horrible place to work for. Anyone in the shop will tell you that.
Cons
Lack of work and management
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 January 2019
Not a good place to work. Moral is very low through our company. Would not recommend this place to my ex wife. Just not a fun place to work. Management very selfish.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Lack of work
Productive workplace with positive attitudes
Vehicle Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL19 October 2018
Great place to work with an always moving forward attitude, management are always trying to help staff with furthering their career within the company.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
communication
Not a Good Place to work (Steele Group Newfoundland)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 September 2018
The top Management Team have No Respect for any of their employees...There is a constant turn over of staff from the wash bay to the sales dept. (NO MORALE WHAT SO EVER)
Pros
Nothing Good To Say
Cons
Always asked to give extra time /nothing given back in return
Bdc pays terrible
BDC EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS26 July 2018
You think at a call center type setting they would pay you the call centre wages but that's not the case.You work a mininum wage job an hope you can get in a dealership that appreciates you bringing them in the buisness .That's not the case however.
PROS 8-5 Monday to Friday
Cons You are expected to work at call center pace, but paid less then a Tim Hortons employee .For being such a large company you would think they would want to keep their employees.You're a dime a dozen to them .Don't exspect to have any importance you will be replaced as quick as you came in .
Friendly Staff with work out facility on site
Junior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 May 2018
Very friendly staff that worked together to get the job done. Learnt basic accounting during my time there, lots of repetitive tasks but were needed for the business to succeed. Snacks and coffee were always available for their employees, which was a nice benefit. The hardest part of the Job was attempting to complete tasks with minimum training however they were always willing to help and answer any questions you had.
Pros
Free Snacks and Coffee
Cons
Repetitive tasks
Productive, great management, easy to work for.
Detailer/Lot Driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS20 March 2018
Great place to work overall, the people there are friendly and welcoming. Nice building with great staff room and food. Would recommend this job to anyone interested in the car industry.
Pros
Safe work environment
Cons
6 days a week
This was my work term
Business Administrator - Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL8 March 2018
I worked here for 8 weeks on a work term. I learned a lot, the staff are amazing. I only wish there had been a job for me there when my work term was completed.
I can't comment on salary or advancement, as I was on an unpaid, scheduled work term. I can just say that I enjoyed getting up every day, and being greeted by the wonderful people who embraced me and filled me with so much knowledge and positivity!
Great Place to work
Detailer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 March 2018
I work in the detailing department so my typical day would consist of detailing mainly sold vehicles before delivery. For me I enjoy detailing so I like the job.
Good Place
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 February 2018
Very good place to work. People are nice and easy to get along with. Very fast paced when busy. management will take care of you when you are stuck. Lots of money making opportunity.
Pros
Money making
Cons
Can be a long day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steele Auto Group. Our community is ready to answer.